You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Liverpool linked with Ajax midfielder Ryan Gravenberch

TLW

Ryan Gravenberch is the latest name being touted as a possible replacement for Gini Wijnaldum according to reports.

The ever-dependable 30 year-old is keeping his cards very close to his chest regarding where he will be playing next season.

But the longer that there is no news regarding a re-signing with the Reds, the reality increases that he will depart the club with Barcelona the likely destination.

There is little doubt that the club would be prepared for both scenarios and therefore would have a number of alternatives on the table if the popular Dutchman does depart.

Gravenberch is seen as one of the brightest young talents on the Dutch footballing scene.

Coming through the famed Ajax academy, he started his senior career with Jong Ajax, which is the Dutch giants’ reserve team which play in the second division. 

His talent from a young age was clearly evident and so much so that he was quickly, promoted to the senior squad and broke the record for the youngest Ajax player to ever play in the Eredivisie at just 16 years and 130 days, breaking the 26 year club record set by Clarence Seedorf.

The 18 year-old starlet has represented his country at every level from the U/16 to the senior squad.

Gravenberch claimed his first first senior cap just last month in the World Cup qualifier against Turkey.

Former Ajax legend Ronald De Boer gave the youngster incredibly high praise recently  saying  “(Mattias) De Ligt might have been an exception at that age, but Gravenberch has unrivalled qualities.”

image.png

The midfielder made two appearances against the Reds this season in the Champions League group stage where he certainly did not look out of place.

The Express via Italian outlet Gazzetta dello Sport say Liverpool and Chelsea are two of the favourites to sign the midfielder.

The transfer fee is speculated to be around £30million (€35m).

Standing at a imposing 6 ft.3, Gravenberch is seen as versatile, initially as a attacking midfielder, but has developed his game to such a extent where he is now seen as very dependable in the holding role.

He has averaged 1.52 interceptions and 1.16 successful tackles in 25 league games this season while his performances in the Champions League (5 tackles/ 1.83 interceptions) and Europa League (3 tackles/3 interceptions per game) are even more impressive.

On the creative side, Gravenberch has scored three goals in the league and recorded five assists with a successful passing percentage of 86.12%.

Whether Liverpool sign Gravenberch or not, it seems like he will be an emerging star of the game  in the years to come. 

View full article

He looked very good against us.

We could do with another tall bastard in the team as well. Himself and Fabinho rolling around the midfield like two NBA players would be a fun watch.

Gravenberch looked a very good player when we played Ajax, a midfield all-rounder like Seedorf. If he develops into anything like his illustrious predecessor (who was also a teenager when starring in that brilliant 1990s Ajax side), then he will be an exceptional player. That said, if he's anything like Seedorf on penalties, best to keep him away from them!

We will be getting rid of at least 2 midfielders in the summer so if this guy is a genuine target, he needs to be durable at the very least. I feel more emphasis needs to be placed on durability than technical ability. We've had too many cases of players with talent and ability simply unable to get on the pitch because they keep breaking down.

• 2 years later...

To be honest I just don't think he enjoys games like that where you have to fight for the right to play. Klopp was in a difficult place, it was him or Elliot and neither of them thrive in these types of matches. I can't even say klopp got it wrong as there was nothing to suggest Elliot can do better from the start in what we've seen this season. This game just came at the wrong time for us. Had it been 3 or 4 weeks along and robbo and Trent were back and properly fit, we could have given Trent a run in midfield and played Gomez at RB. I don't want to see gravenberch or Elliot start another league game this season. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be honest I just don't think he enjoys games like that where you have to fight for the right to play. Klopp was in a difficult place, it was him or Elliot and neither of them thrive in these types of matches. I can't even say klopp got it wrong as there was nothing to suggest Elliot can do better from the start in what we've seen this season. This game just came at the wrong time for us. Had it been 3 or 4 weeks along and robbo and Trent were back and properly fit, we could have given Trent a run in midfield and played Gomez at RB. I don't want to see gravenberch or Elliot start another league game this season. 

None of our options were any good as soon as the news of Dom hit. They got us at a lucky point where Endo isn't back. Thiago is just back and I wouldn't trust Harvey or Gravenberch in any game nevermind that one. Even with all that it still took a monumental fuck up for us to lose it. Arsenal won't be anywhere near the title come May. Oh and I fucking hate that twat manager of theirs.

24 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

The right side of him & Gakpo was painful to watch last night. 

I think they do a lot of similar things. They both have a great knack of spinning players or edging the ball away and charging into space. But equally part of what makes that work is the gangly nature of them and when the defender is a bit stronger and smarter, the ball doesn't stick with either. I always think klopp likes players to be quite unique, to give him lots of different options. But these two for me, so much of what is good and bad about them is the same, it surprises me when klopp puts them both in the team.

Arsenal are a big team, both with strength and height. I guess grav got the nod yesterday as klopp thought he'd bring more physically than Elliot. If Nunez was a truly tactical choice, why he also picked gakpo is baffling. To be honest, I'd sooner have seen Nunez start and gakpo in midfield. But that's easy with hindsight. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think they do a lot of similar things. They both have a great knack of spinning players or edging the ball away and charging into space. But equally part of what makes that work is the gangly nature of them and when the defender is a bit stronger and smarter, the ball doesn't stick with either. I always think klopp likes players to be quite unique, to give him lots of different options. But these two for me, so much of what is good and bad about them is the same, it surprises me when klopp puts them both in the team.

Arsenal are a big team, both with strength and height. I guess grav got the nod yesterday as klopp thought he'd bring more physically than Elliot. If Nunez was a truly tactical choice, why he also picked gakpo is baffling. To be honest, I'd sooner have seen Nunez start and gakpo in midfield. But that's easy with hindsight. 

For me its not even hindsight, he started with Elliott & Gakpo on the right side in the FA cup game and that was painful too. 

If Nunez was fit enough to start, he should have started, with Diaz on the right instead of Gakpo. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

For me its not even hindsight, he started with Elliott & Gakpo on the right side in the FA cup game and that was painful too. 

If Nunez was fit enough to start, he should have started, with Diaz on the right instead of Gakpo. 

Why not Jota when he just had a great game there?