Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Real Madrid 3 Liverpool 1 (Apr 6 2021)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Mané is putting loads of effort in and you can see he's getting really frustrated. I don't know if its long Covid related or not, but he is proper fucking shit at the moment. Not just one of those where a players loses form. He's lost everything. 

Agreed. Mane is a shadow of the explosive player we've seen the past few years. What he's scored this season? 10 goals? That's shocking given our entire approach relies upon those two wide forward positions contributing 20+ goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'm not sure he's worth the money, he's had a long spell where we shit ourselves when he has the ball at his feet. 

He doesn't seem to save a lot of shots, very rarely he seems to bail us out, certainly in comparison with other keepers that we see come to Anfield and make save after save. All keepers are capable of one-off games, not just Alisson. 

 

I just dont think he's motivated to develop, he knows he's the starter, much like what happed with De Gea.  

 

Maybe the trick is to swap your keepers every 2 years.

 

https://www.footballcritic.com/top-players/goalkeepers


This is not new, that a keeper with superb positioning gets criticised because he doesnt have to throw himself after the ball as much as a shite keeper will, I mean. 
 

Alisson is not a problem at all, the only problem with Alisson is that he pick up injuries. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2021 at 12:22, Total Longo said:

Are you suggesting Bobby is gone and we get rid of Mane??

Not sure whether Bobby goes or stays. My point is if we can get a big fee for Mane it may be time to cash in. All 3 need replacing in the next few years so it might be wise to at least get a decent fee for one of them. Mo is still performing so I'd keep him around and Bobby hasn't been good enough for 2 seasons to command any sort of fee. Plus there's always a risk his dip in form may be permanent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agreed. Jota, Mané, Salah would work if we're playing a side that defends man for man like Atalanta did in the game in Bergamo, which happens so rarely, or if we're looking to counter all game. 

 

But we're a side that usually wants to play out from the back and have lots of possession, so having 3 strikers that all don't usually want to play deeper or are any good at involving themselves in the midfield, just doesn't make much sense. Madrid pressed us so easily and no one in the front was effectively coming short for an out ball. That's what people are missing with wanting to drop Firmino.

 

Two years ago yeah this was accurate. But Firmino has played in fucking loads of games this season where we have barely been able to muster a shot. It's not just his fault by any means, but let's not kid ourselves here that Salah and Mané are better with this version of Firmino alongside them, because they aren't.

 

It works great in theory (and it worked great on the pitch for a couple of years) but you can count on one hand the number of good attacking performances we've had with those three in tandem this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave u said:

 

Two years ago yeah this was accurate. But Firmino has played in fucking loads of games this season where we have barely been able to muster a shot. It's not just his fault by any means, but let's not kid ourselves here that Salah and Mané are better with this version of Firmino alongside them, because they aren't.

 

It works great in theory (and it worked great on the pitch for a couple of years) but you can count on one hand the number of good attacking performances we've had with those three in tandem this season.

My point is, I don't think Mane, Jota, Salah is the answer because you need the player that will link the midfield with the attack, whether that's Firmino, Shaqiri or someone else of that profile. Especially when you don't have a player like Thiago to find the forward pass though the lines.

 

Otherwise you just have 3 forwards who do similar things on the pitch or you make one of those 3 play deeper, which I don't get why you'd want that. The strength of all those 3 is making runs in behind and receiving the ball on the run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't disagree with that. Right now I'd drop Sadio and play Jota left, but that's only because of just how genuinely awful he's been playing. If Mané was even half decent I wouldn't even consider Firmino and I'd roll with the other three, even if it isn't the perfect balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Code said:


This is not new, that a keeper with superb positioning gets criticised because he doesnt have to throw himself after the ball as much as a shite keeper will, I mean. 
 

Alisson is not a problem at all, the only problem with Alisson is that he pick up injuries. 

 

 

Do you not think that the 'superb positioning' thing is a bit counter-intuitive though?  So his positioning is so good that he avoids having to make saves, to the point that when he IS called into action he's too cold?  I just think we leak too many goals from a pretty low number of attempts on our goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think Alli is in the form of 18-24 months ago. I think he's shipped a number of goals recently he'd have kept out in that previous period. He isnt on top, top form. There again, most of his teammates are under performing as well plus, losing his father is still probably raw for him.

 

In my opinion, it's a bit daft shouting about selling or dropping Alli. We're in an exceptional season and clearly results arent going the way we all want. Im expecting a big improvement next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's utterly mental to be talking about dropping him because even when not at his best he's miles better than any other option we have, especially with Kelleher still injured.

 

His form isn't good but that puts him in a group of around a dozen other players. Very few are in good form, and some are in woeful form. The rest are all in the same category as Alisson.

 

It's incredible how so many of these players are just way off where they normally are.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dave u said:

 

Two years ago yeah this was accurate. But Firmino has played in fucking loads of games this season where we have barely been able to muster a shot. It's not just his fault by any means, but let's not kid ourselves here that Salah and Mané are better with this version of Firmino alongside them, because they aren't.

 

It works great in theory (and it worked great on the pitch for a couple of years) but you can count on one hand the number of good attacking performances we've had with those three in tandem this season.

I still think this is a systemic issue with our fast CBs out more than anything else. We no longer win the ball high up the pitch, and all three suffer because of it.

 

Bobby's the easy scapegoat because his numbers have dropped from an already lower level. Playing-wise, both Mane and Salah have been just as bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, lebron said:

I still think this is a systemic issue with our fast CBs out more than anything else. We no longer win the ball high up the pitch, and all three suffer because of it.

 

Bobby's the easy scapegoat because his numbers have dropped from an already lower level. Playing-wise, both Mane and Salah have been just as bad.


That might be a point, but for our attackers benefit we are missing something more important, the early balls in behind from the back.

 

These stats illustrates pretty good what we are missing, and this is one of the things we really have been missing with Van Dijk out.

 

81B8B5C0-1A03-4812-A4CE-5E4542E88782.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dave u said:

 

It's incredible how so many of these players are just way off where they normally are.

The flip side of that is there are a fair few who were above where they had even been prior to that run. Some maybe finding their level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Code said:


That might be a point, but for our attackers benefit we are missing something more important, the early balls in behind from the back.

 

These stats illustrates pretty good what we are missing, and this is one of the things we really have been missing with Van Dijk out.

 

81B8B5C0-1A03-4812-A4CE-5E4542E88782.jpeg

 

There's a hell of a lot more wrong with the front three than them missing out on three or four long passes per game they'd normally be getting.

 

Not saying that isn't a contributing factor, but that isn't the reason why Sadio now looks like a Sunday league player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Allison has mitigating circumstances, tbh.  Yeah, he’s not been up to par, but I have to cut him some slack with what he’s been dealing with. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×