You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

An absolute fucking disaster of a season

I know it doesn't really add much to the discussion about the football season, but my favourite Carly Simon song is Let the river run.

This song was used quite prominently in the film Working Girl starring Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver. I often think it would have been quite cool to be have been an office worker in 1980s New York.

Apropos of nothing, Sigourney Weaver's real name is Susan.

• Upvote 1

Although I'm in a foul mood today, I'd like to point out that if we score the first goal next week, it's very, very much game on.

We've dug ourselves out of deeper holes than this.

There aren't half some absolute mewling quims on this forum. It's like Istanbul, Dortmund, Barcelona and others never happened. 

I'm not saying we will go through next week, but I'm certainly not throwing the towel in and neither should anybody else. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Although I'm in a foul mood today, I'd like to point out that if we score the first goal next week, it's very, very much game on.

There aren't half some absolute mewling quims on this forum. It's like Istanbul, Dortmund, Barcelona and others never happened. 

I'm not saying we will go through next week, but I'm certainly not throwing the towel in and neither should anybody else. 

There's around 50,000 reasons why this match isn't like the ones you've mentioned.

Just now, Baltar said:

There's around 50,000 reasons why this match isn't like the ones you've mentioned.

IMO, this is a simple question...

Do you think we can go 1-0 up next week?

If the answer is yes, there is absolutely no reason to think we can't qualify. 

If the answer is no, then I don't know what to say.

Just now, Scott_M said:

IMO, this is a simple question...

Do you think we can go 1-0 up next week?

If the answer is yes, there is absolutely no reason to think we can't qualify. 

If the answer is no, then I don't know what to say.

I think the real question is can we keep a clean sheet next week? 

I don't see it personally.

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

I think the real question is can we keep a clean sheet next week? 

I don't see it personally.

I'm not saying we will go through next week, but I still believe we can.

If we score first, it's game on. I can't believe anybody isn't confident we can take the lead in this game.

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The decision not to sign a proper centre back in January really fucked us.

It's even more bizarre to me that we are allegedly signing someone like Konate in the summer! Why not offer Leipzig a bit more in January to get him in then instead of signing Preston players? 

I ageee with the sentiment but Konate wouldn’t have helped last night.

Just now, Jairzinho said:

I believe we can go 1-0 up. I don't believe we will finish the game with a score line that would take us through.

Maybe not but it's absolutely game on if we do.

It's inconceivable we'll play as poorly as last night and all 3 goals should have been avoided.

Even for you thats pathetic. You seriously can't spot the difference?

I hope I'm wrong and you are right and I'm eating enormous humble pie next week, but this team is not the same one I witnessed for two thirds of last season. In no way shape or form.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

It's inconceivable we'll play as poorly as last night and all 3 goals should have been avoided.

We haven't won a match at Anfield since the end of last year and we've been beaten by some true dross like Brighton, Fulham and Burnley.

We will have to be exceptionally switched on from the off. Every player will have to be on top of their game. I just can't see it.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Even for you thats pathetic. You seriously can't spot the difference?

I hope I'm wrong and you are right and I'm eating enormous humble pie next week, but this team is not the same one I witnessed for two thirds of last season. In no way shape or form.

Yes, I clearly saw last night and I'm really fucking annoyed about it today. It was a poor team selection & a poor performance. IMO, we're not out of it. Considering what this club has achieved down the years, I can't believe anybody who thinks we are out of it. 

It's very conceivable we play a lot better than we did last night and still can't find a way to score. Zidane isn't seen as a very tactical coach but he got his tactics absolutely spot on last night. Their shape took advantage of the flaws in our system perfectly. They'll do exactly the same at Anfield.

Everyone's already pointed out the lack of fans issue so I won't bother doing that again.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We haven't won a match at Anfield since the end of last year and we've been beaten by some true dross like Brighton, Fulham and Burnley.

We will have to be exceptionally switched on from the off. Every player will have to be on top of their game. I just can't see it.

When the going gets tough and all that.......

Maybe you're quitting on your stool, I'll bet the team aren't.

Yes, I clearly saw last night and I'm really fucking annoyed about it today. It was a poor team selection & a poor performance. IMO, we're not out of it. Considering what this club has achieved down the years, I can't believe anybody who thinks we are out of it. 

Last season and the one before i would absolutely believe this team would turn this tie around.

Do i believe this team right now will?

No....i just don't, and they have shown nothing this season at all to give me any belief they can.

I want to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

One of the worst things about this season was Klopp playing Jota in a pointless game and getting him injured. A lot of the disaster this season hinged on that terrible decision. 

Didn’t Jota cover for an injury in that game?

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

3-1 is not at all impossible to turn around, but the vibes for lack of a better term, just aren't conducive to a big comeback. Not this season.

We don't look like comeback kids this season. Playing against Real Madrid is one of the biggest games in world football and most of our players look like they we forced to play by their parents. Too many players have called it in this season. It was like the Everton game we should of been well up for it and the first half performance was a slap in the face for how timid and poor it was. We can beat these but its going to be about attitude.

Theres valid reasons for us to be a shadow of the team of the last few seasons but some players are putting in too many scruffy performances. The whole club is having a mare this year. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Better inform Jurgen then. Seen a better standard of passing from a veterans team than what i witnessed last night.

And you think Klopp didn't see that ?  You think he'll be telling the players not to bother showing up because they're already out of it ?

Some men have balls and get on with it, some curl up and cry and look for excuses.