You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - Champions League (A) 6/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

57 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Considering the fact that Gini was rested for most of the Arsenal game and the fact that Fabinho also had a 3 week break, their awful display in midfield tonight needs to be highlighted more.

Keita was poor and got hooked early. Those other two had 50 minutes more on the pitch and still got dicked around even when Keita wasnt there.

That's not exactly accurate is it. Keita went fucking hiding, as per fucking usual.

He doesn't fancy it, and never has. The only time he looks good is when he comes on with the game comfortably won. Same goes for the Ox.

You're allowed bad games at Liverpool, even a fair few.

You're not allowed to be a total shithouse, though.

The fact many feel he was hooked too late says it all.

• Like 1

Guest Alex_K

As an aside, no comparison between that performance tonight and the 3-0 loss in Barcelona. We were a completely different level at the Nou Camp - we actually played very well in that game despite the score line. Perversely, Keita had one of his best performances in the shirt before he came off injured (surprise surprise). Perhaps that played into the selection choice tonight.

Let's be honest the Barcelona tie from 2 seasons ago has fuck all to do with this tie. We were much better that day just had no luck, today we were much poorer yet got a better result. The main issue is that we all know there will be no fans at Anfield  which is what makes it such a tough place to play on the big nights. This team is good enough to beat Real Madrid 2-0 on their day but as we've seen today they're also capable of a really abject half that could see the return over before we have a chance to get into it. We'll just have to see, and we can't afford any passengers at all next week.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It feels like Arsenal gave us a false sense of security. We're still a bit shit. The lads have been glorious but the team needs a revamp.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It feels like Arsenal gave us a false sense of security. We're still a bit shit. The lads have been glorious but the team needs a revamp.

Yep it was a bit like the Arsenal game only this time we were Arsenal

6 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I hadn't noticed Wijnaldum was Captain last night. That was an unusual choice.

Remember Klopp saying a while back that it was the choice of the players themselves and that he was surprised ( not sure why ) that after Hendo and Milner they went for ' the two Dutch guys '.

Last night / this season in general boils down to our lack of investment over the last 2 seasons, when your on top you bring in a few new faces to keep it fresh and to keep players on their toes, Champions of Europe we bout 2  17 years olds same squad wins the league we buy 3 players Jota,Thiago and Tsimikas ( in my opinion Thiago was bought because the club thought they could get £20m back on Gini) now the squad looks physically and mentally drained with no adequate back up to rest the likes of Robbo, Trent, Salah and Mane ( due to Jota injury) Salah aside the other 3 look run in to the ground, the squad needs a big investment for a refresh not wholesale changes as personally I wouldn't sell any of the main squad I would sell the fringe players Origi,Shaq and Wilson etc. possibly Bobby if the money was right and we could get a Dybala or similar. Without a revamp I see next seaso being similar to this with a few inquiries back to bare bones.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I hadn't noticed Wijnaldum was Captain last night. That was an unusual choice.

He's not captain material. Jurgen's stated he's a quiet lad so clearly he doesnt bark instructions on the pitch. Last night we needed someone to bollock players on the pitch. Overall, I thought he was one of a number of players who had a poor game.

1 hour ago, waddy78 said:

Last night / this season in general boils down to our lack of investment over the last 2 seasons, when your on top you bring in a few new faces to keep it fresh and to keep players on their toes, Champions of Europe we bout 2  17 years olds same squad wins the league we buy 3 players Jota,Thiago and Tsimikas ( in my opinion Thiago was bought because the club thought they could get £20m back on Gini) now the squad looks physically and mentally drained with no adequate back up to rest the likes of Robbo, Trent, Salah and Mane ( due to Jota injury) Salah aside the other 3 look run in to the ground, the squad needs a big investment for a refresh not wholesale changes as personally I wouldn't sell any of the main squad I would sell the fringe players Origi,Shaq and Wilson etc. possibly Bobby if the money was right and we could get a Dybala or similar. Without a revamp I see next seaso being similar to this with a few inquiries back to bare bones.

Would those 2 seasons be the ones that were fucked by Covid which had a big impact on our finances ?

Shall we just pretend that hasn't happened then ?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

Would those 2 seasons be the ones that were fucked by Covid which had a big impact on our finances ?

Shall we just pretend that hasn't happened then ?

Didn't realise there was a pandemic in the previous few years when we won the Champs league, came second and became runners up in the CL.

Must have missed that.

The investment in the squad has been frankly, pathetic.

Out of any game this season, how did Klopp reach the decision that this was a game where it made sense to drop Thiago?

No matter how I look at it, I cant get me head around it, and this is not in hindsight. 

You should think this was exactly the type of game where you want to play Thiago. 

94C774E7-84BF-44E4-BA0E-A467F45A7558.jpeg

56 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Didn't realise there was a pandemic in the previous few years when we won the Champs league, came second and became runners up in the CL.

Must have missed that.

The investment in the squad has been frankly, pathetic.

What's pathetic is the bedwetting and wailing.  We lost - tough shit.  Man up, stop fucking crying like a bitch and look forward to the replay.  Even if you want to curl up, suck your thumb and look for excuses I seriously doubt that Klopp, his staff and the players themselves will.  They'll know that performance was well below par.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

Out of any game this season, how did Klopp reach the decision that this was a game where it made sense to drop Thiago?

No matter how I look at it, I cant get me head around it, and this is not in hindsight. 

You should think this was exactly the type of game where you want to play Thiago. 

94C774E7-84BF-44E4-BA0E-A467F45A7558.jpeg

It's bordering on the most mental decision since Hamman was dropped in Istanbul.

Or maybe Crouch in Athens.

Nonsensical.

7 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thiago was pretty shit when he came on anyway. Not Keita level shit, but I don't think I've seen a player play as shit as Keita did last night since Hodgson was manager.

We were only marginally better after he came on. 

Keita was shit but so was everyone else. It wouldn't have mattered at all if Thiago had started