You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - Champions League (A) 6/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

A year/two years ago i would have said we could still win this tie from here.

This side right now?

Next to no chance.

Worst thing tonight was it was yet another spineless performance in a big game - similar to the derby.

Really poor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I have to say that was one of the worst refereeing performances we've seen this season. Every little dive of theirs he bought, every time we went down under similar situations, it was given the other way. Not a really obvious terrible decision in the lot, just 100% of the 50-50s and 60-40s given to Madrid.

I completely agree but I actually thought he was good for most of the first half. Second half though was just ridiculously one-sided. Not even close.

Guest Alex_K

Season in a nut shell. Some shit luck sprinkled with needlessly baffling decisions, moments of promise & that loudmouth clown Carragher holding court in the background.

Very, very difficult to see us getting through this tie.

Just now, ManéMan said:

I don't know what it is up with Mane, takes a touch and then seems to either wait an age as to what to do next or need the space of a tanker to make a turn.

He's always been a bit streaky, but this one's dragging on a bit. Hopefully just another thing we can chalk up to "cunt season".

Piss poor performance and result. I can accept a hiding away to a packed Bernabeu when they've got Ronaldo and Bale at their peak but not this current version of Real where old boys like Benzema and Modric are their best players. It was just poor from the players and manager - I have no idea what Jurgen was thinking by starting with Keita ffs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Well, could have been worse, I suppose.

I know it's generally been epitomised by our games against the bottom six, but this was the season in microcosm:

Shit first half.

Good first 15 minutes of the second half.

Shit again.

Then throw cream puffs at the bus for the last 10 minutes.

It'll be a tough ask to progress from here. Forget what we've done in the past. Madrid look a lot more solid than Barcelona did, both tactically and mentally. And we're levels off where we where in that Barcelona game. 

I think that sloppy third goal we conceded might have just been the one that gives us too much to do. Madrid's midfield were excellent. Their ball retention was top level. Then, they just let us have it for the last 10 minutes and defended very well as a 7 and left 3 up top for the counter. 

I think Zidane got his game plan spot on, alas. 

I don’t think we’ll do enough next week without a crowd. 

Real aren’t Barcelona. Not the greatest side of theirs, but the European Cup is in their DNA as least as much as it’s in ours and they won’t be bottling anything. 

Once they went 3 1 up they just controlled the game by keeping the ball and going to ground whenever challenged. Unfortunately the ref bought, the foul where TAA got booked ( I know it was for dissent) was a fucking joke. 

Poor all over the pitch, better second half but stiff not good. The third goal was absolutely terrible to give away. A throw in at the corner flag yet they had free men in and around the box, that is basics.  

• Upvote 1

Guillem Balague sucking Vinicius off on Paramount stream. He's got a bunch of pace sure but he got lucky to have a second goal tonight and the ref protected him like he was fucking Messi or Ronaldo. I'm not saying he's not a decent player but I don't think he's the second coming as they're making out.

2 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

Everyone said in 2019 the final, our midfield will out work them, BT said the same tonight but on both games they dominated us.

As bad as Keita was, Fabinho and Wijnaldum were a disgrace. Not even gonna mention Thiago, even Nat Phillips appears to have more composure and ability than him...probably better mobility too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, skaro said:

I know it's generally been epitomised by our games against the bottom six, but this was the season in microcosm:

Shit first half.

Good first 15 minutes of the second half.

Shit again.

Then throw cream puffs at a bus for the last 10 minutes.

The high percentage of overall shitness is definitely a concern.

Mane has to have long covid surely? Looks like daniel Sturridge on the turn at the moment, and I'm pretty sure he was rapid 6 months ago, is in his twenties and hasn't sustained a serious injury. Doesn't look right

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Guillem Balague sucking Vinicius off on Paramount stream. He's got a bunch of pace sure but he got lucky to have a second goal tonight and the ref protected him like he was fucking Messi or Ronaldo. I'm not saying he's not a decent player but I don't think he's the second coming as they're making out.

I think since he has Junior in his name he actually is.