You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - Champions League (A) 6/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

I hate this ‘revenge’ shit that’s talked about in some sections of the media. Other clubs may exist to talk about perceived wrongdoings against them for all eternity. We stayed calm and just made sure we won the thing at the next possible opportunity. 
We’ve moved on and evolved.

That said, I hope we fucking batter these cheating cunts and we tear Ramos a new one.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

I hate this ‘revenge’ shit that’s talked about in some sections of the media. Other clubs may exist to talk about perceived wrongdoings against them for all eternity. We stayed calm and just made sure we won the thing at the next possible opportunity. 
We’ve moved on and evolved.

That said, I hope we fucking batter these cheating cunts and we tear Ramos a new one.

Ramos is out of both legs 

11 minutes ago, dandyman said:

Ramos is out of both legs 

Ah right. Well then just then first but of my post.

Seriously I’m genuinely not even arsed about him anymore really. 
After tonight I’m looking forward to this a lot more, and hope we start Jota. 

The business end of another European campaign, and it's up against the most decorated side in the history of the competition. Of course we've met them at the very pinnacle of the game, twice, but in 2008/09 we were paired with them in the Round of 16. At the time, Real Madrid were defending La Liga champions but they'd been stuttering in the league, totally overshadowed by a Barcelona side that would go on to claim the treble of La Liga, the Copa Del Rey and the Champions League. Real Madrid had ditched coach Bernd Schuster and replaced him with ex-Spurs coach Juande Ramos. He himself was only going to be kept on until the end of the season, when Florentino Perez would win the club's presidential election to return to the post and bring with him a new coach (Manuel Pellegrini) and a ridiculous spending spree to sign some real quality additions. Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso would all sign that summer, and Benzema is still there now.

We went to the Bernabeu for the first leg and kept things tight. Madrid could neither go around us or play through us. Xabi tested his international teammate Casillas with one of his trademark long-range efforts from inside his own half but it took until late on for us to claim the advantage. Benayoun had been making a habit of scoring important goals, and he it was that got on the end of Aurelio's free kick from wide on the right. We'd just come off the back of a period where we'd drawn a few games in the league and got knocked out of the FA Cup by the blooshite. We'd laboured to a dramatic 3-2 win at Portsmouth thanks to a last minute header from El Nino. Thanks to a highly professional performance in Spain, we had a priceless lead and an away goal to take back to Anfield.

In the charts, Lily Allen was in the middle of a month-long run at the top with 'The Fear'. It's a fairly ordinary pop song free of the chavvy schtick that characterised her earlier stuff, and the music from it features a lot on programmes even today. It's very familiar.

We owe these entitled tapping-up merchants for Kyiv and also for the Champions League group games in 2014. There's no Ramos so pantomime villain duties will have to fall to someone else. Real Madrid have often looked disjointed this year, much as we have. Though they still possess a lot of quality to hurt us, we possess an awful lot of quality to hurt them. The Bernabeu is undergoing a massive renovation so they've been played at their training ground. As there are no fans in attendance, I don't suppose it matters that much to them. For us, just be professional, be brave and don't give in to 'The Fear', and we can again bring back a lead to defend for the second leg. Who know, by then we might actually have sorted our shit out at Anfield too.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The business end of another European campaign, and it's up against the most decorated side in the history of the competition. Of course we've met them at the very pinnacle of the game, twice, but in 2008/09 we were paired with them in the Round of 16. At the time, Real Madrid were defending La Liga champions but they'd been stuttering in the league, totally overshadowed by a Barcelona side that would go on to claim the treble of La Liga, the Copa Del Rey and the Champions League. Real Madrid had ditched coach Bernd Schuster and replaced him with ex-Spurs coach Juande Ramos. He himself was only going to be kept on until the end of the season, when Florentino Perez would win the club's presidential election to return to the post and bring with him a new coach (Manuel Pellegrini) and a ridiculous spending spree to sign some real quality additions. Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso would all sign that summer, and Benzema is still there now.

We went to the Bernabeu for the first leg and kept things tight. Madrid could neither go around us or play through us. Xabi tested his international teammate Casillas with one of his trademark long-range efforts from inside his own half but it took until late on for us to claim the advantage. Benayoun had been making a habit of scoring important goals, and he it was that got on the end of Aurelio's free kick from wide on the right. We'd just come off the back of a period where we'd drawn a few games in the league and got knocked out of the FA Cup by the blooshite. We'd laboured to a dramatic 3-2 win at Portsmouth thanks to a last minute header from El Nino. Thanks to a highly professional performance in Spain, we had a priceless lead and an away goal to take back to Anfield.

In the charts, Lily Allen was in the middle of a month-long run at the top with 'The Fear'. It's a fairly ordinary pop song free of the chavvy schtick that characterised her earlier stuff, and the music from it features a lot on programmes even today. It's very familiar.

We owe these entitled tapping-up merchants for Kyiv and also for the Champions League group games in 2014. There's no Ramos so pantomime villain duties will have to fall to someone else. Real Madrid have often looked disjointed this year, much as we have. Though they still possess a lot of quality to hurt us, we possess an awful lot of quality to hurt them. The Bernabeu is undergoing a massive renovation so they've been played at their training ground. As there are no fans in attendance, I don't suppose it matters that much to them. For us, just be professional, be brave and don't give in to 'The Fear', and we can again bring back a lead to defend for the second leg. Who know, by then we might actually have sorted our shit out at Anfield too.

I was backpacking in Sumatra during that 1-0 win Yossi game. I was in a tiny village in the highlands and paid through the nose to get back to the capital in time for kick off, driven by a drunk taxi driver. When I got there the only place open was a gay bar with no customers. The owner tried to pull me, despite me being straight. I still hugged him when Yossi scored though. 

• Upvote 4

For me assuming no injuries I'd go eithet

---------------------Allison

Trent--Phillips--Kabak--Robbo

-----------Fabinho---Thiago

----------------------Bobby

Salah------------Jota-----------Mane

Or

---------------------Allison

Trent--Phillips--Kabak--Robbo

---------Thiago-Fabinho-Gini

Salah------------Jota-----------Mane

I'd be more tempted to go with the first and try and make sure we score an away goal. 

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

I was backpacking in Sumatra during that 1-0 win Yossi game. I was in a tiny village in the highlands and paid through the nose to get back to the capital in time for kick off, driven by a drunk taxi driver. When I got there the only place open was a gay bar with no customers. The owner tried to pull me, despite me being straight. I still hugged him when Yossi scored though. 

"Hugged"?

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Putting aside any ill-conceived notions of revenge and putting aside my dislike for these fuckers, we just need to win this tie and roll on.

Just get these beat, Reds. 

In a nutshell, yeah ....

• Upvote 1

I checked the Chelsea-West Brom score at half-time on Saturday (1-2), fell back asleep, dreamed that it finished 2-5, and woke up to find that it actually had.

You'd better hope my powers of premonition are still sharp because I can't shake the overwhelming feeling that we are going to absolutely fucking destroy Madrid.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, niallers said:

That fat little fuck, hazard, is back training. Since he signed for them he's been a bad as Francis benali but he'll turn into his prime Liverpool facing brilliant little cunt he always was come Tuesday. 

Left out of the squad for the first game thank god