You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We Won't Sign Either But If..... Haaland or Mbabbe?

Bjornebye

We Won't Sign Either But If..... Haaland or Mbabbe?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. We Won't Sign Either But If..... Haaland or Mbabbe?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/21 at 09:53

55 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Even though I think Mbappe over Haaland, the current side needs Haaland over Mbappe.

This current side wouldn't fit with Haaland at all imo. You'd negate the strengths of both Salah and Mane. There's a reason we've had astonishing results with our current forward line over the last few years; they compliment each other perfectly! I can see why a lot of knives are/would be out for Firmino, because he is not as clinical as you would want your forwards to be. He's still a big reason why the two wingmen score and get chances to score. Put Haaland in there and most of our interplay would die. Would he score more goals than Bobby? Definitely! Would our attack as a whole score more? I doubt it. It's this weird obsession with proper no 9's showing up again. One would think seeing both Pep and Klopp prioritise team play over individuals (pep was phasing out Aguero almost from the get go go get greater fluency in his attacking patterns), would remove some of this, but no.

I think if Mbappe would be available tous we would be all over it as he could play all 3 roles in our offense (much like Jota). Haaland will suit the Mancs or even Chelsea.

We would have to change our approach quite a bit to get the best out of Haaland, and I don't believe we will. He's also a bit on the dim side, which would also be a bit of a problem when trying to implement advanced pressing/attacking patterns.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, lebron said:

0 goals in three internationals for Haaland, opposition being Gibraltar, Turkey and Montenegro. Safe to say he'll be longing for naive Bundesliga defences and Reus/Sancho/Hazard to provide him with service.

If Ardja wrote goal.com articles.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think he turned down United to go to Dortmund, so maybe he didn't want to go straight to the Premier League.

Or he hates United? 

His father and team (rightly) thought stepping into a Dortmund team creating boatloads of chances (similar to RB Salzburg) for their striker was a better way to raise his profile further than a Utd side lacking creativity and structured attacking play. Wise decision, even ig he would probably look better with Pogba and Fernandes playing behind him.

2 hours ago, lebron said:

This current side wouldn't fit with Haaland at all imo. You'd negate the strengths of both Salah and Mane. There's a reason we've had astonishing results with our current forward line over the last few years; they compliment each other perfectly! I can see why a lot of knives are/would be out for Firmino, because he is not as clinical as you would want your forwards to be. He's still a big reason why the two wingmen score and get chances to score. Put Haaland in there and most of our interplay would die. Would he score more goals than Bobby? Definitely! Would our attack as a whole score more? I doubt it. It's this weird obsession with proper no 9's showing up again. One would think seeing both Pep and Klopp prioritise team play over individuals (pep was phasing out Aguero almost from the get go go get greater fluency in his attacking patterns), would remove some of this, but no.

I think if Mbappe would be available tous we would be all over it as he could play all 3 roles in our offense (much like Jota). Haaland will suit the Mancs or even Chelsea.

We would have to change our approach quite a bit to get the best out of Haaland, and I don't believe we will. He's also a bit on the dim side, which would also be a bit of a problem when trying to implement advanced pressing/attacking patterns.

Excellent post.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

If Ardja wrote goal.com articles.

Haha, you related to Erling by any chance? More like you using every column inch on here to toast his profligacy. I doubt you have seen him play 10 full matches based on your comments on him (and Lukaku for that matter).

He's falling victim to his hype atm, not helped by people like you thinking he's going to dominate world football for years to come.

I want him to be as good as you think he is, as that would mean Norway would be on their way to qualifying for a major tournament for the first time since 2000. Sadly, he's still very raw, and even if he improves vastly, he'll still be a striker severely dependant on those around him, rather than the all-conquering footballing god you hype him up to be.

For the record, I'm much more concerned with his overall play than his lack of goals during these three games. 

20 minutes ago, lebron said:

Haha, you related to Erling by any chance? More like you using every column inch on here to toast his profligacy. I doubt you have seen him play 10 full matches based on your comments on him (and Lukaku for that matter).

He's falling victim to his hype atm, not helped by people like you thinking he's going to dominate world football for years to come.

I want him to be as good as you think he is, as that would mean Norway would be on their way to qualifying for a major tournament for the first time since 2000. Sadly, he's still very raw, and even if he improves vastly, he'll still be a striker severely dependant on those around him, rather than the all-conquering footballing god you hype him up to be.

For the record, I'm much more concerned with his overall play than his lack of goals during these three games. 

Well, they were some words.

39 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think he turned down United to go to Dortmund, so maybe he didn't want to go straight to the Premier League.

Or he hates United? 

He clearly has a career plan in mind. Sign for clubs, increasing incrementally in size. Molde, Salzburg, Dortmund, then a club in the top 10 in Europe. Real Madrid, Bayern, whoever. I doubt he was available to the biggest clubs last Jan. 

• Upvote 1

Mbappe would suit us the best and has proven more thus far in every type of competition but he's becoming a bit stale, Imo. He's not even the best player at his own club. If you're paying 150m or whatever for him, you're betting on him getting back to the exponentially improving freak of nature he was from 2016 to about 2019. PSG has not been great for his development.

Haaland is just a goal machine. He's not a clear fit wiith players like Salah, Mane and Jota but if you surround him with players that want to create chances for him, he's about as sure a source of goals as it gets. 

So in sum, it depends. By the way, if the money is there and we're in the Champions League, I think we're in play for both. Doesn't mean we'll get either, but I do think we're in play. Especially Mbappe. There's been too much smoke around it.