You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ibrahima Konate

Sugar Ape

On 29/03/2021 at 21:34, Scott_M said:

That’s a completely different point to the “we’re too lazy to negotiate”.

The fringe players have undoubtedly let us down this season, but that’s nothing to do with how we came about signing them.

Even though his performances last season weren’t great, Ox contributed a bit in assists & goals, especially through the end 2019 & start of 2020. We bought him because there was value in his contract ending.

Keita gives us little bits here and there but that’s about it really. But we were that desperate to sign him, we agreed a deal 12 months in advance (there was no release clause).

I completely agree they’ve not stepped up this season and, if it was me, their Liverpool careers would be in the balance. But that’s got nothing to do with the opportunistic or desirable reasons why we signed them.

I have two questions I meant to ask earlier...

1) You said were only going for Konaté because he has a release clause. Is that positive or negative? To me, it sounds like we taking advantage of a potentially good situation but I’m not sure you feel the same way. 

2) Haaland has a release clause of £65m in the summer of 2022.

Or Mbappe is in the last year of his contact this summer.

Stretch targets obviously, how would you feel about us taking advantage of those situations? 

Only just seen this. So in answer to your question, here's a simple answer. 

1) if we are only interested because of his release clause, we should not buy him. We should only buy him because we think he's the right solution and not "he'll be alright for that price"

2) if we are only interested because of his release clause, we should not buy him. We should only buy him because we think he's the right solution and not "he'll be alright for that price". 

On 29/03/2021 at 21:41, TheHowieLama said:

In hindsight there isn't any value in the AoC transfer. He would have been free 12 months later or scooped up Jan 1 by someone in Europe. But at the time he stiffed Chelsea to come to us and:

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said he was "really happy" to have signed an "exciting" talent he "didn't need to think twice" about.

The German described Oxlade-Chamberlain as a "positive" player who is "willing to take risks" and "has the mentality and desire to get even better".

He added: "This is someone making a tough decision to leave one great club and come to another great club and I think he had many options, so to get him means I am delighted.

"He didn't make an easy decision but I think he made a great one to go on this journey with this squad of talented boys and our great supporters. I welcome him to the Liverpool family."

When Liverpool signed Ben Davies, klopp said something like "when we knew we could get him, wow". I'm not sure what klopp says when we sign a player is any indication of anything. 

For the record, I think chamberlain could have been a good player had he managed to stay clear of injuries. But he hasn't and his record before he joined us suggested that, he was a sick note. I feel absolutely certain if he wasn't an end of contract fire sale we'd have been absolutely nowhere near him. 

14 minutes ago, Butch said:

Ox needs to be moved on he's not been the same since the roma injury. 

Partly agree but he's hardly got a run of games to try and play his way into any form. When he does get the odd 15 mins he's tries to overdo things. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

An English international to another English club. All the fsg fanboys were wanking at the deal Edwards made at the time. 

I don't really remember it like that.  I think everyone thought we'd paid too much with one year left on his deal but we didn't have any choice because Chelsea had set the price when they had their bid accepted by Arsenal.  Pretty sure the club would have been hoping to get Ox on a free, or cheap 6 months to go deal, but they were forced to go sooner and more expensive because of Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

I don't really remember it like that.  I think everyone thought we'd paid too much with one year left on his deal but we didn't have any choice because Chelsea had set the price when they had their bid accepted by Arsenal.  Pretty sure the club would have been hoping to get Ox on a free, or cheap 6 months to go deal, but they were forced to go sooner and more expensive because of Chelsea.

This is an accurate take. I was in the minority who got excited about his signing. I was at the Emirates for the season opener where he scored a lovely solo goal against us. The majority thought we paid way too much for him. 

I thought it was a risk worth taking because of the potential upside but that he’d eventually become bogged down with injuries until he becomes more and more on the periphery and that eventually his name would, for some strange reason, take over the one time wonderful Ibrahima Konate thread.

I can’t get my head around how paying £35m for someone who you could’ve got for free if you waited aix months could be seen as “fire sale”. I like Ox, as he’s the only player in our midfield who’s a goal threat, but we definitely overpaid for him. 

33 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I can’t get my head around how paying £35m for someone who you could’ve got for free if you waited aix months could be seen as “fire sale”. I like Ox, as he’s the only player in our midfield who’s a goal threat, but we definitely overpaid for him. 

I can't get my head around the idea that people think we can get a player registered in the same country for free if we wait another 6 months, when that only applies to players playing in another (European) country who are in the last year of their contract. We wouldn't have been able to speak to Ox when he only had 6 months left at Arsenal. We'd have had to wait until he was out of contract. While there would have been no transfer fee (so a £35m saving there), there would have been a bigger contract and an absolutely massive signing-on fee involved so he'd have been earning a hell of a lot more than he currently is (much of that £35m saved would be swallowed up this way over the duration of his contract). Put him on a contract paying close to £200k per week (which is about how much it might have been) when he's still relatively unproven, and you'd have a ton of players and their agents looking for a massive pay rise. Players who have shown/proven themselves here already. That's the balancing act the club have to consider, but one that many fans don't think about.

41 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Wasn't Ox's signing in a summer where we hadn't signed anybody significant so it was a bit of a buy to satisfy the fans? Not sure.

Depends on whether you think Andy Robbo and Salah were significant signings or not.