You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ibrahima Konate

Sugar Ape

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play but I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he won’t be our 8th choice centre back behind Virge, Joe Gomez, Matip, Hendo, Fabinho, Phillips, Kabak, Rhys Williams. Happy to be proven wrong.

24 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Correct. And here we go again on the transfer roundabout. The club's making an early move if the reports are correct, going to spend 40m Euros or thereabout and hasnt 'sold to buy.' You couldnt make some of the reaction up.

I am seriously thinking the behaviour of some of our fans has turned parody at this point. In comparison to this Konate deal, there was genuinely more positivity when we panicked and brought in two CBs for 1.5m on deadline day.

We are now actually planning ahead and paying close to 40m euros on a very promising CB talent. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Could he do a job as a proper #9? That changes everything.

I miss centre forwards who also played centre back and vice versa. Where’s all the Dion Dublin’s and Chris Sutton’s nowadays. Even better if they’re an ale house defender who has to play upfront like Steve Watson.

1 minute ago, El Dangerous said:

I miss centre forwards who also played centre back and vice versa. Where’s all the Dion Dublin’s and Chris Sutton’s nowadays. Even better if they’re an ale house defender who has to play upfront like Steve Watson.

I think Caulker was a master stroke (basically an English Ruud Gullit, just didn't get the breaks needed) and this young fella could be the new John Charles.

9 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I am seriously thinking the behaviour of some of our fans has turned parody at this point.

I agree.

Let’s face it, we’re looking very likely to sign a player, who on paper, looks exactly like the type of player we should be signing. 

I fully get the concerns about his injuries, I have them as well, but everything else about him reads a tick-list of how what you’d want a top class defender to look like.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Makes sense getting a signing or two over the line before we miss out on the CL places and “become less attractive” as a result. 

I don’t think that’s going to be much of an issue this year. We’ve still got one of the best first teams in world football, we’ll have been in the latter stages of Europe and we’ll no doubt pay better than most others. If we were Kloppless and had been shit for a few years it might matter.

The Injuries might be a concern but I remember Gerrard suffering similar muscle, back issues as a youngsters as he was still growing into his frame. 

Surely if this happens then Matip must be out the door. High wages, getting older and never fit. I do wonder if Gomez is on a last chance to prove his fitness as the poor fucker just can't seem to stay fit through a whole season. I guess if we sign Kabak aswell that might be a sign what the club are thinking. As I can't see Konaté or Gomez being happy with rotating 

I think we're looking for the right profile of player, but there is simply a dearth of fast, tall, powerful defenders with ability on the ball, always has been. You normally have to compromise on one of more of the attributes. That's what makes Virgil so special.

I haven't seen too much of Konate, but from what I've seen, I'm more worried about his passing than his injuries if I'm honest. He's very, very fast, dominant in the air, but more Sol Campbell than Ferdinand with regards ability on the ball.

If he can stay injury free, we'll have another great option at CB.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

The Injuries might be a concern but I remember Gerrard suffering similar muscle, back issues as a youngsters as he was still growing into his frame. 

Surely if this happens then Matip must be out the door. High wages, getting older and never fit. I do wonder if Gomez is on a last chance to prove his fitness as the poor fucker just can't seem to stay fit through a whole season. I guess if we sign Kabak aswell that might be a sign what the club are thinking. As I can't see Konaté or Gomez being happy with rotating 

I think Kabak will be signed whatever happens with Konate. 

I can see a lot of sense in going into next season with 5 centre backs considering that 2 of them are returning from serious long-term injuries. 

Could also see the sense in moving Matip on (if we can....) and letting Nat Phillips be the 5th choice. 

A lot of teams at the moment play with 3 centre backs and 4 across the middle of the park, so having numerous centre back options would be a wise investment not only to ensure we don't suffer injury calamity and put square pegs in round holes like we've had to this season, but also for some tactical flexibility. Leipzig have played with a back 4 and a back 3 in the lasts couple of years so I doubt it's anything new to someone like Konate.

My only issue with this is if we are buying Konate for  the RCB position, Gomez is gonna be covering that side. We still don't have a left footed CB covering VVD though he's not left footed as well. Kabak's and Nat's strength are  their right side as well. I would probably want a left footed CB like Botman, maybe Ben Davies can do the job for us. Am assuming we are selling Matip.

4 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Wow. This is genuinely the first I have heard of Alisson being signed only because we pulled out of the Fekir deal. And since it is contrary to all the reliable reports I had read about the Fekir deal, I can reliably inform you that I don't believe you.

Well, Fekir hasn't missed many games since then.