You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Let me tell you a couple of three things:

1) I will never able to love one of our players, because I put way too much into Torres

2) I really thought Mascherano was going to tackle Walcott, as was his custom, or at least stop the prick

3) At 19:54, there is a smoking blonde girl who lives in my memory.

Cracking match. The most memorable part for me was Adebayor's shitty robot dance after his goal, and then standing there shaking his head hands on hips in the centre circle waiting to kick off again about a minute later after we'd gone up the other end and made it 3-2.

• Upvote 1

I was in the Anfield Road end, had a great view of that Hyypia header.

In total agony with toothache all night because I had an old filling which had broken down, and was swilling it with water every few minutes.

Football isn't football without the crowd.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

Cracking match. The most memorable part for me was Adebayor's shitty robot dance after his goal, and then standing there shaking his head hands on hips in the centre circle waiting to kick off again about a minute later after we'd gone up the other end and made it 3-2.

We played them 3 times in 6 days and the fanzine had a lot of entries about how much Usher hates twats dances.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

I genuinely thought I was going to pass out when we got that pen. My, very pregnant, friend was in the main stand with me that night. When he scored it I thought she was going to go into labour!!!

What a night

What on earth was Toure doing there?

On the Kop that night. Got in late if memory serves, shocking traffic on the way over. 

I’m with @Kevin D on Torres. Might be an age thing as well but he was the last player, other than Gerrard, I idolised. When he left, the way he left did it for me. 

Souness leaving broke my 12 year old heart.

Rush leaving broke my 14 year old heart. 
Fowler leaving broke my 29 year old heart.

Torres leaving broke my 38 year old heart.

After that I realised it’s probably best not to fall in love with footballers. However fucking brilliant they were. 

I was in the kop that night. I can still see that Torres goal. What a moment. 

And the disbelief as Adabyour scored.
I remember the tension as Gerrard waited to take the penalty was insane. I thought he earned his money that night as he kept  a cool head when I could barely look.

I think he was played on the left from memory, and sulked a bit as a result.

There was a video on Twitter a while ago of every touch Gerrard had in that game and he was absolutely sensational.  He was playing from the middle but was absolutely everywhere.  It was peak Gerrard and how he should have been getting played every week with two forwards in front of him instead of one.  They still did well because they were Torres and Gerrard but it’s what stopped us winning any trophies.  Arsenal couldn’t live with him that night because he was facing forward and had more options.

Crouch was treated dreadfully by Benitez throughout that year as well.  Another weird rafaism of him proving everyone he was right by playing Crouch through thick and thin when he couldn’t score a goal.  When Torres was signed and clearly crying out for a partner he just never gave him it.  Virtually any time Crouch was partnered with him which was virtually never we absolutely shit goals.  They linked so well in this game and it should have been how we set up most of the season.  Instead he was too busy putting Voronin on the bench ahead of him or bringing him on instead Crouch.  It was painful in some of those draws and losses that season.

Typically Benitez shit his bills and went negative again in the semis and we went out.

• Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, The Guest said:

There was a video on Twitter a while ago of every touch Gerrard had in that game and he was absolutely sensational.  He was playing from the middle but was absolutely everywhere.  It was peak Gerrard and how he should have been getting played every week with two forwards in front of him instead of one.  They still did well because they were Torres and Gerrard but it’s what stopped us winning any trophies.  Arsenal couldn’t live with him that night because he was facing forward and had more options.

Crouch was treated dreadfully by Benitez throughout that year as well.  Another weird rafaism of him proving everyone he was right by playing Crouch through thick and thin when he couldn’t score a goal.  When Torres was signed and clearly crying out for a partner he just never gave him it.  Virtually any time Crouch was partnered with him which was virtually never we absolutely shit goals.  They linked so well in this game and it should have been how we set up most of the season.  Instead he was too busy putting Voronin on the bench ahead of him or bringing him on instead Crouch.  It was painful in some of those draws and losses that season.

Typically Benitez shit his bills and went negative again in the semis and we went out.

Behave.

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, The Guest said:

That's a little bit of an odd-telling ..

Crouch went off with the game at 2-1. We then won 4-2 with him off the pitch. Besides, I remember this game very well; we were actually completely bossed by Arsenal in the first half other than Hyypia's set piece goal against the run of play. Flamini & Diaby were completely running the show and we couldn't really even get a touch on the ball until Flamini went off injured just before half time, which really changed the game. If there was a blunder here, it was to play Crouch + Torres together from the start as we were dominated for large parts in midfield. This was before Flamini moved to Milan then subsequently fell off a cliff form wise, and with a fit Diaby who was a colossus of a midfielder badly affected by injuries,

Crouch was great for what he was, but Torres was a stallion that rode best alone. The 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard behind suited him perfectly; in the long-run however it was probably too attritional for his body to hold up with the English game, but he certainly played the best football of his career in that system without a conventional partner.

Guest Alex_K

The touch-by-touch video of Gerrard vs Arsenal in Europe is I think the below, which was actually the 1st Leg at the Emirates - a different game to the one being discussed. This would chime true as we actually played really well over there (which made the 1st half performance at Anfield more baffling) - no Crouch though, it was the Gerrard-Torres 4-2-3-1 tandem. Sadly the queue into the ground was a cluster-fuck so a lot of our fans were still outside at kick off myself included; I remember finally getting in just before Kuyt equalised. Loved a big Dirk goal in Europe; criminally under-rated part of our European history. Klopp would love him ...

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

It was the ridiculous Riise oggy that put us out against Chelsea that year wasn't it?

They were spawny twats two years in a row against us when we were probably the better team.  Weird really how the reversal in fortunes happened considering we put them out in two previous semi's when they were probably better than us.  

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

Gerrard was poor that night, he played from the left.

The rest of your post is a load of shite too.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
11 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

It was the ridiculous Riise oggy that put us out against Chelsea that year wasn't it?

They were spawny twats two years in a row against us when we were probably the better team.  Weird really how the reversal in fortunes happened considering we put them out in two previous semi's when they were probably better than us.  

The Riise own goal was this year, yes; we were far the better team at Anfield, they over-powered us physically in extra time in the return at Stamford Bridge. Ballack, Essien, Drogba, Lampard, Kalou etc. -- just a really strong, quick unit and they outlasted us.

The next year I wouldn't necessarily say we were the better team. That was the season Ivanovic scored the headers after we'd just pasted Madrid & United 4-1. Essien had Gerrard in his pocket. Very disappointing evening given the hopes headed into the game. Mirrored that season, really, and Rafa never took us to that level again.

8 hours ago, Alex_K said:

The Riise own goal was this year, yes; we were far the better team at Anfield, they over-powered us physically in extra time in the return at Stamford Bridge. Ballack, Essien, Drogba, Lampard, Kalou etc. -- just a really strong, quick unit and they outlasted us.

The next year I wouldn't necessarily say we were the better team. That was the season Ivanovic scored the headers after we'd just pasted Madrid & United 4-1. Essien had Gerrard in his pocket. Very disappointing evening given the hopes headed into the game. Mirrored that season, really, and Rafa never took us to that level again.

We were miles better in the semi first leg - hence why the 1-1 felt such a disappointment.  The 3-1 loss in the QF first leg the next year was a shocker though.

I was near the front of the Anny Road end that night. My abiding memory is, after Adebayor's goal, Skrtel lying face down until Reina dragged him up by the scruff of the neck. There was a great moment of realisation  - " He thinks we can still win this. He's fucking right, too."

I'll always love Joe Queen for that.