You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What hill are you willing to die on?

Chris

Die Hard isn’t a Christmas film. It’s an action film. One of the best ever made.

A genuine Christmas film is one in which Christmas is central to the film’s premise. It can be centred around a Christmas-related character (Santa, Elf, Scrooge, the Grinch) and / or have as its main theme something related to the spirit and traditions of Christmas (magic, family, good will and charity, holiday customs and rituals). To remove the Christmas element would be to remove the whole soul from the film. The Christmas-specific component of Die Hard is so small and has such little bearing on either the plot or the feel of the film that it cannot possibly meet these criteria.

I loved Die Hard for years as a pure action film before I even considered the idea of it being a Christmas film. It must have been literally twenty years after I first saw it that I came across the argument over whether it is or isn’t. That fact alone should be enough to settle the dispute.

People who try to advance arguments against Die Hard being a Christmas film are, for me, nothing more than contrarian kitten killers.

If you advance the simplistic argument that any film that could be set away from Christmas is not a Christmas film, then you are, in effect, saying that It’s A Wonderful Life is not a Christmas film, as the events could have taken place at any time. However, it’s the very fact that these films are set at Christmas that give their protagonists’ struggles greater resonance. And we wouldn’t have gotten the brilliant “Now I Have A Machine Gun. Ho, ho, ho.”

44 minutes ago, Anubis said:

People who try to advance arguments against Die Hard being a Christmas film are, for me, nothing more than contrarian kitten killers.

If you advance the simplistic argument that any film that could be set away from Christmas is not a Christmas film, then you are, in effect, saying that It’s A Wonderful Life is not a Christmas film, as the events could have taken place at any time. However, it’s the very fact that these films are set at Christmas that give their protagonists’ struggles greater resonance. And we wouldn’t have gotten the brilliant “Now I Have A Machine Gun. Ho, ho, ho.”

Two commas in a sentence? How dare you. 

52 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The sentiments of Christmas - family, friendship, season of good will - feature far more heavily in IAWL than in Die Hard. Plus it has snow, lots of it. If you want to make Die Hard a Christmas film, set it in New York or Chicago in the snow, not somewhere where they spend Christmas Day on the beach.

18 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I couldn't give less of a fucking shit whether Die hard is a Christmas movie or not. What difference does it make? It was a tedious shitting debate when it first reared its ugly head 5 years ago. 

Tell us your hill then sonshine.

A man’s got to have something he’s willing to fight for.

26 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I couldn't give less of a fucking shit whether Die hard is a Christmas movie or not. What difference does it make? It was a tedious shitting debate when it first reared its ugly head 5 years ago. 

Die Hard 2 has snow. Is Die Hard 2 a Christmas movie? I'm saying yes, it even finishes with a Christmas song. 

Die Hard 3 is definitely not a Christmas movie. 

1 hour ago, Neil G said:

Tell us your hill then sonshine.

A man’s got to have something he’s willing to fight for.

Mayonnaise on chips is a sick and twisted combination for the deeply disturbed. And Belgians. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

Hill ary Clinton. 

I will have shot myself 11 times from a distance of 3 metres before hanging myself using the laces of my sandals. 

Somewhere Red Phoenix Qanon buzzer has gone off

8 hours ago, Remmie said:

Getting worn out and cynical in your old age there Remston? That's the second rant where you've called something tedious in almost as many days.

We're here for you, mate. Let it out. 

3 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Getting worn out and cynical in your old age there Remston? That's the second rant where you've called something tedious in almost as many days.

We're here for you, mate. Let it out. 

Am I wrong though? 

25 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Nah, I agree with you on both counts. Just not like you to try to shut stuff down, unless I haven't been paying attention. 

I think I have a reasonable bed of work when it comes to low tolerance of rehashing jokes, debates or whatever that weren't interesting or funny in the first place. 

That one day average looking, overweight, moderately intelligent, barely solvent, heavy drinking, drug dabbling, premature ejaculating, anxiety ridden, couch potatoes of average height and thinning hair will one day be considered the same as rock stars/footballers/movie stars are today.