You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The weirdest place you've ended up by accident...

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

End up in Wigan one night, long story, I was told 'you're barred' from a nightclub near the train station, to my knowledge I'd never been to Wigan before.

Odd.

Barred from somewhere in Wigan? For fucks sake.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Bet he understood but pretended not to because you didn’t ask in French with a big enough Gallic shrug.

I kind of remember thinking "It's die. Deffo." and not really giving a fuck either way. 

• Upvote 1

When I first moved to London years ago, me and my girlfriend went walking somewhere in central London. No idea where were (even now, as we had a heavy session later and those brain cells must have gone) but we found this nice little villagey type place amongst the urban sprall (maybe it was Little Venice, or Kensington and Chelsea). It was the old days of Nokia 8810s and 5110s, so no GPS -  seeing a pub and an opportunity for an early pint I encouraged her to stop off there and ask the friendly landlord, whilst we looked at our A-Z.

It was a nice little boozer but rammed, almost entirely by young men, with a few middle-aged men as well. They all looked a bit nerdy with bumfluff facial hair, or tubby bellies - definitely not one athlete amongst them. My G/F looked at the A-Z, whilst I was silently tasked with fighting the way to the bar. I got to the front, almost in the middle of some weirdos who were singing a song about a wizard's staff having a knob on the end. The were doing my head in so I fought my way to an less knobby part. Standing next to a man at the bar, I asked him if it was always this busy. He replied that he didn't have a clue, but said it in a friendly way. "I wonder if it always has so many weirdos?" and he replied "I doubt it". I cut the conversation short as the barman saw me, and that was that.

My G/F said she knew where we were, so we finished our drinks and left to explore further. I noticed the bloke at the bar had a very weird black hat, and a pointy beard, so thought maybe my 'weirdos' comment was a bit rude. A few years later, watching tv, I realised it was Terry Pratchett at one of his conventions.

• Upvote 9

Not me but two of my mates went for an all dayer round Manchester. Ended up in the village (which has some great pubs) at about 11 o'clock they'd been in same pub for about 4 hours. They noticed a few transvestites. About midnight they realised there was a sign over the bar "transmission Europe's biggest transsexual night" they where only people wearing jeans and t shirts 

A dead end street in Wigan with a couple of other vans and cars when sat nav took us down a road to a dual carriage way. But, the local council and closed off that route as it must have been a bit of a rat run. Fucking google maps hadnt been updated so fuck knows how many other unsuspecting drivers ended going down their and having to do a 180.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

Not me but two of my mates went for an all dayer round Manchester. Ended up in the village (which has some great pubs) at about 11 o'clock they'd been in same pub for about 4 hours. They noticed a few transvestites. About midnight they realised there was a sign over the bar "transmission Europe's biggest transsexual night" they where only people wearing jeans and t shirts 

Was on a stag do in Manc about 15 years ago and we ended up bladdered in a tranny place. My mate tried to get off with one. He wouldn't listen when we told him his new squeeze was a man

He still hasn't lived it down; if only I had pictures

5 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Was on a stag do in Manc about 15 years ago and we ended up bladdered in a tranny place. My mate tried to get off with one. He wouldn't listen when we told him his new squeeze was a man

He still hasn't lived it down; if only I had pictures

Napoleons? 

On the hospital theme. Was about 18, went out for a pound a drink with my mate. He's a united fan they got to the champions league final. Ended up in this bar He's buying tequila vodka redbull jugs. That pissed He's pouring half on the floor.

Next day he was sick from work where we were shelf stacking. Rang him apparently he walked home. Woke up in bed. Until he realised his bed didn't have curtains in front of it.  He tried discharge himself then realised he had no pants on. 

• Upvote 1

The original Winston's in Leeds circa 2001. It was a unashamedly a brothel. This was back in the day where clubs closing at 1:00 am wasn't quite good enough for those of us with birds and a thirsty nature. Anyway, we knew what we were getting into so we repaired to Winston's which was open all night under the guise of being a 'health spa with massage' With an open bar. Our intention was to pay the £10 in just to keep the ale flowing until we dropped. Anyway, one thing leads to another.. two of my mates tap off and I'm left playing winner stays on at the pool table with the under-employed ladies and chatting f**ty with the bouncers. Got talking to a lad who was an investment banker in the midst of a divorce. He'd worked out that it was cheaper for him to carry on his 18-hour days in the office and live out of Winston's every night (hey, it had a proper 'spa' with showers, beds and that) than set himself up with a flat and pay taxes, utilities etc. He'd been living there for six weeks.

I was only a few weeks into my relationship with my new beau at the time, so being a gent I rebutted the advances of many a masseur that night (who were, objectively way out of my league - but money talks, right?).  I still can't quite get my head around that night.