You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vaccine - Hands In The Bucket...

Paul

Really hope I get this before the Brazilian variant gets here and starts taking down us youngsters. Genuinely surprised I haven't been called yet despite having high blood pressure a BMI which has seen me reclassified at least twice now as a planetoid by Jodrell Bank.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Just crept into the 45 - 50 bracket that they announced earlier are now getting appointments so booked in on Monday and second one in July.

Hopefully I don't get a clotty one.

Same.

Got first one tomorrow and second one on 3rd July.

Saw story on bbc site that it was being offered to 45-50 and then went on link they posted and booked.

I booked in today for 2 May and 11 weeks later.

Bit of a mess, finding corresponding times and places for where I live, but I nabbed a first local and second more distant. 

For those with experience: are you permitted to drink before, during, and after? 

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I did.

Like you hoping it isn't the one with clot problems....odds on it will be as they are not going to give it to under 30's are they so suppose they will use the stocks of it up on us lot and keep others to give the younger groups.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Like you hoping it isn't the one with clot problems....odds on it will be as they are not going to give it to under 30's are they so suppose they will use the stocks of it up on us lot and keep others to give the younger groups.

You know which vaccine you're receiving by the distance between doses: about 3 weeks for Pfizer; 4 for Moderna; 11 for AZ...

14 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Why? Because there's a remote chance of serious side effects? Or because it's the least effective vaccine globally apart from the Chinese crap? 

Serious side effects, mostly. I’ve suffered from severe anxiety and panic since I gave up drinking, so I know I will be constantly worrying about delveloping a blood clot. That it seems to be the least effective vaccine available in this country, doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Serious side effects, mostly. I’ve suffered from severe anxiety and panic since I gave up drinking, so I know I will be constantly worrying about delveloping a blood clot. That it seems to be the least effective vaccine available in this country, doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

Focus on the sexy nurses.

So they're suspending the use of the J&J vaccine because 6 people out of a near 7m recipients got blood clots.

Statistically more likely to get a blood clot with the oral contraceptive pill.

Obviously it's terrible for the people that got the clots (1 died), but suspending the vaccine and putting tens of thousands at risk for a literal 1 in a million chance seems mental to me.

2 hours ago, Lario said:

So they're suspending the use of the J&J vaccine because 6 people out of a near 7m recipients got blood clots.

Statistically more likely to get a blood clot with the oral contraceptive pill.

Obviously it's terrible for the people that got the clots (1 died), but suspending the vaccine and putting tens of thousands at risk for a literal 1 in a million chance seems mental to me.

Yeah not getting this at all. 

In Ireland they have now suspended the AZ for people under 60, but if you have already had your first jab and have a chronic condition and are under 60 (all in my case) then it's ok to have the second jab!  I'm going to have it when I'm due it in June but all this chopping and changing is a bit unsettling. The logic being used here sounds crazy to me.

5 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

My jab centre is a 10 min motorway drive away. Will I be fine driving home or best to be driven ? 

From what I can see if I don't collapse in the first 15 mins I should be fine to get home myself.

My Mrs drove home further than that with no issues and she is the biggest hypochondriac I know.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m due to have the AstraZeneca  tomorrow. I’m worried and undecided.

I was completely okay with it, got my second tomorrow. Actually I did feel ill the next day, but I'll put that down to the drink.

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Luckily you are too old and too male to be in the higher risk categories. The only issue I have had with AZ is finding myself studying spiders intensely as they spin webs.

57 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

My jab centre is a 10 min motorway drive away. Will I be fine driving home or best to be driven ? 

From what I can see if I don't collapse in the first 15 mins I should be fine to get home myself.

I rode a bike for about 15k straight from it and was fine.

Its was couple of hours where I started to feel odd, then the shitfest...

• Upvote 1

One of the dumbest things about the pandemic, among many things, is people sticking up or shitting on certain vaccines. If there are safety concerns, you let the authorities do their jobs and check things out, otherwise you get the one you're offered. This "I'll get Pfizer, not AZ or J&J" thing is beyond stupid, as if the layman has any cursory idea what the actual difference is between vaccines. 

• Upvote 1