You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Movie Soundtrack - Nominations

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Comparing a film about a boxer to one about a load of people on a space ship battling with aliens does seem an odd one. Having said that, you have mentioned that you've never seen Rocky about eight thousand times so understandable.

Rocky IV is technically a sci-fi film, given Ivan Drago is a robot.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mook said:

Comparing a film about a boxer to one about a load of people on a space ship battling with aliens does seem an odd one. Having said that, you have mentioned that you've never seen Rocky about eight thousand times so understandable.

No I haven't seen a Rocky film, excerpts yes. I wasn't comparing the two films at all, how could you apart from them both being pretty silly. I've no problem with escapism mind it's just not for me, I prefer more realistic films to be honest. 80001.

Just now, easytoslip said:

No I haven't seen a Rocky film, excerpts yes. I wasn't comparing the two films at all, how could you apart from them both being pretty silly. I've no problem with escapism mind it's just not for me, I prefer more realistic films to be honest. 80001.

I bet your favourite film is Tron. 

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is anyone casting any votes for soundtracks from films they don’t really rate?  Or is this at risk of turning into "favourite film" by proxy?

Permanent Record is a much better soundtrack than film. The film is mediocre but the soundtrack is by Joe Strummer. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I bet your favourite film is Tron. 

I can still happily watch Tron - it looked fantastic when it was released and the score is interesting (Carlos also wrote the music for The Shining). Never seen a Rocky film because I'm not a boxing fan.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mars said:

I can still happily watch Tron - it looked fantastic when it was released and the score is interesting (Carlos also wrote the music for The Shining). Never seen a Rocky film because I'm not a boxing fan.

Anyone who has seen Rocky and appreciates it for what it is will tell you it's not a boxing film. If boxers boxed like Rocky it would have been banned before jesus bragged about his halibut. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just watch Rocky will you. I haven't got kids yet and even they've all seen all 5 ffs 

Haha, I shan't. What's it about then, the USA v USSR? and was it a Halibut? that'd go a long way to explaining that fishy fable and I might add its not Jesus its Jezoo, Jezoo wept. 

6 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Haha, I shan't. What's it about then, the USA v USSR? and was it a Halibut? that'd go a long way to explaining that fishy fable and I might add its not Jesus its Jezoo, Jezoo wept. 

The first one is a decent enough film (with a wholly undeserved Oscar, which it got because it gave the USA some much-needed fluffing, in the middle of a bout of national cockflop) and a good soundtrack.

Don't bother with the rest.

22 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The first one is a decent enough film (with a wholly undeserved Oscar, which it got because it gave the USA some much-needed fluffing, in the middle of a bout of national cockflop) and a good soundtrack.

Why would Rocky give them fluffing and what was the national cockflop?

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Why would Rocky give them fluffing and what was the national cockflop?

Hangover from Watergate; defeat in Vietnam; fucked up economy; frustration at the faltering progress of civil rights; etc. It's the background that superior films like Taxi Driver, Network and All The President's Men reflected brilliantly.

It's also the background that a daft little old-fashioned Cinderella story provided a welcome relief from.

39 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

That's Rocky IV, the series had fallen to self-parody by then. Even if it is a really fun movie.

Rocky is a film about hope, people in poverty getting to shoot their shot.  Suffers from people comparing it to other more gritty and nihilistic films of the time, but it's a totally different kind of film. Much more sentimental, and not in a bad way whatsoever. It's a 10/10 in any year. Taxi Driver being too heavy for the Oscars, even in the 70s, is not the fault of Rocky.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I won't, but didn't he base his role on Chuck Wepner? if its not about boxing. 

Anyway I'm pissed off as went round to hers to settle down to watch a good movie and my DVD disc was fucked and we couldn't find it on the likes of Netflix etc. Wiseblood is a dark funny film but that's for another thread. 

Watched Tony instead. 

43 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Just give it a go. Ignore angry, he's full of shit. 

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

That's Rocky IV, the series had fallen to self-parody by then. Even if it is a really fun movie.

Rocky is a film about hope, people in poverty getting to shoot their shot.  Suffers from people comparing it to other more gritty and nihilistic films of the time, but it's a totally different kind of film. Much more sentimental, and not in a bad way whatsoever. It's a 10/10 in any year. Taxi Driver being too heavy for the Oscars, even in the 70s, is not the fault of Rocky.

Spot on. I love all the Rocky films even Rocky 5 but Rocky (The first one) is an absolute fucking masterpiece. A genuinely superb film that grabs every emotion you don't know if you should do a push up or have a cry or both