You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Movie Soundtrack - Nominations

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is a bit like what would have happened if Code had run the Greatest Bands tournament  - "Nobody can vote for A-Ha, because they are so clearly superior to everyone else".

Apart from the fact I did not nominate A-Ha, you might have a point. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Don't get the rules then, half of submissions are not eligible. Rocky probably wouldn't be either. For example, is Ry Cooder's Paris Texas soundtrack eligible? It is a score, but it has a song. Or just collections of songs from various artists?

I missed the bit where you started the tournament? 

1 hour ago, Code said:

The rules are pretty easy to understand, not sure how it could be difficult to understand at all. 

Best thing all of you have ever said 

42 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Rocky needs to come back into play, one film at a time. 

The soundtrack to the original film is very good and a contender for the final; but it certainly doesn’t tower over the field the way Aretha or The Beatles do. The rest of the Rocky films only have one recognisable tune between them and that's a bit shit. 

Rocky is out full stop 

36 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes, I’d been pondering this over a cheese salad sandwich myself.

Walk The Line, in particular, would do well in this tournament but it opens the door to the Elton John, Freddie Mercury vehicles. Vastly inferior movies but decent soundtracks. There’s also that Bruce Springsteen one which is an average, at best, film but has some ‘Boss’ music.

There’s even that one about the guy who claims to write all The Beatles songs after the world forgets them but nobody likes them anyway so no issue there. 

Peado 

12 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Pulp Fiction

Pretty in Pink

Easy Rider

Trainspotting

The Graduate

Thanks for playing the game properly mate 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No skin off my nose, because I wouldn’t vote for it and I can't see it getting past the Quarter-Finals.  I'm just baffled by the rationale for excluding it.

Because not everyone is gay like you 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Musicals count of course but negged for picking 6 

Talk about reading the post! 

I thought I was helping as at the time there was a question mark if musicals were allowed so my 6th nomination was only in case musicals were not allowed.  Thought that was better than naming five only to have one disallowed thus possibly disallowing all of them and having to clarify and start again.

Anyway, cos I named six, do I need to name my five again now the musicals question has been answered?

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Talk about reading the post! 

I thought I was helping as at the time there was a question mark if musicals were allowed so my 6th nomination was only in case musicals were not allowed.  Thought that was better than naming five only to have one disallowed thus possibly disallowing all of them and having to clarify and start again.

Anyway, cos I named six, do I need to name my five again now the musicals question has been answered?

If I ask the icey man for an ice cream he isn't gonna start throwing every ice cream he's got at me. You fucking fringe. 

Yeah send your list again mate. 

And just think, if you had a k at the end of your name you'd have finger banged Penelope Cruz in a helicopter. Chances eh 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

You aren't choosing the entire catalog - just one movie. Which individual Rocky film has a soundtrack to match some of the others on here already?

The Eye of the Tiger film?

Rocky Horror Picture Show is better.

Rocky IV is boss, cheesy but boss.

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If I ask the icey man for an ice cream he isn't gonna start throwing every ice cream he's got at me. You fucking fringe. 

And just think, if you had a k at the end of your name you'd have finger banged Penelope Cruz in a helicopter. Chances eh 

K? Moof, isn’t it?

Mook has every film Penelope Cruz has ever made on DVD shoved up his arse.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I don’t own any film soundtracks. I own The Wall but don’t consider it to be a soundtrack.

Bit of a boring category for me this one, I’ll probably sit it out. 

Ha ha. I’m happy to participate, but would have preferred best/favourite films of the 60s, 70s, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Well that's fine cos I want to change one of my nominations anyway.  Also fine with not fingerbanging Penelope Cruz, Mook can have her.

Pulp Fiction

Quadrophenia 

Batman (Burton/Prince)

Pretty In Pink 

The Sound of Music

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Should be short and sweet, pick your top 5. Depending on interest I'll either do top 16 or top 32. (Rocky Soundtrack is out because it will win and its too broad across the films) 

Who in the name of Dickens would vote for Rocky? Although I've never seen the films I'd imagine it's Eye of the Tiger unless there's some decent tracks throughout the films? If so I I'll take that back. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Who in the name of Dickens would vote for Rocky? Although I've never seen the films I'd imagine it's Eye of the Tiger unless there's some decent tracks throughout the films? If so I I'll take that back. 

Track listing

All music by Bill Conti.

"Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)" (vocals: DeEtta Little/Nelson Pigford) – 2:48

"Philadelphia Morning" – 2:22

"Going the Distance" – 2:40

"Reflections" – 3:19

"Marines' Hymn/Yankee Doodle" (Jacques Offenbach/Thomas Holcomb/Traditional, arranged by Conti) – 1:45

"Take You Back (Street Corner Song from Rocky)" (vocals: Valentine) – 1:49

"First Date" – 1:54

"You Take My Heart Away" (vocals: DeEtta Little/Nelson Pigford) – 4:46

"Fanfare for Rocky" – 2:34

"Butkus" – 2:12

"Alone in the Ring" – 1:09

"The Final Bell" – 1:56

"Rocky's Reward" – 2:03

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Track listing

All music by Bill Conti.

"Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)" (vocals: DeEtta Little/Nelson Pigford) – 2:48

"Philadelphia Morning" – 2:22

"Going the Distance" – 2:40

"Reflections" – 3:19

"Marines' Hymn/Yankee Doodle" (Jacques Offenbach/Thomas Holcomb/Traditional, arranged by Conti) – 1:45

"Take You Back (Street Corner Song from Rocky)" (vocals: Valentine) – 1:49

"First Date" – 1:54

"You Take My Heart Away" (vocals: DeEtta Little/Nelson Pigford) – 4:46

"Fanfare for Rocky" – 2:34

"Butkus" – 2:12

"Alone in the Ring" – 1:09

"The Final Bell" – 1:56

"Rocky's Reward" – 2:03

Righto though not heard of any save Yankee Doodle Dandy maybe so can't comment.