You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Movie Soundtrack - Nominations

Bjornebye

Might require a bit of thought this. It's not as easy as it first seems.

What about films (say, Jaws) with one brilliant, iconic theme, but nothing else of note?

What about music that's perfect in the film, but doesn’t really stand on its own? Or vice versa?

Should films with original music score more highly than those that have put together other people's music (I'm looking at you, Quentin!)

So much to think about!

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Might require a bit of thought this. It's not as easy as it first seems.

What about films (say, Jaws) with one brilliant, iconic theme, but nothing else of note?

What about music that's perfect in the film, but doesn’t really stand on its own? Or vice versa?

Should films with original music score more highly than those that have put together other people's music (I'm looking at you, Quentin!)

So much to think about!

This goes back to my (unanswered) question above about whether scores are included or just soundtracks. 

• Upvote 1

The Third Man

Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud (Lift to the Gallows)

One Upon a Time in America

Once Upon a Time in The West

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

First five films I could think of where I think music is as important as other elements, think they have all been released as soundtracks. Sorry to be pedantic but don't quite understand, are we choosing the best CD released as the official soundtrack (they often have music not in the film), the music for a film, score, best use of music in a film, best songs used in a film.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The Third Man

Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud (Lift to the Gallows)

One Upon a Time in America

Once Upon a Time in The West

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

First five films I could think of where I think music is as important as other elements, think they have all been released as soundtracks. Sorry to be pedantic but don't quite understand, are we choosing the best CD released as the official soundtrack (they often have music not in the film), the music for a film, score, best use of music in a film, best songs used in a film.

Another vote for all them except I don't know the French one so I'll have The Godfather instead. 

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Just to be clear, soundtracks and not scores? So songs by recording artists rather than incidental music? Because I’d have Blade Runner by Vangelis in if it’s both. 

Soundtracks:

1. Under The Cherry Moon

2. Do The Right Thing

3. Superfly 

4. Grosse Point Blank

5. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Soundtracks not scores. I'll just discount nominations. Has to be SONGS IN A MOVIE by actual artists not Zimmerman , Morriconne etc otherwise its a walkover for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 

21 minutes ago, Moo said:

Pulp Fiction 

Quadrophenia 

Batman (Tim Burton/Prince)

Pretty In Pink 

Grease (if musicals are allowed)

Kill Bill (if musicals are not allowed)

Musicals count of course but negged for picking 6 

• Upvote 2