You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drain Blockages

Blocked drains are a right pain in the arse. I'm currently using a combination of drain blockage gel, warm/hot water, plunger and now I've introduced the James Bond of drain blockages.

The Plumber's serpent.

And the fucker is still blocked. I'm thinking of pouring down a magazine of AK-47 rounds.

That drain blockage gel stuff is a waste of time. Your plumber's serpent, is it a bendy wire thingy that you shove down the pipe, give it a couple of turns and shove some more of the bendy wire down it, rinse and repeat?

They normally shift most things like globs of hair or bits of food and fatbergs but you have to keep feeding the wire down the pipe and turning. If it's a solid blockage, you'll need some rods. If it's really stubborn you'll need someone like dynarod but they'll cost a fortune.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That drain blockage gel stuff is a waste of time. Your plumber's serpent, is it a bendy wire thingy that you shove down the pipe, give it a couple of turns and shove some more of the bendy wire down it, rinse and repeat?

They normally shift most things like globs of hair or bits of food and fatbergs but you have to keep feeding the wire down the pipe and turning. If it's a solid blockage, you'll need some rods. If it's really stubborn you'll need someone like dynarod but they'll cost a fortune.

That explains the handle then, getting the whole thing down is going to be a contortionist's trick. It's so long, it keeps hitting blockages which presumably is what I'm trying to get rid of.

If this fails, it will either have to be rods or rods.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That explains the handle then, getting the whole thing down is going to be a contortionist's trick. It's so long, it keeps hitting blockages which presumably is what I'm trying to get rid of.

@rb14 Time to step up to the plate mate 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The one I have is coiled in a drum so you can feed it down the pipe and turn the handle. If it's just a long piece of wire with a handle on one end, its a bit harder to use. Shove as much of the wire down the pipe until it goes no further. Then turn the handle until you feel the wire move further along the pipe.Stop then feed more wire until it stops. Turn the handle again until the wire moves forward again.

Corners are the hardest to get round but just keep a bit of force on the wire while turning the handle. Might take a few goes but it should getaround a 90 degree bend.

The people who had the house before us did the kitchen up in the extension. It looks lovely and all, but the builders who did it plumbed the kitchen sink waste into a fucking soak away in the garden. We only discovered this when trying to clear it because unsurprisingly, it kept blocking.  I'm having to pay the best part of a grand to get it dug into the main sewer.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Have you tried switching it off and on again?

I might try that after rods, cunting it in the bastard but just before moving house.

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The one I have is coiled in a drum so you can feed it down the pipe and turn the handle. If it's just a long piece of wire with a handle on one end, its a bit harder to use. Shove as much of the wire down the pipe until it goes no further. Then turn the handle until you feel the wire move further along the pipe.Stop then feed more wire until it stops. Turn the handle again until the wire moves forward again.

Corners are the hardest to get round but just keep a bit of force on the wire while turning the handle. Might take a few goes but it should getaround a 90 degree bend.

It's a long piece of wire with a handle. It's gradually getting further down the drain so it might be getting through.

23 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Where is blocked mate? Is there a smell?

There's a blockage somewhere down the kitchen sink. Funny you mention smells, as I'm spinning the serpent I'm picking up a slightly weird smell but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

It's a long piece of wire with a handle. It's gradually getting further down the drain so it might be getting through.

There's a blockage somewhere down the kitchen sink. Funny you mention smells, as I'm spinning the serpent I'm picking up a slightly weird smell but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it.

If your sure it’s just a blockage in the sink then there shouldn’t be a problem, especially if the blockage is all of a sudden, slow water movement with a smell can be a sign of a collapsed drain.

A mate of mine is a plumber and he loves telling us that when he started he would wear rubber gloves up to his shoulder, face masks and all PPE.  After a few years he’d be happy to stick his arm down a bog, drag out a nappy or collection of tampons bare skinned and not bat an eyelid. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

If your sure it’s just a blockage in the sink then there shouldn’t be a problem, especially if the blockage is all of a sudden, slow water movement with a smell can be a sign of a collapsed drain.

Ooh interesting, I'll keep an eye on it. I got the whole wire down there and gave it a good twist. Now I've got it about half way out and it's stuck in there. It's like a comedy scene.

4 hours ago, mattyq said:

I had this last year and after trying everything had to get a plumber in. He used a length of garden hose which did the trick, £80

I'll look into that.