You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Northern Independence Party

AngryOfTuebrook

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's it: I'm now convinced it's just some London-based satirists trolling us.

20210329_103653.png

Because nothing represents Northern England more accurately than a fucking whippet and the gratuitous use of the word "bloody".

20210329_103725.png

The only thing that could have made that better is if two of the promises were to start an indoor toilet revolution and eradicate Rickets within our lifetime.

• Upvote 2

NIP will do well to keep their deposit in Hartlepool. All publicity is good publicity for a new party with no budget and basically made up on a cyber equivalent of a beer mat. The red wall is a parody, Mondeo man is a parody etc etc, so why not? I suspect middle aged balding centrist males with santa sized stomachs might inadvertently get them quite a bit of free media coverage. Anyway there was a time a genius svengali supported a candidate in Hartlepool -- well.

But when Stuart Drummond, aka H'Angus the monkey, unexpectedly trounced Labour's mayoral favourite and Mandelson ally - local businessman Leo Gillen - relations between editor and MP plunged to new depths.

Mr Mandelson, Labour's former communications director, effectively blamed the Mail for helping a monkey, Hartlepool FC's mascot, defeat the local party machine, repeating the accusation "five or six times" to the Mail's deputy editor, Neil Hunter, at a heated post-election news conference.

Other, other names (3%) – the list used by YouGov was by no means exhaustive and 20-29% of people in East Riding of Yorkshire and South Yorkshire answered “something else” when asked what name they most commonly used. Previous research from other sourcesindicates that potential candidates here could be “bread cake” and/or “scuffler” among others.

The minority of the tiny minority call it a bread cake. And they’re on here trying to push it on us normal people. Fucking disgraceful. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

A northern party won't catch on because northerners all hate each other. Wigan/St Helens, Blackburn/Burnley makes Israel/Palestine look like a minor disagreement over the Radio 4 playlist between Ken Barlow and Captain Picard. 

Even within Runcorn there's animosity between the Old Town and the New Town; the only thing that they agree on is that Widnes is shit.

• Upvote 1

There’s a history of that sort of thing up there...  

https://pressgazette.co.uk/mandy-goes-bananas-after-election-of-mayor-monkey/

The Hartlepool Mail has strongly defended itself against accusations by local MP Peter Mandelson that its coverage of the recent election for mayor helped a monkey defeat the Labour Party candidate.

The town’s new mayor is Stuart Drummond, who is normally seen as H’Angus the Monkey, the mascot of Hartlepool United football club. His manifesto promised free bananas for schoolkids.

On election night, Mandelson approached Mail deputy editor Neil Hunter and expressed his anger at the paper’s election coverage. He repeated the accusation that he blamed the Mail for the election result "five or six times" at a press conference following the count, claimed Hunter, after he had asked television crews to turn off their cameras. "I asked him to expand on what he said," said Hunter, "because I did not agree with it. He said he did not have to but said he was looking at the problem. He claimed we had offered a fair wind for the independent candidate to come through and had placed hurdles in the way of the Labour candidate."

The following morning, Mandelson telephoned and asked deputy news editor Peter McCusker to give Hunter a message: "I hope your shorthand note is accurate."

The Mail went into print with the story of Mandelson’s claims and in a leader said: "What a pity that his [Drummond’s] rivals, and especially Peter Mandelson, couldn’t accept the outcome of the democratic process with anything like good grace.

"Mr Mandelson’s petulant and almost hysterical outburst in which he blamed the Mail for the Labour candidate’s defeat is an unseemly snub to the new mayor who won fair and square. His withering attack on the Mail is an insult to the integrity of the paper and its staff."

The leader also said that while it was careful throughout the campaign to be totally impartial, it fully expected to be accused of bias by the Labour Party if it lost.

Mandelson has not spoken to Mail editor Harry Blackwood since last June’s General Election.

9 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Great news for Labour, as it will give them someone to blame if they lose Hartlepool, irrespective of the facts.

That's a fair point. UKIP forced the tory party to the right i wonder if this party makes inroads will it force the Labour party to the left?

33 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A northern party won't catch on because northerners all hate each other. Wigan/St Helens, Blackburn/Burnley makes Israel/Palestine look like a minor disagreement over the Radio 4 playlist between Ken Barlow and Captain Picard. 

True this. There’s five towns making up the City of Wakefield, they all hate each other.

In fact the various estates, villages etc. in each of the towns hate each other as well.

In fact people from the north end of the village I live in hate those from the south end and vice versa.

In fact nobody on my street is that keen on anybody else on my street.

In fact my wife hates me. 

In fact I hate myself. 

It’s the northern way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

True this. There’s five towns making up the City of Wakefield, they all hate each other.

In fact the various estates, villages etc. in each of the towns hate each other as well.

In fact people from the north end of the village I live in hate those from the south end and vice versa.

In fact nobody on my street is that keen on anybody else on my street.

In fact my wife hates me. 

In fact I hate myself. 

It’s the northern way. 

Mad isn't it - do people in Melbourne hate people from Adelaide? People from Marseilles hate people from Toulon? Or is it a particularly British thing?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Mad isn't it - do people in Melbourne hate people from Adelaide? People from Marseilles hate people from Toulon? Or is it a particularly British thing?

Nah, it’s a human thing, we define ourselves by distinction from other so inevitably it leads to these weird, fabricated, groupings.

We learn it from school where we’re first taught difference through uniforms and taught collectivism, duty and to know thine enemy. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I worked with a lad from Adelaide about 10 years ago. If all people from there are like him then everybody should hate Adelaide. Absolute fucking gobshite.