You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/03/21 at 11:06

I went out and did a random straw poll of 5 mates, not all from the same friendship group and not all with same taste of music.

one said Wu tang 36 chambers, another said Madonna, another said rancid (and I had no idea at all he had good taste) one said guns n Roses and another hasn’t replied yet.

no mention of Beatles. Non.

4 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I went out and did a random straw poll of 5 mates, not all from the same friendship group and not all with same taste of music.

one said Wu tang 36 chambers, another said Madonna, another said rancid (and I had no idea at all he had good taste) one said guns n Roses and another hasn’t replied yet.

Madonna?

21 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Says more about you than them Spunky.

26 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

And another was too pissed to use capital letters consistently. Oui.

30 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Echo echo. Chamber chamber.

8 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Revolver, but Yellow Submarine really is fucking awful, it must be said. Not crazy about Rigby, either.

Personal playlists are where it's at with the Beatles.

Not crazy about Rigby??  Madness!

I can’t decide between the 2. Revolver is sort of stronger but then Abbey Rd, is maybe more fun...chilled?
I’m not a music journalist by the way.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Revolver, but Yellow Submarine really is fucking awful, it must be said. Not crazy about Rigby, either.

Personal playlists are where it's at with the Beatles.

Eleanor Rigby is one of my favourites. I love Yellow Submarine, too. My dad used to sing it to me when I was little.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Brownie said:

Echo echo. Chamber chamber.

Maybe maybe. But but not not all all from from the the same same (enough now) friendship group and 2 of the 4 are fiends of friends while another is a school dad so a circumstantial mate and not someone I’ve ever really talked music with.

interestingly, 2 are Liverpool fans but none of the 4 are from Liverpool. 

I've never really understood this fixation people have with their perceived 'worst track' on an album. I remember I loaned my copy of King Crimson's Red to someone at my work & he came back a few days later & started going on about Providence (an 8 minute improvisation) & how much he didn't get it. I'm stood there thinking 'All that amazing music & you're focused on the one piece you didn't like or understand?'.

I don't skip tracks or look at albums that way myself, it's like blanking out a bit of a painting you don't like to me. If an artist is worth their salt then they're worth sticking with for forty minutes.

• Upvote 5

Personally I dont think Beatles have aged well. 

I also notice that 5 out of 10 of the albums I suggested are in the above 30 million sold category in the list posted earlier. Michael Jackson- Thriller, Pink Floyd- The Wall, Dire Straits- Brothers in arms, Bruce Springsteen-Born in the USA and Guns N’Roses- Appetite for Destruction. 

Those who missed out were REM - Automatic for the people, Pearl Jam - Ten, Leftfield- Leftism, Police- Synchronicity and Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik, all massive albums obviously. 

19 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Eleanor Rigby is one of my favourites. I love Yellow Submarine, too. My dad used to sing it to me when I was little.

Yeah it's got some sentimental value for me, too, but I just think having a children's song in the middle of a rock album is a shit idea. Revolver'd be massively improved if it was replaced by something like Hey Bulldog imo.

On 20/03/2021 at 07:59, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

My son is 14 and loves the band so much he is now Paul McCartney in a Beatles tribute band which also comprises of a 15, 17 and 18 year old who are all big fans. I've no idea where this all came from as he didn't get it from me but someone must have been listening to them to get him interested.

He must be playing bass to a fair standard for a 14 year old, as some of McCartney's lines can be quite challenging. Especially if he's singing as well. 

Fair play to him, make sure he sticks at it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, General Dryness said:

He must be playing bass to a fair standard for a 14 year old, as some of McCartney's lines can be quite challenging. Especially if he's singing as well. 

Fair play to him, make sure he sticks at it.

He just took to it off the back of being a lead guitarist/vocalist. He was never much good at sports but he’s a totally 

natural musician and it’s great to see him having a ball with it. I’ve basically finished playing now so it was nice to see him on stage instead and having a few pints watching him, hopefully he’ll be back at it again soon. He loves McCartney’s playing (and Bernard Edwards for a touch of funk) so it’s nice to see him stretching himself.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

He just took to it off the back of being a lead guitarist/vocalist. He was never much good at sports but he’s a totally 

natural musician and it’s great to see him having a ball with it. I’ve basically finished playing now so it was nice to see him on stage instead and having a few pints watching him, hopefully he’ll be back at it again soon. He loves McCartney’s playing (and Bernard Edwards for a touch of funk) so it’s nice to see him stretching himself.

Good stuff, I've been trying to get my boy off the gaming long enough to start learning. Bought him his own bass, a half size one that's the perfect size for him (he's just turned 9), but I haven't yet managed to compete successfully with fortnite, minecraft and the likes. Here's hoping.

Your lad sounds like he's taken to it like a duck to water, which is great.

58 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Good stuff, I've been trying to get my boy off the gaming long enough to start learning. Bought him his own bass, a half size one that's the perfect size for him (he's just turned 9), but I haven't yet managed to compete successfully with fortnite, minecraft and the likes. Here's hoping.

Your lad sounds like he's taken to it like a duck to water, which is great.

Keep at it, Joe didn’t start until his 12th birthday after failed drumming and oboe! stages. He took it up after watching our guitarist play and he hasn’t looked back. If only you could get across properly how much fun he would have if he learned to play he’d be dropping fortnite in a heartbeat. Still loads of time for him though.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2021 at 08:38, Mook said:

I've never really understood this fixation people have with their perceived 'worst track' on an album. I remember I loaned my copy of King Crimson's Red to someone at my work & he came back a few days later & started going on about Providence (an 8 minute improvisation) & how much he didn't get it. I'm stood there thinking 'All that amazing music & you're focused on the one piece you didn't like or understand?'.

I don't skip tracks or look at albums that way myself, it's like blanking out a bit of a painting you don't like to me. If an artist is worth their salt then they're worth sticking with for forty minutes.

Yeah, but if you were looking at an absolutely glorious painting of a gorgeous woman, and the artist had doodled a spunking cock on the bird's head, that'd probably make the biggest impression on you.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Macca and Bernard Edwards, what a great pair to have as icons, well in on the lad. Funnily Nile Rogers once remarked that years before Chic became famous Edward's always said how much he loved McCartney's bass tabs, silly love songs being a personal favourite.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2021 at 09:56, YorkshireRed said:

I nominated this and it didn’t even make the tournament. Anti Scouse bias at its worst. Unless it was anti me bias then fair play. 

I missed out on nominating. It would have been one of my nominations for sure.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2021 at 08:38, Mook said:

Yeah, but Yellow Submarine is generally on another level to a duff track no-one ever listens to isn't it?  One of the most famous melodies out there.

• Upvote 3