You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/03/21 at 11:06

1 minute ago, Mook said:

This is one of the maddest posts I've seen on here & that's saying something.

My youngest listens to them in amongst songs about motherfuckers and niggas. Quite the contrast to hear Please Please Me bookended by NWA and Tupac.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I wouldn't have thought so by any metric. The best selling Wings album was Band on the Run at about 6 million, so it's possible that something like Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road by themselves sold more albums than the entire Wings output.

Wings isn't listed separately in this- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists - although it may be included within the McCartney total, but either way, the sales of the Beatles are way, way ahead.

Yeah, it sounded a bit strange, that is probably why it stuck with me.

That Wikipedia list is mad on the other hand, did Rihanna really outsell Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones? Sounds insane.

Edit: and by certified units alone, she is the best selling recording artist of all time.

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Given you are complaining about the presence of three Beatles albums in the top four, I’m curious as to what you would have instead.

Im complaining about the idea that 3 Beatles albums are in the top 4 greatest albums ever made. It’s ridiculous bias.  I own all those albums as they’re great, but top 3 ever? Even just the suggestion that any band has the top 3 albums of all time is laughable. 

My choice literally has nothing to do with it. But for the record it’s Now That’s What I Call Music 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yeah, it sounded a bit strange, that is probably why it stuck with me.

That Wikipedia list is mad on the other hand, did Rihanna really outsell Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones? Sounds insane.

Edit: and by certified units alone, she is the best selling recording artist of all time.

Just looked at about 6 or 7 different sources and the Beatles are way ahead of everyone on sales

31 minutes ago, Brownie said:

What’s this? An Irish person going on about local bias haha, what next?

Over on the Dublin Way Johnny’s forum has it down to Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, the Undertones and the Pogues.

Never long until the xenophobic, whataboutery hatred shows its ugly face. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Im complaining about the idea that 3 Beatles albums are in the top 4 greatest albums ever made. It’s ridiculous bias.  I own all those albums as they’re great, but top 3 ever? Even just the suggestion that any band has the top 3 albums of all time is laughable. 

My choice literally has nothing to do with it. But for the record it’s Now That’s What I Call Music 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. 

What albums would you have expected to have made the top 4? 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The biggest selling British/Irish group/artist of all time by about 140 million units (twice as many as the nearest) having 3 out of the top 4 albums in a tournament on a Liverpool website where the majority of people are UK/Ire based is is pathetic? Get a grip. 

Rolling Stone magazine has Revolver at 11 and Abbey Rd at 5 in the best 500 Albums of all time... they have Marvin Gaye, What's Going On at 1

My choice is Abbey Rd. I've loved it for at least 30 years and it's as fresh today as it was in the 60s.

A masterpiece

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Rolling Stone magazine has Revolver at 11 and Abbey Rd at 5 in the best 500 Albums of all time... they have Marvin Gaye, What's Going On at 1

My choice is Abbey Rd. I've loved it for at least 30 years and it's as fresh today as it was in the 60s.

A masterpiece

I thought they had Sgt Pepper at 1, last time I looked.

5 minutes ago, mattyq said:

A masterpiece

That's interesting. They also have Lauren Hill in the top ten. The Beatles are the only British act in their top ten.