You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Semi Final 2 - Abbey Road vs Revolver

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/03/21 at 11:06

9 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Don’t be getting all upset.  I’m not calling into question the great comps. Just how daft it is that we’d think that 3 Beatles albums are in the top 4 albums of all time. 

I'm not the one crying. I wish I'd left The Beatles out though tbh mate for this very reason but it's not beyond comprehension that they would have 3 in the semi finals. 

I’m genuinely surprised by it. I don’t know anyone other than my mother who listens to the Beatles. I’m sure I do, but I don’t know that they do, to the point where I can be confident none of them other than her would choose one as the best album of all time.

3 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m genuinely surprised by it. I don’t know anyone other than my mother who listens to the Beatles. I’m sure I do, but I don’t know that they do, to the point where I can be confident none of them other than her would choose one as the best album of all time.

Where do you think we all hear them mate? 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It's pretty obvious your mum has rigged the tournament. The only other explanation is that the 200 million or so records the Beatles sold are enjoyed by many people on this forum, which seems a bit far fetched!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Fucking hell. 

A Liverpool website, and 3 of the 4 semi finalists are Beatles albums?  This is embarrassing.  It's taking the whole, "I'm a Liverpool fan so I MUST love everything to do with Liverpool", to a whole new desperately pathetic level.  

Move it to the Members Forum where at the very last we can't be embarrassed by this in public.  Jesus lads. 3 Beatles albums are in the 4 greatest albums ever made???  Fucking hell..

I doubt any other website would find many better albums than Sgt Peppers, Revolver and Abbey Road.  They are universally acknowledged as about as good as it gets.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I doubt any other website would find many better albums than Sgt Peppers, Revolver and Abbey Road.  They are universally acknowledged as about as good as it gets.

I don't think they would be virtually unchallenged outside Liverpool. On here, they are like US basketball Dream Team at the Barcelona Olympics.

7 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It's pretty obvious your mum has rigged the tournament. The only other explanation is that the 200 million or so records the Beatles sold are enjoyed by many people on this forum, which seems a bit far fetched!

I get it that they were popular, but my mums 70. Who the fuck is still listening to them that isn’t 60 plus age bracket?

as I say, nobody I know.

15 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I get it that they were popular, but my mums 70. Who the fuck is still listening to them that isn’t 60 plus age bracket?

as I say, nobody I know.

I’m in my forties. I rarely listen to music that wasn’t made pre-1990, and mostly listen to stuff that came out forty plus years ago. 

Who do you listen to, Bob?

36 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't think they would be virtually unchallenged outside Liverpool. On here, they are like US basketball Dream Team at the Barcelona Olympics.

Hardly unchallenged.  Led Zep and Pink Floyd had good runs; but, just like anywhere else in the world, we concluded that these three Beatles albums are better.

41 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

as I say, nobody I know.

My son is 14 and loves the band so much he is now Paul McCartney in a Beatles tribute band which also comprises of a 15, 17 and 18 year old who are all big fans. I've no idea where this all came from as he didn't get it from me but someone must have been listening to them to get him interested. I started listening to the Beatles when John Lennon died and couldn't believe how musically brilliant their song writing was. The amount of top musicians who defer to them as a band is staggering.

On the topic of Abbey Road,  'I want You' is a fucking phenomenal song. 'Golden Slumbers' is sublime, 'The End' medley quite brilliant and that is without songs such as 'Something', 'Come Together' and 'Here Comes The Sun'. Revolver is a wonderful album and deserves to be up there but really The Beatles should have just apologised to every other band (current and future) when Abbey Road was released for raising the bar so ridiculously high.

As someone once said, if you could name any four musicians to be a supergroup it should be John, Paul, George and Ringo. What a fucking band.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

as I say, nobody I know.

Lots of people.  Enough people (from all age groups) to rack up a quarter of a billion Spotify streams in a month.  They can't all be forumites and/or Scousers.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6851679/beatles-spotify-data-age-groups/ 

Maybe you just don't know enough people.

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Hardly unchallenged.  Led Zep and Pink Floyd had good runs; but, just like anywhere else in the world, we concluded that these three Beatles albums are better.

They were completely unchallenged. There was never any doubt for any of the four Beatles albums that they would win anytime against anybody. Just look at the spreads. 

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Lots of people.  Enough people (from all age groups) to rack up a quarter of a billion Spotify streams in a month.  They can't all be forumites and/or Scousers.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6851679/beatles-spotify-data-age-groups/ 

Maybe you just don't know enough people.

Hang on, is Code a Beatles fan? 

I reckon I listen to the Beatles every day. I didn’t really get into them until I got a bit older.

I’d always heard bits when I was younger but wasn’t that arsed. When you get older though your perspective changes and you tend to be a bit more open minded and your taste in music becomes a bit more refined.

The Beatles stuff is just fucking brilliant.

Abbey Road is my favourite album of all time so only one winner for me in this poll.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Fucking hell. 

A Liverpool website, and 3 of the 4 semi finalists are Beatles albums?  This is embarrassing.  It's taking the whole, "I'm a Liverpool fan so I MUST love everything to do with Liverpool", to a whole new desperately pathetic level.  

Move it to the Members Forum where at the very last we can't be embarrassed by this in public.  Jesus lads. 3 Beatles albums are in the 4 greatest albums ever made???  Fucking hell..

What’s this? An Irish person going on about local bias haha, what next?

Over on the Dublin Way Johnny’s forum has it down to Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, the Undertones and the Pogues.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

It would have been four if they didn't have to go against each other.

Stig, RE biggest selling, is it true that Paul McCartney sold more records with Wings (or Wings and solo maybe) than with The Beatles? I read that somewhere years ago, may be bullshit. May be only for records sold during the active period of respective bands. 

I wouldn't have thought so by any metric. The best selling Wings album was Band on the Run at about 6 million, so it's possible that something like Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road by themselves sold more albums than the entire Wings output.

Wings isn't listed separately in this- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists - although it may be included within the McCartney total, but either way, the sales of the Beatles are way, way ahead.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

as I say, nobody I know.

This is one of the maddest posts I've seen on here & that's saying something.

• Upvote 3

Nearly Revolver simply for the sound of Ringos snare on Tomorrow Never Knows but it’s Abbey Road for me. 

Listen to a ton of music across a spectrum of genres but that’s an album I regularly return to and enjoy to this day, as quite simply its a fucking amazing album. 

• Upvote 2