You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - QF - Zeppelin IV vs Abbey Road

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - QF - Zeppelin IV vs Abbey Road  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - QF - Zeppelin IV vs Abbey Road

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/03/21 at 10:18

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

And before all the Beatle Mop Top Wig Wearing quims start crying into their Abbey Road sleeves, I regard the Beatles as pioneers and a group of Scouse lads who changed the music world forever. Doesn't mean they wrote the best albums in the world ever though.

Reasons why Beatles albums are clearly flawed (from Rubber Soul onwards, as that seems to be the general consensus as to when they became a great albums band)...

Rubber Soul - Michelle

Revolver - Yellow Submarine 

Sgt Peppers - When i'm 64

Magical Mystery Tour -  Your Mother Should Know

The White Album - Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-da, Honey Pie, Why don't We Do It In The Road, Revolution #9

Let it Be - One After 909

Abbey Road -  Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Octopus's Garden

Some absolute stinkers in there. In my opinion their versatility was on one hand their greatest strength and on the other their biggest weakness. Particularly with McCartney, clearly a genius but bordering on the "showing off for the sake of it" at times. I struggle to come to terms with the fact that Helter Skelter and Honey Pie are actually on the same album.

No doubt someone will come along and defend When i'm 64, but it's absolute ear-AIDS and deep down, we all know it. If anyone else recorded that it would be derided as pap, but The Beatles tend to get a free pass because the rest of their output is usually so good.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I struggle to come to terms with the fact that Helter Skelter and Honey Pie are actually on the same album.

Isn't that eclecticism part of their strength? If a band or artist is eclectic enough, there's probably nobody who likes all of their output.

A lot of the songs you've listed are hugely popular right around the world and have been so for over half a century.  They might not float your boat, but they're clearly not objectively bad songs.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Reasons why Beatles albums are clearly flawed (from Rubber Soul onwards, as that seems to be the general consensus as to when they became a great albums band)...

Rubber Soul - Michelle

The White Album - Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-da, Honey Pie, Why don't We Do It In The Road, Revolution #9

Some absolute stinkers in there. In my opinion their versatility was on one hand their greatest strength and on the other their biggest weakness. Particularly with McCartney, clearly a genius but bordering on the "showing off for the sake of it" at times. I struggle to come to terms with the fact that Helter Skelter and Honey Pie are actually on the same album.

No doubt someone will come along and defend When i'm 64, but it's absolute ear-AIDS and deep down, we all know it. If anyone else recorded that it would be derided as pap, but The Beatles tend to get a free pass because the rest of their output is usually so good.  

You'll be telling us Magic Pie by Oasis is shit next. Jesus christ 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Of course they're not mutually exclusive, I think everyone I know who is into their music holds The Beatles in high regard.

Are your top three albums of all time by The Beatles though? 

The older I get, the more I find the idea of having a top three or top ten albums a bit daft as there are constantly new things to discover & whatever I'm listening to a lot at that time would be my favourite.

I have a varied and interesting music palate - it's not just the Beatles - I also like Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Merseybeats, Billy J Kramer, Freddie and the Dreamers - it's a pretty electric mix of styles I think you'll agree! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Isn't that eclecticism part of their strength? If a band or artist is eclectic enough, there's probably nobody who likes all of their output.

A lot of the songs you've listed are hugely popular right around the world and have been so for over half a century.  They might not float your boat, but they're clearly not objectively bad songs.

Yeah mate, i did say that one one hand their versatility is equally as much of a blessing as a curse. I've never liked bands who sit still and don't move on, but at the same time most of those bands that i like don't do pastiches of 1920's ragtime tunes or George Formby songs.

46 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I have a varied and interesting music palate - it's not just the Beatles - I also like Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Merseybeats, Billy J Kramer, Freddie and the Dreamers - it's a pretty electric mix of styles I think you'll agree! 

Yeah but most of them did some accoustic work too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Pah! Commercial sell-outs.

I only listen to Beryl Marsden, The Undertakers and Earl Preston & the TTs.

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Rubber Soul - Michelle

McCartney wrote Blackbird so he can write whatever else he wants to as far as I'm concerned! I'm sure he never would, but even if he wrote a song about his temporary secretary I wouldnt mind.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Rubber Soul - Michelle

Those 'bad' songs are better than 95% of most band's best songs.

54 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Those 'bad' songs are better than 95% of most band's best songs.

Depends on whether you like George Formby or not. Personally, i don't.

I'm sure that the bands i really like have a far better ratio of less annoyingly twee songs than The Beatles have, that's because it's my opinion. 

I'm well aware i'm fighting against the tide on this one. And just to reiterate... i really like The Beatles, the point i was trying to make was that on a personal level i just don't think any of their albums were flawless, which is why i didn't pick any of them in my top ten. If i was picking a top 20 of favourite songs  then Tomorrow Never Knows, Hey Jude and I Need You would probably all waltz in there, no questions asked.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

Depends on whether you like George Formby or not. Personally, i don't.

I'd wager that the bands i really like have a far better ratio of less annoyingly twee songs than The Beatles have, that's because it's my opinion. 

I'm well aware i'm fighting against the tide on this one. And just to reiterate... i really like The Beatles, the point i was trying to make was that on a personal level just don't think any of their albums were flawless, which is why i didn't pick any of them in my top ten. If i was picking a top 20 of favourite songs  then Tomorrow Never Knows, Hey Jude and I Need You would probably all waltz in there, no questions asked.

Dare you to list your top 10 favourite albums.....