You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves 0 Liverpool 1 (Mar 15 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It wasn’t pretty but at this point who cares? Getting back to anything like what we have come to expect is going to be a process. It’s not going to be like flicking a switch and suddenly being boss again.

The players have been through the ringer and confidence is fragile, but this was a step in the right direction.

They battled hard and defended as a team. I thought we just about deserved to win even though it was a pretty even contest. Our football could have been better but we did well in flashes. The most encouraging thing was the clean sheet. We had a few minor scares but in general we defended superbly and once again great credit needs to be given to the two young lads at the back. Solid as fuck.

In our situation it’s become more important than ever though that we score first. When we concede you can almost see the lack of belief coursing through the team. It’s like they know they won’t get back into it. When we score first and have something to hold onto it’s completely different, not least because it opens up chances to play on the break.

In fact, if Salah had been half a yard deeper when Ox played him in late on this would have been a perfect second half. Defended well, kept them at arm’s length then killed them on the break. Exactly how you’d draw it up on the tactics board. Unfortunately Mo went a little too early and was offside.

We’ve struggled to score goals recently but so have Wolves so this was always going to be a low scoring affair and therefore the first goal was going to be key. If Wolves had scored first I think we’d have lost, but we’ll never know that obviously. 

Both teams had chances in the first half but the finishing wasn’t good. Mané had the best opportunity of the half when some nice play by Thiago and Gini sliced through Wolves and sent him clear. He did the right thing by going around Patricio but he didn’t execute it properly and couldn’t get a shot away. 

My take on it was he just took a bad touch on his left foot and then couldn’t get it out of his feet, meaning he needed to take another touch and that threw off his stride pattern and prevented him getting a shot away.

Thierry Henry’s take was similar but a little different. He said Mané should have used his right foot to go around Patricio and his left foot to shoot. Presumably that’s what Thierry himself would have done as he says when running at top speed you always use your stronger foot. I’m judging it by my own standards though, and with me being naturally two footed I didn’t think there was anything wrong with Sadio going with his left, I just think it was a poor touch.

This is only a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Kabak was excellent and even carried the ball out of defence a couple of times, looked a lot more assured. Ox looked really good in his cameo, took up some good positions, turned and ran at their defence.

• Upvote 1

Was a little surprised at Alli's keeping last night. I still think shit refs like atkinson, mason, taylor and one or two others would have given it. Bit surprised by his decision to punch a few as well but he got good distance with them which Id prefer to a dropped catch.

Sadio just wont go down in the box will he and, I think Owen's hit the nail on the head. Goes down, gets the pen and it is Mo getting a chance to score in the chase for the golden boot, not Sadio.

Jurgen needs to fucking sort this out because Sadio's on the deck anywhere else on the pitch as you say.

• Upvote 2

Us winning this game through a Diogo Jota goal that was scored in a way that would never have been scored by Firmino just adds to my theory that Klopp playing Jota in that meaningless Champions League match was the worst decision he has made this season.

I'm not angry about it since this entire season has been a farce with the injuries and corrupt officiating but I'll always look back at that decision and just wonder why?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tlw content said:

I’m judging it by my own standards though, and with me being naturally two footed

Absolute comedy gold. Worth every penny of the subs. How do you keep up this stuff Dave? Are you Peter Kay in (not much of a) disguise?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

Us winning this game through a Diogo Jota goal that was scored in a way that would never have been scored by Firmino just adds to my theory that Klopp playing Jota in that meaningless Champions League match was the worst decision he has made this season.

I'm not angry about it since this entire season has been a farce with the injuries and corrupt officiating but I'll always look back at that decision and just wonder why?

I think Salah played the full 90 in that game. Just one of those things for me. He could have been pulled off sooner but the injury could have happened sooner too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Sadio just wont go down in the box will he and, I think Owen's hit the nail on the head. Goes down, gets the pen and it is Mo getting a chance to score in the chase for the golden boot, not Sadio.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. I think a more likely explanation is that Mané is trying to get rid of the perception of him as a diver. Our league season is probably fucked anyway, so why not be the good guy now and then go down easily in matches next season when we are hopefully fighting to take our title back? 

• Upvote 2

Sadio isn't himself at the moment but he's not a cheat. Just because other teams have done that against us doesn't mean it's right, it's not the Liverpool way never has been. He's an honourable man so cheating isn't an option. He's a magnificent player and man who will come through this lack of form. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

You stupid fucking muppet.   Tune in next week when dockers is talking down to people for believing twiiter rumours on injuries. 

Comparing Mane to yourself is harsh on Sadio. Give the man a break. He’s trying.

Also good to look forward to a match report again, and not feel like shit the following day (hangover apart).

I wonder if the players are aware how a bad result can ruin a whole weekend or week for so many people. 

• Upvote 1

Quick point of order here.

I wasn't criticising Sadio as he's every bit as two footed as myself. If anything, it was pointing out that Henry is inferior to us both because he admitted he couldn't use his weaker foot when running at top speed.

The only criticism of Sadio was that it was a poor touch, which he would be the first to agree with.

Just felt that needed clarifying.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Quick point of order here.

I wasn't criticising Sadio as he's every bit as two footed as myself. If anything, it was pointing out that Henry is inferior to us both because he admitted he couldn't use his weaker foot when running at top speed.

The only criticism of Sadio was that it was a poor touch, which he would be the first to agree with.

Just felt that needed clarifying.

With regard to you, there are three bits that need clarifying:

1. Two-footed 

2. Running

3. Top speed

Other than that, no problem. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic