You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shaqiri: Every team has their ups and downs

TLW

Xherdan Shaqiri has experienced plenty of highs and lows during his decade long professional career and says that it dealing with disappointments is one of the challenges that you learn to overcome as a Footballer.

The Swiss star came to Liverpool from Stoke City at the end of the 2017/8 season when the Potters was relegated from the Premier League.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Shaqiri recalled that tough moment which in turn has helped him deal with the loss of form by the reigning Premier League champions.

“They were not good times.  I know how it is when everything is not going well.

"Here (at Liverpool), everything is bigger. People from outside speak a lot more. The club is so big that there are always people talking, left and right. 

“This is normal. It is a big club and you have to deal with that because we are also a great team. Every team can have its ups and downs.

"We are human beings. But we try to stay calm."

While Footballers get paid incredibly handsomely compared to most in the community,  they are certainly not immune from the daily struggle that any that we all have to deal with, especially in these most difficult times. 

The winger detailed the personal impact of what this gruelling season has had.

shaqiri4_600.jpg

“I have not seen my family for five or six months now. It has not been simple for me also because I am very close to my family. I cannot wait to see them again so hopefully everything gets better soon."

The current home losing streak in the league has been discussed at depth, and while every club is dealing with the lack of fans due to the pandemic it has hit Liverpool more than most.

“Everybody knows how our fans are when they push us. Everybody knows how many games we have managed to come back in if we concede a goal. I think there are many, many games where you can see that, many examples. Of course, we miss them a lot.

"For the smaller teams, it is easier to come to Anfield with no fans. There is no pressure. You can see that in many ways and in many games. The smaller teams have more of a chance."

Shaqiri believes that one of the main ways to get out of this form rut is to keep a positive mindset.

“We need to get back on track and get the confidence back to win games. But we are a big team and I am pretty sure that we are going to get back to winning.

"We speak a lot together and the coach gives us the right directions. I don't want to tell everyone what is said in our dressing room but we are speaking a lot and we know we have to come back stronger and give what he wants on the pitch. We have to stay positive."

While falling victim to a number of leg muscle injuries during his Reds career,  the Swiss international is someone who the fans have a special fondness for.

Be it his creative mindset, exquisite technical ability or his generally happy demeanour,  Liverpool look a better side when he is fit and firing. 

Andy Robertson recently highlighted that fact by saying that Shaqiri has the best left-foot in the squad, even superior to Mo Salah.

As someone who is on the fringes of the first team, Shaqiri knows he always has to be ready for his number to be called but knows what he can offer the team.

“It is important to stay mentally strong and this is one of my strengths, staying focused on the game even when it is not going well. When the time comes, you need to be there.

"I am a player who likes to take risks on the pitch. That is what I try to give the coach."

shaqiri1_600.jpg

While the team may not be in the best place at this point of time, Shaqiri looks to have put his injury woes behind him in 2021 and has been a consistent figure in the first team squad making 12 appearances in all competitions.

Shaqiri will hope that his qualities are called upon this evening as Liverpool return to league action coming up against Wolves.

They head to Molineux after a strong win against RB Leipzig in the Champions League and booking their spot in the quarter-finals of the competition.

But he knows that performance must become the norm, not just a one-off.

“We are going there with better confidence now, for sure, after the Leipzig game where we won and kept a clean sheet.

"That can drive us on, especially in this game before the international break. If we win three points we can go to the national team in a good mood.

“We are trying. We just need to improve performances and then I am sure we can succeed again. We have to stay positive and work hard.

"This club has to be successful. It has to be at the top."

View full article