You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marvin hagler

littletedwest

I thought Marvin was indestructible, not so much born of woman, but mined from a quarry.

The word 'great' is used way too freely these days in every area of life, in Boxing nowadays two successful title defences of a spurious alphabet title gets you labelled as such. Hagler was a great, marvelous in fact. One of the greatest in era and generation of greats.

I can't believe he's gone. Was just watching the two Antuofermo fights in midweek.

• Upvote 2

One of the very few fighters who could change his name to something like Marvelous and have it deemed suitable.

Other fighters get in the ring prepared to fight, guys like Hagler are prepared to go to war. He had all the tools, could box, brawl and had amazing stamina and a huge heart.  A relentless stalking machine with one of the most durable jaws I've ever seen in boxing, I still watch the War with Hearns regularly and am still shocked at the utter ferocity of both men in that opening round.

I can't think of too many modern era middleweights who could have gone through that.

The term legend is definitely used too much, but Hagler is right at the very top in the list of all time greats.

RIP Marvelous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I thought Marvin was indestructible, not so much born of woman, but mined from a quarry.

The word 'great' is used way too freely these days in every area of life, in Boxing nowadays two successful title defences of a spurious alphabet title gets you labelled as such. Hagler was a great, marvelous in fact. One of the greatest in era and generation of greats.

I can't believe he's gone. Was just watching the two Antuofermo fights in midweek.

Well put. Marvellous was the the most appropriate name for Marvin.

10 hours ago, KMD7 said:

That loss still rankles with me a bit, and I love Leonard. Hagler was boxing in the 80's for people of my age. 

Any fighter boxing in his 80s deserves the utmost respect. 

Jokes aside I've never seen a boxer quite like him, an absolute legend of the boxing world.

2 hours ago, Byrnie said:

What a legend. I was just watching his fight with Mugabe last week. Round 6 was as brutal as it gets.

As has been said, I wish I could have lived through that era of boxing. Also, I had Sugar Ray winning the fight.

No way did Leonard win it 118-110 though. At a push one round or a stretch at two. I actually scored it back in the 80s and had a draw or one round to Hagler,meaning he would still have been the champ. I think he knew that more than anything.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No way did Leonard win it 118-110 though. At a push one round or a stretch at two. I actually scored it back in the 80s and had a draw or one round to Hagler,meaning he would still have been the champ. I think he knew that more than anything.

118-110 was a complete joke.

Leonard deserves huge credit for getting in with him, regardless of the result. Especially with his previous comeback performance.

2 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

Leonard deserves huge credit for getting in with him, regardless of the result. Especially with his previous comeback performance.

It was a sort of Liston v Ali in terms of physique and with a dodgy result too. I think Leonard fancied his Athleticism and fast hands could impress the judges,and he got it right.

25 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

He certainly did. No one saw him putting in the performance that he did. 

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was a sort of Liston v Ali in terms of physique and with a dodgy result too. I think Leonard fancied his Athleticism and fast hands could impress the judges,and he got it right.

If I remember correctly Leonard watched the Mugabi fight and thought for the first time that Marvin was slowing down a bit and so thought he could beat him. 

I thought Marvin won by a round or two but can see why Leonard could also have taken it.  Those flurries at the end of the rounds really helped him.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KMD7 said:

He certainly did. No one saw him putting in the performance that he did. 

If I remember correctly Leonard watched the Mugabi fight and thought for the first time that Marvin was slowing down a bit and so thought he could beat him. 

I thought Marvin won by a round or two but can see why Leonard could also have taken it.  Those flurries at the end of the rounds really helped him.

Those were our absolute halcyon days Dec, great fighters, Chuck Hull as ring announcer and Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy as the commentary team. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, clockspeed said:

How he survived the first round with Hearns defies belief , to go on and win it was greatness right there. Marvellous is right.

Here you go, has to be the most brutal opening round in boxing history. What a champion,

7 hours ago, Byrnie said:

On the subject of dodgy scorecards I watched the tyson Douglas documentary. One judge had tyson winning and one had it even. Not sure what fight they were watching 

41 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

On the subject of dodgy scorecards I watched the tyson Douglas documentary. One judge had tyson winning and one had it even. Not sure what fight they were watching 

Douglas should've been counted out in that fight too. 

26 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

Douglas should've been counted out in that fight too. 

Never agreed with that. 

He's up at 9, from the count to him standing is around the 10 maybe 11 second mark. His timing is the same on the Tyson knockdown but he rightly calls it off as Tyson was done. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Here you go, has to be the most brutal opening round in boxing history. What a champion,

The fight gave one of boxing's most iconic quotes. With blood gushing from his head the doctor was called and was about to call off the fight, the doctor told Hagler he couldn't see, to which Hagler replied "of course I can see I ain't missed him once have I" the doctor begrudgingly let fight go on and Hagler duly knocked Herns out a few seconds later.

Interesting little article on Marvin below. He says Tony Sibson was the strongest boxer he faced and Alan Minter had the best chin..

https://www.ringtv.com/532711-best-faced-marvelous-marvin-hagler/

As a little aside I almost spent a weekend as a chaperone to Marvin when he was coming over from Italy (Marvin lived in Italy after retirement) to appear at my mates boxing promotion but it got cancelled so alas not to be. I did however on another occasion spend a few days with Smoking Joe Frazier, his manager/agent and Dave Love (Joe's minder) after the turn of the century but that's another story. To say them three fellas were larger than life would be an understatement.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What an era of Middleweight,and the weight divisions around it,the late 70s and 80s was. Boxing in general was fantastic then.

Yeah unbelievable. Hagler, Herns,Leonard,Duran.  What a fuvcking quartet of middleweights.