You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marvin hagler

littletedwest

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

His nickname could not have been more apt.

It was this nickname, he changed it by depol if im not mistaken. 

Apparently he had an adverse reaction to the covid vaccine. Surely to fuck that's not true???? 

What a fighter though, arguably the greatest middleweight of all time. 

I was too young to have watched him live, but my dad absolutely adored him and still gets angry when he hears anyone mention sugar Ray Leonard. 

I've watched alot of Haglers fights back. If you could ever model yourself on one pro, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than Hagler. 

Absolutely granite chin, although he supposedly had a thicker than average skull, hence the granite chin. Knockout power in both hands and possibly one of the most fluid like switch hitter there's ever been. An absolute legend. 

RIP 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Look at them. Hagler, Hearns, Sugar Ray look at their physique then look at their spirit.... not a chance they'd get past 5 rounds. De La Hoya, Mayweather, Calzaghe, Jones even... nah. (I know you're gonna say why am I using Calzaghe) Its a fact. The refs let them fight. Boxing isn't really that hard for those with that bit of talent but fighting as well? Hagler epitomises the master boxer/fighter for me. 

Agree to a point but wouldn't say modern boxers couldn't compete. It's unfair on them really as if you transport them back in time they still have that inate love of boxing and drive. They would ha e been up there because it was the way. Its like people saying Ronaldo and Messi are so much better than Pele and Maradona and bringing the pace of the modern game into it. Well put them back in time and dealing with the pitch,the ball and the tackles that went in and I guarantee they don't score 50 goals a season. Bring the older players in today and there stats go up. The game changes. 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

It was this nickname, he changed it by depol if im not mistaken. 

Apparently he had an adverse reaction to the covid vaccine. Surely to fuck that's not true???? 

What a fighter though, arguably the greatest middleweight of all time. 

I was too young to have watched him live, but my dad absolutely adored him and still gets angry when he hears anyone mention sugar Ray Leonard. 

I've watched alot of Haglers fights back. If you could ever model yourself on one pro, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than Hagler. 

Absolutely granite chin, although he supposedly had a thicker than average skull, hence the granite chin. Knockout power in both hands and possibly one of the most fluid like switch hitter there's ever been. An absolute legend. 

RIP 

I don't believe the covid stuff. He may have had a jab but if so it's a coincidence.My dad bought me a video of him. As a kid I used to rent boxing videos from the library. My dad bought me a hagler video and champions forever as well.

Just now, Lee909 said:

Agree to a point but wouldn't say modern boxers couldn't compete. It's unfair on them really as if you transport them back in time they still have that inate love of boxing and drive. They would ha e been up there because it was the way. Its like people saying Ronaldo and Messi are so much better than Pele and Maradona and bringing the pace of the modern game into it. Well put them back in time and dealing with the pitch,the ball and the tackles that went in and I guarantee they don't score 50 goals a season. Bring the older players in today and there stats go up. The game changes. 

Watch the state Haglers face is in when he still goes in toe to toe with Hearns before dropping him, watch the kicks Maradona got constantly every single game. Battered, bruised, bloody and still getting on with it. We live in a generation of shit-bags. talented yet but by and large shit-bags. You are right that given the environment they all probably would still stand out in their field. I'm more defending the ones who dismiss the greats as opposed to knocking the greats of this era. 

• Upvote 1

With you on that. 

I totally was put of the likes of Naseem Hamed when he declared he was better than Ali and other shit. It's the same with them actually responding to you tubers for fights and other shit. Too much media not enough fighting proper opponents. 

Just now, Lee909 said:

With you on that. 

I totally was put of the likes of Naseem Hamed when he declared he was better than Ali and other shit. It's the same with them actually responding to you tubers for fights and other shit. Too much media not enough fighting proper opponents. 

Hamed was unreal at what he did but he didn't fight anyone that good. The shape of the older boxers blows my mind. 

• Upvote 1

My grandad boxed in the circus in the US in the 20s. If you beat him you doubled your money. He was only small. He had an interesting life. Emigrated to the US after his brother fought in World War one and said he couldn't live in a country like England after living through the trenches. Followed him over there. Boxed in circuses, played the piano in saloons. Married over there.  Divorced, then moved back to England married my grandma. She died, married his first wife again who moved over here. He died in 92. 

• Upvote 5

That's some interesting life. 

Strange times back them, incredible to think just how big the world seemed just 100 years. You read about Cricket or early world Cup tours and players needed to take 6 weeks just to get their via ships

20 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

My grandad boxed in the circus in the US in the 20s. If you beat him you doubled your money. He was only small. He had an interesting life. Emigrated to the US after his brother fought in World War one and said he couldn't live in a country like England after living through the trenches. Followed him over there. Boxed in circuses, played the piano in saloons. Married over there.  Divorced, then moved back to England married my grandma. She died, married his first wife again who moved over here. He died in 92. 

What a man. x

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Mid 80’s was the last time I enjoyed boxing, the best fought each other instead of fighting bums for money. I especially loved the Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Leonard bouts. We obviously didn’t watch it live, but saw it the following weekend on World Of Sport with Dickie Davies.

Used to remember those fights coming thick and fast, often on a Friday night (I think), enthralling watching those legends go into battle, even then I knew I was watching a golden era of boxing. Incredibly exciting.

Crackerjack, Sherlock Holmes, Monkey, It's A Knockout, legendary fights, damn I miss those nights.

Seconds out Marvelous Marvin, it was an honour sir.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Getting that typewriter clicking mate.

3 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Obviously not his greatest achievement, but can't be too many men who've carried off bald quite as well as he did

tumblr_o7kpalb09s1tuy8zto5_500.jpg

Remember reading that a few days before fights he would let parts of it grow so that when he got up close he could rub the stubble in your face or cut on your eye 

RIP to an utter legend....I remember that first time I heard of hi was when he came over and destroyed Alan Minter....Much to the crowds annoyance 

• Upvote 3