You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago: I have not been happy with my performances since arriving at Liverpool

TLW

Thiago Alcantara feels he has played  below the standard he sets for himself since arriving at the club.

The 29 year-old with one of the finest pedigrees in modern day football came to the Reds in October to much excitement from the fanbase.

His first outing against Chelsea was just 45 minutes, but it was a cameo which certainly whetted the appetite in what he could deliver to a team that was already full of confidence and quality.

He continued that form in his second game against Everton but towards the end of that contest, he was at the end of a highly reckless challenge by Richarlison which saw the former Bayern Munich and Barcelona man on the sidelines for over two months with a knee injury.

Thiago returned to the side in late December but understandably took a while to get to speed.

But as the form of the side started to dip, the frustration of his slightly underwhelming performances started to grow louder and critics were not shy in questioning whether he was a good fit for this side.

Alcantara has been around the game long enough not to get swept up in any background noise, but as someone who takes incredible pride in his performance, knew that he had to raise his game.

The Echo (via TNT Sports Brasíl) reported the midfielder as saying:

“I don't read a word about what people talk about me.

"I know that I receive some criticism about my performances, but I'm not happy with my performance since I came here.

“A new club, a strange situation (COVID), I had a strong injury, so get to into the rhythm it was hard, but it's not an excuse.”

A fallout of the defensive crisis meant that Fabinho and Jordan Henderson had to deputise in central defence, meaning that Thiago could not strike up a working relationship with the duo.

Wednesday night was only the second time since he arrived that he had played with Fabinho in midfield, and certainly relished the opportunity to do so.

image.png

“He(Fabinho) is a great player.

“He gives us a lot of confidence in our backs, and it's awesome to play alongside him.

"It frees me up a bit, I can move some lines forward and with that I can be more confident and player (nearer) with the strikers.

“I enjoy playing a bit more advanced because you're always near the goal and you can create chances and score. It's a nice position."

View full article

I think he's been ok to good to excellent in virtually every game he's played.  Certainly, when we've had another loss it's never him that springs to mind as the problem.  I think the press and opposing fans are focusing on him out of schadenfreude more than anything else.  The press desperately want to compare him to Veron, when he has been far from the problem in every game he's played.  

Put it this way, if Thiago keeps playing like he is now for the next two seasons, and we marry that to our first choice defence being available again, and a forward line back firing like it did when we won the league and European cup, then we'll win next seasons title too.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Put it this way, if Thiago keeps playing like he is now for the next two seasons, and we marry that to our first choice defence being available again, and a forward line back firing like it did when we won the league and European cup, then we'll win next seasons title too.

Rudyard Kipling hopes so.

And so do I.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Literally the first 2 lines of that poem are Thiago

Dickens was obviously foretelling of Hard Times too...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us

26 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I think he's been ok to good to excellent in virtually every game he's played

Strongly disagree. He's stunk the place out for a few games. The amount of times he's given away unnecessary frees, got yellow cards, and lost possession because he was dawdling was unbelievable.

Mind you, nightmare circumstances moving teams/countries this year into this team.

Hope he kicks on and shows why he is rated so highly. 

7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Strongly disagree. He's stunk the place out for a few games. The amount of times he's given away unnecessary frees, got yellow cards, and lost possession because he was dawdling was unbelievable.

Mind you, nightmare circumstances moving teams/countries this year into this team.

You're spoiling our haughty, overblown literary metaphors here, Rick.

Kindly desist.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us

And while that's fine, I think Maya Angelou nailed it with:

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it."

12 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

5 minutes ago, skaro said:

You're spoiling our haughty, overblown literary metaphors here, Rick.

Kindly desist.

Yeah, fuck off Rick you cunt, we're being haughty.

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

And while that's fine, I think Maya Angelou nailed it with:

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it."

Guru Bob:

When two people fly for the ball, only one can find true happiness.

7 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

3 yellows in 20 matches really is unbelievable.

9 hours ago, skaro said:

Hard Times? More Tale of two Cities.