You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 RB Leipzig 0 (Mar 10 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It’s like watching a different sport isn’t it? These games are like night and day compared to Premier League games. The way we play. The way the opposition plays. The way the game is officiated. Just completely different.

We’ve been mostly shite for months but we have looked like ourselves in both games against Leipzig. This performance was better than the first leg but we played well in both games. It seems bizarre that we can completely outplay the second best team in Germany but continually lose to the worst teams in England, but styles make fights as they say.

Leipzig’s approach suits us. What we’ve seen this season is that we really don’t have the creativity to break down teams defending the edge of their own box. I don’t even just mean the Burnleys and West Broms of this world either. Even teams like Chelsea who weren’t ‘defensive’ against us still defended in a specific way that we find hard to overcome.

Leipzig were the opposite of that. They play from the back, they commit players forward, they leave gaps fucking everywhere! Our forwards just don't get to play like this of a weekend.

We could have had a hatful. In the first half Jota had three good chances and Salah had two. Some of the football played to create the chances was lovely, some of it was route one. We had very little trouble getting in great positions though. Thiago also had a good opportunity but he opted to play a difficult pass instead of taking an easier shot. That was probably the only thing he did wrong all night though, he oozed quality. His best performance so far.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave. Agree with your comments about Nat. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I think some have lost sight a little in the overall defender's overall ability vs pace thing.

Unless you have a defender who can match the whippets pace for pace which is rare, many defender will always struggle. As Hansen used to say, the one thing you dont like as a defender is a pacy forward. And seeing as most defenders are defenders because they arent the quickest on the pitch, most will struggle.

We still dont know just how mobile Virgil and Joe will be when they get back from their respective injuries.

Kudos to the lads, it really, really did look like everyone stepped up a notch because Fab was back playing where he should be. Agree on Phillips also, seems like a great guy with utterly no pretences whatsoever. And a line I never thought I’d write: the officials were like a breath of fresh air; zero bullshit, very, very few mistakes, no “look at me camera, look at me!!” crap and a common-sense approach. There were some tasty, and a few niggly, fouls last night which would have seen any of the fucktards in the Prem lavash a bucketful of yellows and reds (usually while having some contorted look on their face in the hope the camera’s on them), but the guy last night let the game go and it was a joy to see. Back on Fab playing MF, I actually think that will help us breakdown packed defences also, he makes the rest feel secure and can play a killer pass himself (or rifle the odd one in from 25yds which we’ve had none of this season). 

I don't think you can overstate the effect the refereeing has on Sadio and Mo.  In the Prem they get absolutely nothing given for them, and they know this before even touching the field. You can almost see it in their body language whenever they get wrestled with or chopped down. They get up with minimal fuss in the PL these days, while in the CL they will get the freekicks they deserve. 

It'll be back to the usual shit on Monday, and I guarantee they're not looking forward to it

I had Gini down as MOM. I thought he was outstanding. But there were great performances throughout the team. The weakest link was (and I hesitate to say it) Robbo, but even he was miles better than usual. Of the subs, James was good, Origi too surprisingly, but Keita? Just fuck right off. I've no idea how AOC did, and nor do I care.

If only the Premier League was reffed by decent officials. 

Turpin is a very good ref indeed, but the overall standard in Ligue 1 is not much better than it is in PL.

Refreshing game, crazy how Jota manages to get so many chances. We ‘ll be way better with him around. Abs so much better with Fab in midfield.  On the way to glory... hopefully.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Turpin is a very good ref indeed, but the overall standard in Ligue 1 is not much better than it is in PL.

Refreshing game, crazy how Jota manages to get so many chances. We ‘ll be way better with him around. Abs so much better with Fab in midfield.  On the way to glory... hopefully.

I'd take incompetent, unbiased refs before the Prem refs any day. 

• Upvote 3

Enjoyed reading that.

re referees, that’s a good point about getting in foreign referees. We do it with players so it only follows we should have world class referees. Never considered it before myself. 

hugely agree re Fabinho boosting everyone else’s level of performance too. Must be reassuring knowing he’s there if you lose the ball.

3 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

"What does this win mean for the rest of the season? In terms of the league, absolutely nothing. Just like the first leg win meant nothing. We hadn’t won since that game..."

We beat Sheffield Utd!

Pffft. That doesn't count. Everyone beats them. Southampton hadnt won in nine but they still beat Sheffield United!

• Upvote 1

I think Klopp had it right about Fabinho when he said he showed how much he prefers playing there and was laughing at him.  He didn’t just play well and was the best player on the bitch he was absolutely loving it.  You can see it on his face.  He must have done about 5 fouls just because he knew he could do it there.  I love the fact he doesn’t even acknowledge any player he fouls either.

In regards to Nat Phillips I’ll say it.  He does deserve a future here.  He hasn’t had a bad game and a centre back being good in the air is actually a massive thing for a good pressing game.  They can’t go long because he fucking eats them up.  I think people were happy jumping on Kabak as well after his first couple of games but he’s doing alright himself.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I think Klopp had it right about Fabinho when he said he showed how much he prefers playing there and was laughing at him.  He didn’t just play well and was the best player on the bitch he was absolutely loving it.  You can see it on his face.  He must have done about 5 fouls just because he knew he could do it there.  I love the fact he doesn’t even acknowledge any player he fouls either.

In regards to Nat Phillips I’ll say it.  He does deserve a future here.  He hasn’t had a bad game and a centre back being good in the air is actually a massive thing for a good pressing game.  They can’t go long because he fucking eats them up.  I think people were happy jumping on Kabak as well after his first couple of games but he’s doing alright himself.

That's no way to talk about Mrs Tavares!

• Upvote 2

Going to miss Gini so much, him and mo have incredible stamina and high work rates they are magnificent. Really enjoyed the match and I was thrilled for Sadio scoring, he really needs a confidence boost. As for Fabinho he was incredibly impressive. 

987e332.jpg

b8616b9.jpg

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic