You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We can’t carry on like this.

Crazy Dave

13 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Klopp even went 442 yesterday in the 2nd half. He also tweaked the formation vs Sheffield Utd which prompted some good analysis on MNF by Carragher. Trent played from right back similar to the way Cancelo does for City, joining up occasionally with midfield and then forming a back 3 when needed.

We also played a 442 diamond vs West Ham and 442 vs City earlier in the season. But these things get ignored by the "Klopp never tries any thing different" mob.

Granted, maybe he needs to change it up more often, but when he does change it up, these cunts here then moan about too many changes or that he didnt make the specific changes they are 100% guaranteed would have worked. Ridiculous behaviour. 

A good post in full.

2 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

The amount of so called fans I see around the internet that are all too happy to stick the knife into Klopp and the team during this run is astounding. The logic of "can't blame the defensive injuries when we're not scoring goals" shows a pretty large lack of understanding the way we've played over the last 3 years whilst also ignoring the fact that just a month or so ago our preferred CB pairing was our two best midfielders, who got shifted there because of said defensive injuries. The entire spine of the side has been ripped out essentially except for Allison, Gini, and the front 3. Robbo and Trent aren't hurt but one is dead tired and Trent's probably had his worst season since becoming a mainstay. He's also always been a bit on the suspect side defensively but that's not been an issue when Hendo, Fab, and a premiership caliber CB are all around to cover for him. I'm not sure there's a team out there besides City, PSG, and maybe Bayern who could deal with such a ridiculous injury crisis and still hope to compete over the course of a league season, and I'm not sure PSG even counts as the french league is trash.

It's one thing to have a moan and suggest we try different things, expressing opinions is the point of having a discussion so that's fair enough. It's another thing entirely to give into the media bullshit and start insinuating Klopp is on the hot seat or has lost the dressing room.

The fact that professional pundits and journos are also largely ignoring the giant fucking elephant in the room now is another story entirely but not surprising. The vast majority of them are loving kicking us whilst we're down and it gives some of them the opportunity to come out with a "this is who Liverpool should buy" or "How I would fix Liverpool's problems" story. Nevermind that if they were competent enough to fix our problems they wouldn't be sitting in a fucking chair on the tele or writing stories for their respective websites either.

Of course everyone knows our centre backs are the main problem and are preventing us from playing how we usually play. But we also shouldn't be losing so many matches and by the way, Nat Phillips has actually been one of our best players recently. It's just become an easy scapegoat. This is a historically bad run. People rightfully expect we'd have a solution, but we don't, so people start looking for other stuff to blame because it really shouldn't be this bad. 

I just think this season has been a perfect clusterfuck of a season. The players battled through it initially but shit just kept happening. The empty stadiums affect all teams but there's no denying it affects some teams more and some teams less. When the going got tough, they've missed us being there.

The team was actually coping reasonably well, and then the injuries kept piling up. Not only were key players getting injured, even the back up players were getting in on the act. A couple other people have said it on here, and I agree that the final breaking point was when Matip got injured vs West Brom.

In addition to the injuries, some of our players also caught covid. And then the shit decisions by the refs and VAR kept happening too. Currently, I see a team of players who look physically and mentally shattered. Yes, Klopp should be doing better to motivate them or find solutions.

Then you remember, he lost his mother early in the year and now he looks like he needs a big hug every day. Consideirng all those factors, they all deserve a pass for this season, imho. Let's re-evaluate next season when things are hopefully more normal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, No2 said:

Get Fabinho back in midfield, protect our shit defense by winning balls higher up the pitch and attacking sharper, we had a 10 minute glimpse on Sunday and it looked instantly better. As shit as the injuries have been we can still field 8  of last years main 11 in their preferred positions and have Thiago in midfield instead of Hendo for a few weeks. 

Thats my take, Fab in midfield unless we have Hendo back, then it's acceptable but not preferred. 

I would be happy with Fabinho, Gini, Jones/Milner/Thiago and if things actually go well in a game manage the minutes of fabinho and gini by trying to take them off at the 60 min mark. 

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

no-one gets a pass for the season, unfortunately.  We need to see improvement in the short term.  What we're seeing right now is not acceptable.  

I dunno. Just seems as if some of us have become very spoilt and are ignoring context. The mitigating factors have been unreal.

If someone came to me 3 years ago offering that Liverpool would be CL champions in 2019 and then PL champions in 2020 (with a world club cup thrown in the mix), but then go on to have a completely shit 2021 season, I would have signed up for that right away. I reckon all of us would have taken that offer.

Yes, it's not fun being shit. And yes, the results should improve, but given the trophies and records they broke over the past 3 years, I am well able and willing to see the bigger picture.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I dunno. Just seems as if some of us have become very spoilt and are ignoring context. The mitigating factors have been unreal.

If someone came to me 3 years ago offering that Liverpool would be CL champions in 2019 and then PL champions in 2020 (with a world club cup thrown in the mix), but then go on to have a completely shit 2021 season, I would have signed up for that right away. I reckon all of us would have taken that offer.

Yes, it's not fun being shit. And yes, the results should improve, but given the trophies and records they broke over the past 3 years, I am well able and willing to see the bigger picture.

Me too - however, the current form would not be acceptable to any manager in the premier league.  Despite common belief, I was not around when we got relegated last time, but I have been around for a long time, and in that time we have never had such a wretched run, not just in terms of results, but in terms of complete impotence on the pitch.  We all know what has happened this year.  It's still unacceptable, and Klopp (or his backroom staff if he needs to step away for a while) need to sort it out quickly.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

in this context, your bigger picture seems to be historical though. of course everyone would have taken those wins you mention as prior to that, we had won 1 league cup under this ownership (in fact i think it is 1 league cup under both american owners). but the whole point of any sport is you look forward not back. once you've won something, you should be looking how you go on to win the next thing. it isn't spoilt at all, it is just the life of a sports fan. in fact it is the life of sport in general. listen to any ex-liverpool player from our glory days, it's done as soon as it's over and you start on the next one. it's the same with any sport, Olympic athletes win gold and start planning right away how to do it in 4 years time. 

I am not really sure what your bigger picture is in this scenario - we should accept mediocrity if it was alright last season? 

4 hours ago, JustTosh said:

It's bizarre:

Fact 1:

Our last 8 home games: 0-2-6, 2 points. 2 goals scored. It's way behind what relegation teams get.

Fact 2:

Top scorer in the PL is: A Liverpool player!

There's no distrubution of goals at all which is the big problem. Only Salah and Jota (when he's been fit) have scored regularly. The narrow wins became draws and narrow defeats when Jota got injured and we became completely dependent on Salah.

Every combination of our entire midfield has 3 league goals between them and the last centre half to score at a set piece was Van Dijk in the first game against Leeds.

We rarely shoot from distance, we have no physical presence in the box at any time and our midfielders hold back and don't make late runs in. It doesn't make for a prolific team especially when you add two hugely under-performing forwards.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

in this context, your bigger picture seems to be historical though. of course everyone would have taken those wins you mention as prior to that, we had won 1 league cup under this ownership (in fact i think it is 1 league cup under both american owners). but the whole point of any sport is you look forward not back. once you've won something, you should be looking how you go on to win the next thing. it isn't spoilt at all, it is just the life of a sports fan. in fact it is the life of sport in general. listen to any ex-liverpool player from our glory days, it's done as soon as it's over and you start on the next one. it's the same with any sport, Olympic athletes win gold and start planning right away how to do it in 4 years time. 

I am not really sure what your bigger picture is in this scenario - we should accept mediocrity if it was alright last season? 

Ronnie Moran had it right.

"There are your medals, pre season starts in a few weeks"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

...the whole point of any sport is you look forward not back.

I think that is a narrow view port. It's definitely not the "whole point".

Celebrate the past. Enjoy the present. Look forward to the future.

To be enjoyed, the present needs some work. Klopp's not exempt from criticism, but of all the managers in the world I trust him to sort this above anyone else.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I've been saying this for weeks, yes not good but what we've witnessed in the previous 3 seasons has been absolutely incredible. I will take this season with those fantastic memories. 

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

I think that is a narrow view port. It's definitely not the "whole point".

Celebrate the past. Enjoy the present. Look forward to the future.

To be enjoyed, the present needs some work. Klopp's not exempt from criticism, but of all the managers in the world I trust him to sort this above anyone else.

I'm certainly not saying I don't trust klopp. But this idea we just shrug our shoulders regardless of result because last season was good is nonsense. The performances the team have put in in 2021have been completely unacceptable in any context. It wasn't this bad under hodgson, just think about that. They need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and fucking sort it out quickly. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We're gonna do the whole "you want Klopp sacked if you're the least bit critical" black or white thing for the next 6 months, aren't we? 

Hope so. It'll be fantastic for the forum. 

Wonder if anyone will write a poem about him.