You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RB Leipzig (H) Champions League - 10/3/21

Bjornebye

Felt better with a midfield that just won more ball, gave us a platform to play from and actually looked forward a bit more too in terms of moving ball.

I would temper that though by saying the space behind that we found and had to run into and play ball into would not be there as we have seen week after week if we were playing Burnley et al in league at Anfield tonight.....could easily se everything in front of a massed defence again and us clueless in how to break down.

As we all know styles make fights and these were made for us....high line, pushing on, leaving gaps.

It is a big step in right direction though - hopefully give us some confidence for when we inevitably face massed defence at home again.

There is a reason our only wins in months have come in away games during our lousy run.

Overall though have to be happy with tonight, something resembling a functioning midfield again, better tempo, winning ball in middle of park more (Fabinho was immense) and of course in quarter finals.

High defensive line with current players in it still scares the shite out of me thinking about it versus Mbappe et al - but for now fuck that...we won and it feels good.

On we go.

• Upvote 1

A much more assured home display and result than we've had in the league this year!

We could have put the tie to bed in the first half but for a lack of precision and some poor decision making in great positions. Diogol was a tad unlucky with a header from a corner, but his other efforts were either straight at the keeper or fired badly wide. Mo hit one right at the keeper when Thiago played him in behind the Leipzig back line. Sadio got himself into a right mess on the follow-up. Trent should have Carlos Alberto'd the ball instead of taking a touch a trying to pick out Mo in a crowded area.

Second half, we remedied that with two very well-taken goals. No relying on defensive errors tomake breakthroughs, just some crisp link-up play allied to good movement and a desire to get into goalscoring positions. If we can do that (and we KNOW we can), we will score goals and win games. Div made a telling contribution and just looked more switched on.

Defensively we were very good too. Nat was no-nonsense and Kabak was calm and assured. Having Fab ahead of them in his best position and doing what he does best makes such a huge difference to the team. He cuts out so much stuff before it even arrives in a dangerous position so we can re-adjust in positions that can get us at the opposition again quickly and dangerously.

I thought Klopp might look to get Davies on for his debut with the game won, but no, he stayed pragmatic.

Watching Upamecano, he looks like a quicker version of Mama Sakho. Athletically he is impressive and has the pace to close down spaces, but he has an erraticness to his game that reminds me of the former Reds centre back. He also gave away a goal by losing the ball to Diogol inside his own six yard box, and it was touch and go as to whether he'd squander possession with a slack pass out from the back.

We're in the quarters, and that was the minimum objective from this tie. Let's get our shit together in the league and start resembling the team we were last season. We can still be a great team if we get some momentum, and get a top 4 place. No reason why we shouldn't look to do that as well as looking to maintain progress in the CL. That's what winners do.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, gap30 said:

Great stuff tonight thought Nat Philips and Kabak had a great game and Fabinho & Thiago solid in midfield

Is German football shit or did we play well?

We played well. We had two centre backs and something like our first-choice midfield plus Jota up and running. Also, the referee wasn't an appalling shitcunt.

• Upvote 1

Just realised that Salah and mane scored against them last time and both into the same side of the goals with the same feet. Pretty sure twas the same ball and ball boys too. I don't know where I'm going with this. Just a bit giddy about doing some goals from open play.

Michael Owen saying German and Spanish football are poor and that the Italian league has got stronger. I missed the part where Bayern won every available trophy the last 12 months and Juventus have been knocked out by less glamorous opponents the last three seasons and that Atalanta will probably get knocked out by Real Madrid. 

54 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Michael Owen saying German and Spanish football are poor and that the Italian league has got stronger. I missed the part where Bayern won every available trophy the last 12 months and Juventus have been knocked out by less glamorous opponents the last three seasons and that Atalanta will probably get knocked out by Real Madrid. 

He knows his shit does Mick.

3 hours ago, an tha said:

Felt better with a midfield that just won more ball, gave us a platform to play from and actually looked forward a bit more too in terms of moving ball.

I would temper that though by saying the space behind that we found and had to run into and play ball into would not be there as we have seen week after week if we were playing Burnley et al in league at Anfield tonight.....could easily se everything in front of a massed defence again and us clueless in how to break down.

As we all know styles make fights and these were made for us....high line, pushing on, leaving gaps.

It is a big step in right direction though - hopefully give us some confidence for when we inevitably face massed defence at home again.

There is a reason our only wins in months have come in away games during our lousy run.

Overall though have to be happy with tonight, something resembling a functioning midfield again, better tempo, winning ball in middle of park more (Fabinho was immense) and of course in quarter finals.

High defensive line with current players in it still scares the shite out of me thinking about it versus Mbappe et al - but for now fuck that...we won and it feels good.

On we go.

Great summary. Seeing us have control of the ball and looking dangerous in possession was a beautiful thing. 

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

A fantastic shout the night after the Italian champions have been knocked out by someone from a pub league. 

5 hours ago, Halcyon Days said:

Phillips > Upamecano

Reminds me of Ivanovic for Chelsea would go through a brick wall for the team. Waiting for the time we get a breakaway from one of his clearing headers and the big man is credited with an assist . I sense a cult figure emerging along lines of Eric Meijer .

2 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Reminds me of Ivanovic for Chelsea would go through a brick wall for the team. Waiting for the time we get a breakaway from one of his clearing headers and the big man is credited with an assist . I sense a cult figure emerging along lines of Eric Meijer .

Definitely, has all the attributes of a cult player. That granite heads definitely scoring from a corner this season I’d put money on it, just a shame he’s not getting the buzz a full Anfield or vociferous away crowd would give him.