You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham (H) PL - Sun 7th Mar 2021 at 14:00

The last time we played this lot at home was in November 2018. They were in the process of going through manager after manager (Jokanovic to Ranieri to Cap'n Scott 'Scotty' Parker) and got relegated at the end of that season. It was a routine 2-0 win for us, with Mo and Shaq getting the goals.

In December 2006, Fulham came to Anfield and got spanked 4-0 as we turned the screw after a goalless first half. Stevie opened the scoring, converting the rebound after seeing his penalty saved, and Lil Luis got a goal with a cracking header. So far so normal. What wasn't normal was the lesser-spotted Mark Gonzalez finding the net with a sweetly taken free kick late on. Even more abnormal was the fact that even Carra got on the scoresheet. At the right end. He slid in to convert at the far post after a flick-on from a corner. At the time, our away form in the league was much like our current home form with a chronic lack of goals, points and performances, but we were getting results at Anfield to keep us in with a shout of making the top 4 again. We were also getting results in Europe and would reach the final again, where a more pro-active approach might well have paid off for us.

Take That had reformed (initially minus Robbie Williams) and went to the top of the charts again in December 2006 with 'Patience'. They probably (I can't say for sure as back then I hardly ever listened to the radio unless it was 5 Live) had as much airplay and media coverage as in their 1990s heyday but they bothered me a LOT less a decade later. I fucking hated them and the tripe that followed them in the 90s. I think 'Patience' is a more than decent song though. The song spent 4 weeks at the top.

We need a little patience to overcome our current malaise, but the games are running out thick and fast and we are in real danger of being cast adrift from the top 4 and being stranded in the hinterland usually filled by the likes of Arsenal and Everton. Ever since that West Brom debacle, our home form has been relegation material. Quite a turnaround after going about 4 years without defeat and practically winning every game for the last 2 stellar seasons. Something is badly off about us, and things like being decimated at centre back, playing square pegs in round holes, the weekly shitshow from the officials, and not having a vociferous home crowd to feed off can only partially explain it away.

It's a mental fatigue that has crept in and has taken away any edge we might normally expect to have against teams fighting down at the bottom. Whatever it is, it needs resolving fast. The first thing I would do is play 2 out-and-out centre backs at centre back, and Fabinho at the base of the midfield. If we need to tweak in midfield, I'd play him in a tandem alongside Thiago and go 4-2-3-1. It's a system that makes different demands of our players but maybe that is what they need to find a spark. Find that spark and we can begin to think about getting back on track and back for good.

• Upvote 3

I think this is where we start seeing a bit of experimentation from Klopp, he's notoriously slow to react to games by bringing on subs too late etc, he's probably the same way with seasons in general doubling down on plan A instead of moving to plan B. 

The rot set in a couple of months ago against the shit teams, and he just thought we'd play ourselves back into some form. Then we had a run of big games where he probably thought it was too much of a risk to change anything against the likes of the mancs and Chelsea so played it safe hoping we wouldn't get fucked.

Hopefully now he thinks fuck it, throw on our best two CBs, get Fabinho back up the pitch, break up the middle three we've currently been using because they don't compliment each other at all.

Hopefully he drops one of the other front 2 for Jota, and Salah is suitably pissed off about being subbed vs chelsea and scores a hatrick as revenge.

From now til the end of the season we only play one team that's currently above us in the league that's the red mancs, 11 games left and 8 of them are in the bottom half of the table. 

Time for some Billy Big Bollocks tactics to put a run together and get us over the line. 

• Upvote 1

If its the same side we've been plodding along with I'll be livid. Play two centrebacks if they're fit, for fuck sake they're professional footballers the club has brought in themselves they should be able to play a game of football. It's not like we have brought in a cricketer as a last resort.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If its the same side we've been plodding along with I'll be livid. Play two centrebacks if they're fit, for fuck sake they're professional footballers the club has brought in themselves they should be able to play a game of football. It's not like we have brought in a cricketer as a last resort.

We could do with one to help us bowl sides over.

*Inserts Thomas Muller  gif *

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

I think this is where we start seeing a bit of experimentation from Klopp, he's notoriously slow to react to games by bringing on subs too late etc, he's probably the same way with seasons in general doubling down on plan A instead of moving to plan B. 

The rot set in a couple of months ago against the shit teams, and he just thought we'd play ourselves back into some form. Then we had a run of big games where he probably thought it was too much of a risk to change anything against the likes of the mancs and Chelsea so played it safe hoping we wouldn't get fucked.

Hopefully now he thinks fuck it, throw on our best two CBs, get Fabinho back up the pitch, break up the middle three we've currently been using because they don't compliment each other at all.

Hopefully he drops one of the other front 2 for Jota, and Salah is suitably pissed off about being subbed vs chelsea and scores a hatrick as revenge.

From now til the end of the season we only play one team that's currently above us in the league that's the red mancs, 11 games left and 8 of them are in the bottom half of the table. 

Time for some Billy Big Bollocks tactics to put a run together and get us over the line. 

Bring out the BRodge 3-4-2-1 with Mane at wingback. 

Phillips and Davies needs to be the choice for sunday.

Gets Fabinho back in midfield.

If he's not going to trust playing Davies against Fulham at home with no fans I doubt he'll ever actually play a first team game for us.