You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool to become a free port

Section_31

What do people make of the announcement yesterday that the city region is to become a free port with supposedly different tax rules to attract business?

I've thought for years that the council should have been subsidising areas in the city to attract startups and tech companies, rather than depend on the student and stag do pound.

It'll be interesting to see what the knock on impact is though, if it starts attracting masses of cockneys for instance are we going to see a city that looks like Manchester, with loads of "investors" and flashy but ultimately pointless "residential and retail opportunities" while more and more locals find themselves living on the streets.

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What the fuck is a free port 

A designated area of a town/city where companies can operate outside of standard taxation, import costs and liabilities. The companies that operate within them are exempt from usual rules within the country which allows them avoid lots of pesky tax.

So, they process their orders for other countries here to avoid multiple taxation/import costs, which save them a load of cash. The wider community gains employment, but loses business taxation and the benefits are debatable, like Bobby said liverpool had one for years and nobody noticed it. In most cases existing companies just locate here for strategic tax avoidance/write downs.

Essentially a massive tax avoidance scheme to pay as little as humanly possible to operate the business internationally, but don't worry there's a miniscule trickle down in the communities these are dropped.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A designated area of a town/city where companies can operate outside of standard taxation, import costs and liabilities. The companies that operate within them are exempt from usual rules within the country which allows them avoid lots of pesky tax.

So, they process their orders for other countries here to avoid multiple taxation/import costs, which save them a load of cash. The wider community gains employment, but loses business taxation and the benefits are debatable, like Bobby said liverpool had one for years and nobody noticed it. In most cases existing companies just locate here for strategic tax avoidance/write downs.

Essentially a massive tax avoidance scheme to pay as little as humanly possible to operate the business, but don't worry there's a miniscule trickle down in the communities these are dropped.

Thanks mate.

Twats. 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I got on a bus for the first time in fucking years the other day and all the seats had USB ports!

What the fuck, when did this happen?

Must have been one of those Universal Serial Buses.

• Upvote 18

52 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I got on a bus for the first time in fucking years the other day and all the seats had USB ports!

What the fuck, when did this happen?

I got freaked out when I got one a while back and it's the same price to everywhere. "How much to town?" £3.50 (or whatever) "How much to down the road?" £3.50. The fuck. 

I bought some bloke a packet of fags too because he was having a panic attack, asked the woman for a packet of 10 and she started laughing at me, they only do 20 apparently and it cost me about eight grand. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Essentially a massive tax avoidance scheme to pay as little as humanly possible to operate the business internationally, but don't worry there's a miniscule trickle down in the communities these are dropped.

Oh joy to become a tax haven. Its basically taking the piss out of the city and inhabitants as it embodies almost everything a good majority are against. I'm sure there'll be the finest hospitals and schools popping up in no time.

20 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Oh joy to become a tax haven. Its basically taking the piss out of the city and inhabitants as it embodies almost everything a good majority are against. I'm sure there'll be the finest hospitals and schools popping up in no time.

It should create jobs and bring investment, but again that's debatable, it will bring some jobs and there will be short term infastructure building, but longer term you think about who is using them and for what and you get an idea of how they'll be treating the local area. You also need to consider who will lose jobs because of these ports due to undercutting it allows on a local/national scale.

It should create stimulation of local economies and supply chains, but again at what cost. Short term maybe, but long term debatable as once the infastructure is in place they become largly self sufficient, self governed and self contained.

They are what they are miniature, short sighted tax havens.

If I can avoid all taxes and tarrifs on my goods, or pay far far less than others I will be able to selll my goods at a reduced rate and undercut/put out of business the competition and raise my profits which I won't need to be taxed on as I am registered elsewhere, these allow, legally, the opportunity to do that whilst avoiding tax and regulations in the country of operation/country exported to, which they are then leagally allowed to move goods through for sale.

Here’s the corporate love in:

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/budget-2021-freeport-status-for-liverpool/

Here is the local opposition.

https://www.saverimrosevalley.org/

Sefton have commissioned a preliminary report into a high tech solution to the growing port’s infrastructure, but LCR seem all for it, despite mouthing platitudes over workers’ rights etc. 

Peel are on record as saying once it’s off the dock estate “it’s not their problem”. 

This is all tied in with the Northern Powerhouse, stuff going on in Warrington. 

To be honest,  I wouldn’t mind as much of what was promised for Liverpool and Wirral Waters had materialised, but without high paying jobs who could afford to live in riverside skycrapers in Liverpool and Birkenhead? 

And I wouldn’t mind what’s going on at Bramley Moore if it was accompanied with the necessary transport infrastructure to rejuvenate the area, same with the new station by the brewery. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Peerage to Brezhnev.

Funnily enough watched Letter to Brezhnev the other week.

Fuck me it's terrible. And what is more shocking, Margi Clarke was considered an actress.

Alfred Molina as Sergei is the best part of the film. And he says about 4 words in it. He must have been pissing himself at getting paid for that.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Makes you wonder if it what was agreed by Anderson and Rotherham as part of the mass covid testing project the city did.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Makes you wonder if it what was agreed by Anderson and Rotherham as part of the mass covid testing project the city did.

"Keep the Lobster Pot open"

"It's important we get this mass testing done safely and effiicien..."

"Yeah yeah just.. just keep the Lobster Pot open" 

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yep. It’s the Toriest thing ever. 

5 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Funnily enough watched Letter to Brezhnev the other week.

Fuck me it's terrible. And what is more shocking, Margi Clarke was considered an actress.

Alfred Molina as Sergei is the best part of the film. And he says about 4 words in it. He must have been pissing himself at getting paid for that.

Don't watch Blonde Fist. Apart from being a really misleading title, it's another fucking terrible Margi Clarke performance.