You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Champions League qualification is vitally important

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has spoken about the financial importance of qualifying for the Champions League next season.

This time last year, the Reds were on the cusp of claiming their first league title in 30 years as they left all their main rivals in their wake.

This season for many different reasons which have been been regularly documented, it has been a much more difficult campaign.

Due to these circumstances, rather than repeating the title success, clinching a top four berth has been become a main objective for Jurgen Klopp and his side this season.

Liverpool face a major test of those credentials this evening when they face Chelsea who are also in the top four race after overcoming a sluggish start to their season.

And with Man United and Leicester faltering in recent games, this clash has grown in its importance. That is, indeed, a tight situation, so everybody in the UK that is eager to place a bet should monitor the situation carefully.

Klopp outlined his thoughts of where his team is currently placed per the Mirror.

“We all understand this situation - that’s it pretty much.

“It's not that the owners called me and said 'if you don't qualify for the Champions League then this or that will happen', because we are all in this situation together, we all understand.

“The main reason for qualifying for the Champions League was always for financial reasons. For the club it’s about- about finances and this year is no different. Of course it will be very important absolutely.

“But that it is so important cannot change things. I hope people still see that we do our absolute best and try absolutely everything to make it happen.”

Klopp says it is only natural that top players want to play in the elite club competition and his main goal when he arrived in England was to get Liverpool a seat at the top table again.

Jurgen.Klopp-711.jpg

“You want to excite players to join you...at the beginning (when I arrived at Liverpool) it wasn’t like this.

“I'm sitting here and players (I was talking to) have offers from clubs who were playing in the Champions League and it was like, 'ok, sorry we can only offer nothing or the Europa League."

In terms of league form, the first couple of months in 2021 can only be described as dismal.

It seemed everything that could go wrong did so, however a little bit of blue sky is starting to peep through from the storm clouds and an opportunity now presents itself.

“I think a week ago we were out, now we are around again so for us the challenge and the job is clear.

“We have to win games, as many as possible, to make it in the top four. Since I was in England, first year we had no chance, then two years later we had a fight with Chelsea to get to the Champions League.

“But there are other teams; our neighbours, Tottenham, West Ham, Leicester, and maybe United not really involved any more.

"City is already gone. For the neutrals exciting, for the Liverpool fans exciting, maybe not as we want, but we will give it a proper try.”

View full article

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think we've made it too hard for ourselves now, there's no way we will be consistent enough ourselves to overcome the inconsistencies of the other sides. If we'd of had players back just a couple of weeks ago then maybe.

Depends on tonight. 

If we win the next two then we have a great chance, there's a chance for runners up as by the end of the weekend we could be 2pts behind the mancs as they play City. 

Lose tonight though and it's a really tough ask

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think we've made it too hard for ourselves now, there's no way we will be consistent enough ourselves to overcome the inconsistencies of the other sides. If we'd of had players back just a couple of weeks ago then maybe.

There's plenty of games to go, it's not a normal march because of the late start. I don't think it's all lost. Tonight is pretty crucial though. 

And of course there's a path through Istanbul. 

If fans were in grounds I could see us beating the big teams left in the champions league over the two legs but no first choice defenders, no Henderson plus no fans I think its too big an ask. I see city winning it this year its amazing what having two first 11s can do for club in a hectic season. For me city's badge should be an asterix.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If fans were in grounds I could see us beating the big teams left in the champions league over the two legs but no first choice defenders, no Henderson plus no fans I think its too big an ask. I see city winning it this year its amazing what having two first 11s can do for club in a hectic season. For me city's badge should be an asterix.

A lot depends on the draw though. We can get through this round as we're in the driving seat and say have Chelsea in the last 8 and Madrid in the semis and while they're big draws on paper, I wouldn't be worried about either. The semis aren't until the end of April/start of may. We could have Henderson back and even an outside chance of vvd. 

A final? Anything can happen in Istanbul (and maybe in front of fans?) And who'd know who would be left from the other side of the draw. 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Would not fancy Bayern with our defence as it is . 

The only time we’d stand a chance against Bayern at the moment would be in a one off final where anything could happen. Then again we’ve been shit in all our recent cup finals, even the one we won so I’d imagine Bayern would fancy it a bit too. 

As for the league I expect West Ham and Leicester to lose ground. Rodgers has late season crumble written in to his DNA, so much so that I think he’ll jump ship to Arsenal sooner or later. The rest is on us.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

And of course there's a path through Istanbul. 

What's more important....

Winning this year's European Cup... or qualifying for next year's European Cup by winning this year's European Cup.

The shitness of modern football?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Tonight will tell us a lot about where we are heading.

Getting twatted by these will pretty much kill us for top 4....twatting them will reignite hope and give us some much needed confidence.

Not even arsed about twatting them, I'd happily take us getting an unjust one nil win at the moment.

• Upvote 1

I’m pretty fucking sad about this entire situation.

Go back 4 years - beating Boro at home felt like a massive deal and part of an upward trajectory. Remember the tension 3 years ago when we drew 2-2 with Spurs? Everything has been on an upward curve for 5 years and then in the space of a few months we’re back to square one. 

I just can’t see Mo being here next season and we’re going to have to replace Bobby too. 

it’s been a hell of a ride, but it felt like we were at the start of a dynasty. Now it feels like all that has gone, or is about to go.

I know we’ll still have some fantastic players and we’ll be in with a chance of trophies for the next few years, but we feel a long way off the top. I’m probably being over dramatic, but genuinely gutted right now.

33 points left. We can still do it. If you'd said to me after the Chelsea away game at the start of the season I'd be saying that about top 4 I'd have genuinely thought you were The Drowning Man but here we are. 

Doesn't matter anyway, 7 is doable. European Cups that is not points out of 33, I'm not that optimistic. 

We’ve lost 5/6 of our last games, there are 11 games left of the season. 

If the fuckin’ bitters win their next game they are 6 points ahead.

We’re not getting into the top four, we’re not suddenly going to start grinding out results consistently as we haven’t done that in recent months.

Klopp needs to seriously come up with a plan B and soon

It looks highly unlikely now.

How we react as a club should we miss out is gonna define where we go over next few years.

Act like a big club on a temporary one season absence and still invest and go after top players and we'll be sound.

Act like we are skint, and like a UEFA cup club, shopping for players the level down and on cheap and we'll become exactly that....a UEFA cup club the level below the top sides.

17 hours ago, Juniper said:

We’ve lost 5/6 of our last games, there are 11 games left of the season. 

If the fuckin’ bitters win their next game they are 6 points ahead.

We’re not getting into the top four, we’re not suddenly going to start grinding out results consistently as we haven’t done that in recent months.

Klopp needs to seriously come up with a plan B and soon

the problem is how do we stop losing all the time, not just go on a 10 game winning run. we keep picking up wins, but it is 1 step forward and 2 back all the time. i really don't know how we fix this now, because the players & the manager look like they don't know either. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:really don't know how we fix this now, because the players & the manager look like they don't know either. 

This exactly.

I worry that there just seems to be bemused faces everywhere, on the pitch, on the line and in interviews.

Shell shocked would apply too.