Quantcast
Ian St John - Page 3 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Ian St John

Recommended Posts

A genuine legend.

 

He was in the team when my mum started going the match. She’s now a Kop ST holder who assures me he had ‘very shapely legs’.

RIP Saint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although we won the league the year before, in no small part down this 21 goals mind, his cup final winner, considering the next 25 years of trophies, has to go down as arguably the most important goal in the history of the club. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, suzy said:

I hadn’t realised how much he still was around the club, having seen tributes today from Gerrard and Robbo.

I think he was at the match every week in some sort of working capacity. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Although we won the league the year before, in no small part down this 21 goals mind, his cup final winner, considering the next 25 years of trophies, has to go down as arguably the most important goal in the history of the club. 

Same conversation in work today. We pushed it out a bit and ended up with the three most pivotal/famous headers in our history. We had:

 

St John '65

Smith '77

Wijnaldum '19

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ozted said:

A very old one, but......

Poster outside a Liverpool church:- 'What will you do when the Lord cometh?'

Underneath some one wrote:- 'Move St John to inside forward' 

Wasnt there another one, a sign that said "Jesus Saves" followed by someone writing "but St John scores the rebound"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed those 1965 FA Cup Final highlights. But I’m a bit annoyed there wasn’t one single player with a wacky hairstyle to boost his global brand profile on social media. What a wasted opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Same conversation in work today. We pushed it out a bit and ended up with the three most pivotal/famous headers in our history. We had:

 

St John '65

Smith '77

Wijnaldum '19

Steven Gerrard in Istanbul not getting in there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Although we won the league the year before, in no small part down this 21 goals mind, his cup final winner, considering the next 25 years of trophies, has to go down as arguably the most important goal in the history of the club. 

The FA Cup was THE big game of the season back then. Because we had never won it, it was always something we got shit about, shit like "Liverpool will win the cup when the Liver Birds fly away"

I couldn't get a ticket so I had to watch it on B & W TV. Went to the Bob Dylan concert that night, not a drop of beer available in town, everywhere had been drunk dry. I have a signed glossy print of this, one of my most treasured possessions.

So long Saint, thanks for the memories. My all time hero.

Ive got something in my eyes typing this.

1965.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I have a signed glossy print of this, one of my most treasured possessions.

So long Saint, thanks for the memories. My all time hero.

Ive got something in my eyes typing this.

1965.jpg

 

 

As famous a photo as any I can remember in LFC history.

I remember as a kid looking at this photo, and wondering how on earth it was a header.

 

RIP, Saint.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shanks’ first big money (37,500) signing, he announced himself with a hattrick against The blues in a Lancashire Senior Cup game. Evertonians hated the Saint and the feeling was mutual. My dad died in October ’64 never saw us win the cup, I’ll never forget mum’s tears when Saint scored the winner at Wembley. The Saint’s passing brought it all back; The Saint, Big Ron and Willie Stevenson were the Scottish heartbeat of Shankly’s first great team. Every league winning Liverpool team has had at least one Scot. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

See what you did there and I like it.

In for a penny in for a pound.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I try to forget cunts like that even exist.

Don't we all. The only obituaries I'd be happy to see.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2021 at 13:35, ozted said:

A very old one, but......

Poster outside a Liverpool church:- 'What will you do when the Lord cometh?'

Underneath some one wrote:- 'Move St John to inside forward' 

St John was also famous for scoring the furthest goal seen at Anfield...

 

The Saint scored from Hunts cross 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Stickman said:

St John was also famous for scoring the furthest goal seen at Anfield...

 

The Saint scored from Hunts cross 

Torres from Gerrards Cross. Wand of a right foot.

Screenshot_20210303-163923_Samsung Internet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×