You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ian St John

Bjornebye

59 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Although we won the league the year before, in no small part down this 21 goals mind, his cup final winner, considering the next 25 years of trophies, has to go down as arguably the most important goal in the history of the club. 

Same conversation in work today. We pushed it out a bit and ended up with the three most pivotal/famous headers in our history. We had:

St John '65

Smith '77

Wijnaldum '19

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ozted said:

A very old one, but......

Poster outside a Liverpool church:- 'What will you do when the Lord cometh?'

Underneath some one wrote:- 'Move St John to inside forward' 

Wasnt there another one, a sign that said "Jesus Saves" followed by someone writing "but St John scores the rebound"

9 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Although we won the league the year before, in no small part down this 21 goals mind, his cup final winner, considering the next 25 years of trophies, has to go down as arguably the most important goal in the history of the club. 

The FA Cup was THE big game of the season back then. Because we had never won it, it was always something we got shit about, shit like "Liverpool will win the cup when the Liver Birds fly away"

I couldn't get a ticket so I had to watch it on B & W TV. Went to the Bob Dylan concert that night, not a drop of beer available in town, everywhere had been drunk dry. I have a signed glossy print of this, one of my most treasured possessions.

So long Saint, thanks for the memories. My all time hero.

Ive got something in my eyes typing this.

1965.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I have a signed glossy print of this, one of my most treasured possessions.

So long Saint, thanks for the memories. My all time hero.

Ive got something in my eyes typing this.

1965.jpg

As famous a photo as any I can remember in LFC history.

I remember as a kid looking at this photo, and wondering how on earth it was a header.

RIP, Saint.

Shanks’ first big money (37,500) signing, he announced himself with a hattrick against The blues in a Lancashire Senior Cup game. Evertonians hated the Saint and the feeling was mutual. My dad died in October ’64 never saw us win the cup, I’ll never forget mum’s tears when Saint scored the winner at Wembley. The Saint’s passing brought it all back; The Saint, Big Ron and Willie Stevenson were the Scottish heartbeat of Shankly’s first great team. Every league winning Liverpool team has had at least one Scot. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/03/2021 at 13:35, ozted said:

A very old one, but......

Poster outside a Liverpool church:- 'What will you do when the Lord cometh?'

Underneath some one wrote:- 'Move St John to inside forward' 

St John was also famous for scoring the furthest goal seen at Anfield...

The Saint scored from Hunts cross 

• Upvote 1