You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ian St John

Bjornebye

Like a lot on here, I'm more familiar with him thanks to Saint & Greavsie. Football on TV was scarce back then, with live games on ITV every other week until January when the BBC would show FA Cup ties. Other than that, it was a brief football round-up on Grandstand (before they created the dedicated slot Football Focus), S&G on a Saturday and maybe a bit of football on Sportsnight in midweek. S&G mainly consisted of a round-up of First Division games, a bit of chat about international football, some slightly cringy banter between the two, and Greavsie taking the piss out of goalkeepers up in 'Jockoland'.

I entered a competition on it once. Can't remember what the main prize was (maybe match tickets or a shirt or something) but I didn't win. They did send me a Saint & Greavsie mug though. When you filled it with a hot liquid, Greavsie's catchphrase "It's a funny old game!" would appear on the side.

• Upvote 3

Not been on for a few weeks for various reasons, but had to come on when I heard the Saint had passed.

I'm genuinely gutted at this. He wasn't my favourite person at times with his jibes at Houllier early in his reign. However it can't be denied that he was a good man and a great player!

My old fella was at Wembley in 65, and loved the Saint for that winner against Leeds!

Listening to him over the years you always knew he was a red but most of all his love for the game never waned!

RIP Saint.

• Upvote 4

An old mate just text me saying about when we where kids we all wanted to be him, bagsy St John though it was OK to take the roll of Sir Roger. 

Sadly for those of us of a  certain age its just that time of day as our boyhood heroes pass away as quite a few have over the past few years. 

2 hours ago, John102 said:

He is with 'The Frenchman' now.

Almost posted something similar, but I thought better of it.

Sadly for those of us of a certain age, his remarkable achievements with and for the club will be viewed through the prism of his bitterness about a number of issues, mainly the way that Shankly mishandled his departure (ironically that foreshadowed the way the club subsequently mishandled Shankly’s own departure and aftermath). 

But fans my dad’s age will always tell you what a great player he was and how he was absolutely fundamental to our success and dynasty building. 

We should be able to mark his passing in person with those claps and that chant. 

RIP Saint.

He was one of the reasons I started supporting The Reds in 64 and the 65 Final goal had me running round our front room like a lunatic. Some idiot on Pathe news called him Sin Jun, twat

I remember he was in the BBC competition to find a new football commentator and lost to some Welsh bloke who did a few MOTD's and faded into obscurity. Saint went on to a rewarding career with ITV.

Always gave his all to the team and one of the few we've had with a real will to win.

Thanks Saint!

RIP YNWA

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

An old mate just text me saying about when we where kids we all wanted to be him, bagsy St John though it was OK to take the roll of Sir Roger. 

Sadly for those of us of a  certain age its just that time of day as our boyhood heroes pass away as quite a few have over the past few years. 

Amen to that memory fella.

Did the same myself.

The diving header is such an iconic goal in the first cup final I ever watched.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ozted said:

A very old one, but......

Poster outside a Liverpool church:- 'What will you do when the Lord cometh?'

Underneath some one wrote:- 'Move St John to inside forward' 

I remember my dad telling me about that when I was a kid.

Elite level lurking by the way.

27 minutes ago, ozted said:

A very old one, but......

Poster outside a Liverpool church:- 'What will you do when the Lord cometh?'

Underneath some one wrote:- 'Move St John to inside forward' 

Uses to walk up past that church from Bank Hall station. Every time I went past with my Dad he would tell me that story. Used to just roll my eyes as he told it even when I told him he'd told us a million times. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Yes it was, loved the whole team but as a kid one had to be a goalscorer when having a game. 

Ha ha, no goalie, touch black.

Wouldn't be able to say it now even though it meant you just touched your dubined Gola boots! Second hand of course. 

• Upvote 1