You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our CB situation.

Code

46 minutes ago, Trumo said:

image.png

As you can see, Fab has been our most reliable player at centre back. Defensively we've been much better with him back there alongside an actual centre back. The two-centre-backs figures are skewed by the anomaly that is the Villa 7-2 game where everything Villa did around our penalty area resulted in a goal. There were at least 2 deflected goals for them in that game. Our attacking numbers dropped off badly with Hendo at the back, who was mostly only played there because Fab was missing. With two centre backs, our midfield shape looks better and links better with our attack because we can play with more tempo and intensity. When we can do that, we pin teams back, make them fret and force mistakes. Looking more like our usual selves gets results. Who knew!

I think yesterday might have been our first Fabless clean sheet.

Klopp has a system, the players fit the system. It also explains why he said that Kabak and Davies wouldn’t be playing immediately upon signing. They gotta learn.

Nothing wrong with rotation, but, granted, injuries make rotation a bit out of the ordinary.

16 minutes ago, dave u said:

This is great, it's the most Code thing ever that he's put together a spreadsheet on this. I love it.

Nothing about our centre back situation this season has made me smile, until now.

Even funnier when you know his female secretary is now being nailed by the Deputy Mayor.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dave u said:

This is great, it's the most Code thing ever that he's put together a spreadsheet on this. I love it.

Nothing about our centre back situation this season has made me smile, until now.

Haha I’ll even keep it updated.

My guess is that we will reach at least 20 different pairings this season. 

• Upvote 2

So we average 2.0 pts per game when the 2 CBs are a combination of VVD/Matip/Gomez/Fabinho.

Still not at the standard of the past 2 seasons but we would be 2nd and safe for a top 4 position if it was a nightmare season and 2 of our CBs were injured for the year.

Having the 1st 5 choice CBs unavailable has made it a fucking disaster. 

Defence is everything. 

It's why City have gone on their run.  Fuck all to do with De Bruyne or Silva. 

My concern is Van Dijk and Gomez still not being fit in August. It's not unreasonable to think they will struggle to get fit and stay fit, especially as every grock team in the division will want to test their knees with some horrendous challenges.  

We need to plan for life without them.  We actually need to sell Gomez before he breaks down again. We could net £40m for him of we are cute about it.   

Get in Ben White and Tarkowski. Play the numbers. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Defence is everything. 

It's why City have gone on their run.  Fuck all to do with De Bruyne or Silva. 

My concern is Van Dijk and Gomez still not being fit in August. It's not unreasonable to think they will struggle to get fit and stay fit, especially as every grock team in the division will want to test their knees with some horrendous challenges.  

We need to plan for life without them.  We actually need to sell Gomez before he breaks down again. We could net £40m for him of we are cute about it.   

Get in Ben White and Tarkowski. Play the numbers. 

I'm not sure if you are serious here but we wont be buying British centre halves unless they are on a free or have a large re-sale value. We only bought Davies for re-sale value and our other British CBs were already at the club. You do make a fair point about Gomez and VVD staying fit though,especially Gomez.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm not sure if you are serious here but we wont be buying British centre halves unless they are on a free or have a large re-sale value. We only bought Davies for re-sale value and our other British CBs were already at the club. You do make a fair point about Gomez and VVD staying fit though,especially Gomez.

I think both would be value signings and PL-ready. 

On 01/03/2021 at 14:51, Code said:

Everyone know we have struggled big time at CB this season, but its difficult to fully understand it before you see it infront of you.

I’ve put together a spreadsheet just to show how bad its been in all its glory.

We started the season with three CB’s and Fabinho was going to be our 4th choice.

Our best CB pairing, Van Dijk - Matip, have just played together once all season, away to the bitters when Van Dijk got his injury.

Van Dijk - Matip 1 game together

Van Dijk - Gomez 3 games together 

Matip - Gomez 1 game together.

Just twice have we seen three games in a row with the same CB pair.

Gomez and Fabinho against Ajax, Sheff Utd and FC Midtjylland, and Henderson and Kabak against Leicester, RB Leipzig and Everton.

These numbers are truly shocking when we actually look into it, on top of that we have had to change our goalkeeper more than normal as well because of injuries and other circumstances. 

Our most used player at CB this season is a midfielder.

Fabinho 21 games

Matip 11 games

Gomez 10 games

But the worst stat of all, is the fact we have started with 17 different CB pairings in 38 games so far this season. As if that was not bad enough, there will probably be more. 

8FC214A2-34A2-41E3-871D-773B83E73A99.jpeg

So to sum up, we miss Van Dijk? To be fair someone who makes a spread sheet about how many games a defender plays is most definitely a proper fan, I think it’s reasonable to assume.
This from someone who’s currently watching Barnsley v Liverpool in the FA Cup in full from 1985 on YouTube at 1am.
Actually that just makes me sad doesn’t it?

• Upvote 1