You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sheffield United 0 Liverpool 2 (Feb 28 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Yeah I’ll take that all day. When I saw our line up before kick off I’d have snatched your hand off for any kind of win. The performance didn’t matter too much, we just needed the points. As it turned out we got both. 

It’s funny because prior to the game I was getting wound right up by Souness and especially Keane. It felt like Keane was setting it up to go off on one if we lost. He was talking like there is absolutely no way we should be losing the game and there was no context applied to anything he was saying. Lack of confidence due to four defeats on the spin, half a team out injured, ill or in bereavement.

We had a makeshift centre back pairing, we had our third choice keeper in goal and even our midfield was missing two of the three first choice players. 

Yet Keane is giving it the “stop making excuses about injuries, you’re Liverpool Football Club. Sheffield United have lost twenty games this season. Just go out and dominate them”. It pissed me right off, especially as he seemed to have forgotten that the Blades recently beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. 

As it turns out though it panned out exactly the way Keane said it should do and by the end of the game I was thinking “yeah losing to them really shouldn’t have been a concern at all”.

We dominated. We created far more chances than they did and in the end the win was comfortable. It was a good performance blighted only by some erratic finishing. You’re not going to convert every chance you create but we should be converting more than we did here, and more than we do in general. It turned out fine though because we converted one and we got a rare stroke of good fortune on the other.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Surely it's still H****y? Or has time healed old wounds? 

Great report again. Like you season's been written off and any defeats are a shrug of the shoulders and move onto something else. Hell I didn't even watch last night. Watched Karate Kid Part III instead and waited for the dreaded buzz on my phone to say we'd conceded.  Thankfully any buzz was welcomed which given the last few weeks made for a refreshing change. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Surely it's still H****y? Or has time healed old wounds? 

Great report again. Like you season's been written off and any defeats are a shrug of the shoulders and move onto something else. Hell I didn't even watch last night. Watched Karate Kid Part III instead and waited for the dreaded buzz on my phone to say we'd conceded.  Thankfully any buzz was welcomed which given the last few weeks made for a refreshing change. 

If I got hit by a bus 10 minutes before the Reds kicked off I'd make a deal with the reaper so that I could enter hell after the final whistle. You avoided the game to watch Karate Kid 3? Karate Kid 3. 

Wow. 

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If I got hit by a bus 10 minutes before the Reds kicked off I'd make a deal with the reaper so that I could enter hell after the final whistle. You avoided the game to watch Karate Kid 3? Karate Kid 3. 

Wow. 

Well I'd already watched 1 & 2! But yeah, KK3. 

• Upvote 1

Much too early to get over excited but I thought Naby looked really good when he came on.

And Gini is an excellent player who always comes into his own in the last 15-20 mins. Quite often he will have a quietish game and then look brilliant when everyone else is tiring.

• Upvote 2

Keane is just a prick, he used to be quite entertaining but I think that was more to do with the fact it his rants were always aimed at Ferguson .

Before kick off he growled that no top side would take any of the Spurs players till Jamie Redknapp said what about Son and Kane ? Ok those two I would take yeah said Father Jack and then admitted the centre half would get in Utd’s side and the left back also was pretty good, so in a matter of seconds it went from none to four .

• Upvote 1

"It seems that McBurnie’s sole purpose for being a footballer is to win free-kicks. That’s the only thing he does." 

Incorrect. He also makes an absolute arse of himself by refusing to join team huddles. Because he's a Rangers fan and huddles are Fenian behaviour, apparently.

This was going on last night again:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oli-mcburnie-john-fleck-huddle-23459597

• Upvote 1

"Trent was deeper, Robbo was pushed so far forward he was almost back in Hull, Sadio seemed a lot more central and Curtis was around the box a lot more than usual. I’m hoping that means we’re mixing it up a bit in order to be less predictable".

Yes, it was good to see some adaptation. Kabak is going to need help against better players and we'll have to find a way to do that without blunting the full backs. Good to see Trent back on good form. Robertson should have scored half a dozen this season, it's the only blot on his work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

"It seems that McBurnie’s sole purpose for being a footballer is to win free-kicks. That’s the only thing he does." 

Incorrect. He also makes an absolute arse of himself by refusing to join team huddles. Because he's a Rangers fan and huddles are Fenian behaviour, apparently.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oli-mcburnie-john-fleck-huddle-23459597

This sectarian shit is wild.

• Upvote 1

Keane's just like Piers Morgan. It's his job to be miserable, opinionated and controversial, but ultimately there's no direction or aim to it. Sometimes it'll land on someone and we'll laugh, sometimes it'll land on someone and we'll agree, sometimes it'll land on someone and we'll think he's a prick.

There's no doubting the effectiveness of the missile, just the guidance system is completely non-existent and it's pot luck where it lands.

• Upvote 6

We’ll see more and more of this with the introduction of concussion subs as there are managers out there (not accusing Chris Wilder by the way) who will already be coming up ways to gain an advantage from that. *glares at Mourinho*.

When I started this sentence I was sure that the last word would be "Fat Sam" - at what point did you change your mind?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Hahahaha fucking hell pair of sad cunts 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Evertonian behaviour that.

3 hours ago, StevieMax said:

We’ll see more and more of this with the introduction of concussion subs as there are managers out there (not accusing Chris Wilder by the way) who will already be coming up ways to gain an advantage from that. *glares at Mourinho*.

When I started this sentence I was sure that the last word would be "Fat Sam" - at what point did you change your mind?

He won't be in a job much longer. He'll jump off that sinking ship before it hits the Championship.

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

May I ask, I find it hard to read these match reports on google chrome.on my phone. Is there an app or something I should be using?

Patience appreciated.

It should automatically go to a more readable mobile skin.

7 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Evertonian behaviour that.

3 hours ago, StevieMax said:

He won't be in a job much longer. He'll jump off that sinking ship before it hits the Championship.

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

May I ask, I find it hard to read these match reports on google chrome.on my phone. Is there an app or something I should be using?

Patience appreciated.

It should automatically go to a more readable mobile skin.

• dave u unpinned this topic