You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jones: My goal was for Ali and his family 

TLW

Curtis Jones has paid Alisson a heartwarming tribute as Liverpool ended a four game losing streak in the league with a confidence boosting 2-0 win against bottom placed Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Sunday evening.

The goalkeeper missed the encounter with the bottom placed side on compassionate grounds due to the tragic death of his father in Brazil last week.

It has been a extremely challenging time for the team during this dip in form, but nothing compared to what the 28 year-old is currently going through.

The young midfielder who scored his first league goal for the season (and fourth in all competitions) spoke with great maturity about what this win meant to the team as the Official site reported:

“I think it’s been a difficult time for myself and the rest of the team but I’m happy that I got on the scoresheet and I’d like to take this time to say that this goal is for Ali’s dad, actually. May he rest in peace and if Ali sees this, this is for you, bro. 

“He’s a strong lad. He’s a big part of the team, of course. He’s not here today but we miss him for sure and I’d like to take this time and dedicate my goal to him and his dad and the rest of his family.”

image.png

Jones found himself with time and space after a Trent Alexander-Arnold cross was deflected into his path in the middle of the penalty area and the 20 year-old finished with aplomb.

Jurgen Klopp has often spoken about how the recent results haven’t reflected the true performances of the team and Jones said it was pleasing to put it all together and get their true reward.

“All in all it was a good team performance and I’m happy that we came away with the three points. We go again.

“We’ve had good games but we haven’t scored as many goals as we would like. But today it was a good example of us putting it all together. It was a good performance, I’m happy that I’ve scored and I’m happy for Bobby and the rest of the team.”

While Jones was happy to pay tribute to other members of the team, the manager was delighted for the player himself, saying that he is only going to get better from this point.

“There is a lot to come from Curtis. The potential is exceptional. We had a lot of talks this week, video sessions as well and we showed him just that he has to be more in these decisive areas because he's very good with the ball, his control is good. 

“He controls the game really, keeps the ball – that's all really good – but a player with this quality we need him in finishing situations as well tonight. It worked out really well, so happy about that.”

View full article