You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Owners identify Gerrard as Klopp successor

TLW

4 hours ago, Freddo said:

I guess Gerrard took a lot of identifying. Jesus. It would be the easiest and laziest appointment going. Not for me either. 

In all probability it'll be back to battling for a top 4 spot and the league Cup. 

Exactly where our spending should have us.  You're not going to find a manager who can punch above his weight every year. 

Whoever replaces klopp is onto a hiding for nothing. 

Gerrard has done well in a League that doesn’t have a lot going for it other than they can kick lumps out of each other more than in the Premier League without getting sent off.

He’s not got the same money to spend or class of player, but has managed to get them to the latter stages of the EL and is romping away with the League, but it’s still a million miles away from being manager of LFC.

Perhaps he’s serving his apprenticeship in the way FSG might want him to, we don’t know, but it might not be beyond imagination to think he asked what he might have to show before taking the reins here at some point.

That point might not be when Klopp goes, but afterwards, because if he’s got any sense, he shouldn’t be the next manager of the club, especially if we recover well next season.

Should Jurgen leave in the near future, I would expect Nuno Espírito Santo or similar to be given a shot at it.

Or even Ancellotti.

(Puts on Tin hat!)

6 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Gerrard has done well in a League that doesn’t have a lot going for it other than they can kick lumps out of each other more than in the Premier League without getting sent off.

He’s not got the same money to spend or class of player, but has managed to get them to the latter stages of the EL and is romping away with the League, but it’s still a million miles away from being manager of LFC.

Perhaps he’s serving his apprenticeship in the way FSG might want him to, we don’t know, but it might not be beyond imagination to think he asked what he might have to show before taking the reins here at some point.

That point might not be when Klopp goes, but afterwards, because if he’s got any sense, he shouldn’t be the next manager of the club, especially if we recover well next season.

Should Jurgen leave in the near future, I would expect Nuno Espírito Santo or similar to be given a shot at it.

Or even Ancellotti.

(Puts on Tin hat!)

The main thing to hope here, is this isn't a decision for this summer. I wouldn't be shocked to see klopp leave before the end of his contract - in fact if the Germany job is available after the WC, it would be a shock if he doesn't want it as it's not a job that comes up often. I'm pretty sure Löw was the manager when Beckenbauer was still playing. 

It's no secret Gerrard wants the job - I don't particularly subscribe to this point of view you have to be a manager for X amount of years. Lack of experience never stopped Kenny in 85  and experience wasn't much help to Roy Hodgson. The experience of captaining Liverpool and managing Rangers will have helped with loads of the parts of being Liverpool manager and I would like to think if Stevie was next in line, klopp wouldn't take our entire backroom with him, so he'd come in surrounded by the backroom team klopp has built. 

Honestly I don't think Gerrard managing Leicester or something would bring any preparation for Gerrard aside from re-familiarising him with the Premier League. Every single coach we hire after klopp is not just a gamble, but also has an incredible job on his hand, because klopps personality is stamped all over us. Personally I think putting the club in the hands of a club legend at that point, with all the support that brings, could actually be the best thing to do. But let's hope it's not just yet. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, suzy said:

Would Klopp actually want to manage a national team?

I think he does, I suspect it's just a question of when. I also think he'd have an excellent chance at winning either the World Cup or European Championship if he did.

Id naturally be gutted if and when he decides he wants to move on. But he'll go with my gratitude and thanks for what he's done here.

3 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Don’t want Gerrard anywhere near the team for a good few years yet, should he even prove himself worthy for it.

Sorry but some success in Scottish football doesn’t cut it for me as, well, it’s Scottish football.  

Yeah, I don’t really see how it would be any more predictive of Premier League success than signing a striker who scores 20+ per season there having not really proven he can cut it at a higher level.

It’s just not the same and, to be honest, unless he does something really outstanding in the Europa by winning the thing, I’d be more optimistic about Gerrard’s prospects if he had stayed at the club and learned from Klopp.

The way the likes of Arteta and Lampard got big jobs with teams they used to play for, we're lucky Gerrard has even proven himself as a top manager in Scotland. Let's be honest, there's a chance that even had he stayed as the LFC u18 manager or U23 and that was the height of his experience, he'd have still been considered a serious candidate to manage us.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Klopp is under contract until 2024, and I’m pretty sure he’s been on record as saying he’s never broken a contract, plus I’m sure he’s also said when he’s finished at Liverpool his intention is to take a year out. Whether the pandemic has changed his thinking, who knows?

Taking an international role though brings a different pressure on you lifestyle. He also said he'd take a year out after leaving Dortmund, yet he was in charge of us by the 9th league game of the season. I am sure the opportunity trumps a break - and who knows, perhaps he has a break option should the international job come up? It's not like we'd advertise that is it? Surely if this season teaches us anything, it's that absolutely anything is possible. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The way the likes of Arteta and Lampard got big jobs with teams they used to play for, we're lucky Gerrard has even proven himself as a top manager in Scotland. Let's be honest, there's a chance that even had he stayed as the LFC u18 manager or U23 and that was the height of his experience, he'd have still been considered a serious candidate to manage us.  

I’d have preferred he stayed with us, or at least returns to join the coaching staff for a couple of years before Klopp leaves. I can’t help but look to our run from Shankly to Dalglish and United under Ferguson and think that, more than any player or group of players, consistency and stability was a gigantic factor in their long term domination.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Taking an international role though brings a different pressure on you lifestyle. 

I am not sure Klopp's methods translate to a group of players he works with a few weeks at a time. His biggest strengths are not really tactical and especially not in game changes. He builds a culture from within. Can't do that for Germany. I do think he would like to try.

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’d have preferred he stayed with us. I can’t help but look to our run from Shankly to Dalglish and United under Ferguson and think that, more than any player or group of players, consistency and stability was a gigantic factor in their long term domination.

Gerrard obviously "knows the club" and I'm sure he still talks to Klopp. That he's left and is proving himself elsewhere is a good thing. The important thing is to show he's a good manager and he's starting to do that. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Taking an international role though brings a different pressure on you lifestyle. He also said he'd take a year out after leaving Dortmund, yet he was in charge of us by the 9th league game of the season. I am sure the opportunity trumps a break - and who knows, perhaps he has a break option should the international job come up? It's not like we'd advertise that is it? Surely if this season teaches us anything, it's that absolutely anything is possible. 

That’s a good point