You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Owners identify Gerrard as Klopp successor

TLW

Gerrard will get the job. I just hope for all our sakes its at the right time. I dont trust FSG to decide the right time though,but I would trust Gerrard if he thinks it is far more than them. The number one priority for any future LFC manager under FSG is to work within their framework and that rules out most managers.Of those who are left,Gerrard is probably right up there. I do hope its a few more seasons though,after Klopp has decided his time is up.

7 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Gonna be just great watching sections of the Liverpool support turning on another club legend the first season he doesn't have the club punching above its weight. 

Yeah, would probably help Gerrard if he didn't take over from the best manager in the world that has had the club competing for, and winning, trophies well beyond the resources spent have merited. 

On 04/03/2021 at 19:01, Section_31 said:

Nah, there's no room for sentiment in this game, you need the best person for the job, nothing else should come into it, could be Bin Laden for all I care, as long as he's got a history of success and a proven eye for a player.

Couldn’t disagree more. Once jurgen has had his long and successful stint, I want Stevie here. I will care more. Like I cared more when it was Kenny - fucking loved his last stint, irrelevant of the success. It meant more and it would with Gerrard at the helm. Even more than the Kenny stint. He has unfinished business here. People writing him off are insufferable. Familiarity breeds contempt.

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Couldn’t agree less. Once jurgen has had his long and successful stint, I want Stevie here. I will care more. Like I cared more when it was Kenny - fucking loved his last stint, irrelevant of the success. It meant more and it would with Gerrard at the helm. Even more than the Kenny stint.

Kenny's second stint was a disaster mate and illustrates my point perfectly. I love him, I always will, but he bought some of the worst players who've ever lived. If he was still here now we'd be in the vauxhalll conference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Kenny's second stint was a disaster mate and illustrates my point perfectly. I love him, I always will, but he bought some of the worst players who've ever lived. If he was still here now we'd be in the vauxhalll conference. 

Yeah, he did, but he also made me as arsed as I have been since I was a kid. Plus he had us playing some lovely football along the way. 

Klopp is a great manager and man - I just don’t love him. I don’t LOVE anything about it anymore. The only time it kicks in is the odd game I go to and I’m back amongst the fans and it brings it back with the culture of it all. 

I fucking love Stevie. I’d be fully invested in him being here. I’m still gutted he’s not playing still. While we were always away from the real top level, I loved the time he was about. I’m a bit younger than him, but grew up with him in that way. The local lad, captain, best player, thunderous tackles, pile driver shots. If he gets announced back I will have kid levels of excitement again, and that’s what it’s all about. I only get anywhere near those feelings in flashes of reminiscent stuff when I’m at the 3 or 4 games a season I travel back for. 

Probably sounds selfish and detached from the club first mentality, but it is what it is.

edit - plus Kenny bought Suarez

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Yeah, he did, but he also made me as arsed as I have been since I was a kid. Plus he had us playing some lovely football along the way. 

Klopp is a great manager and man - I just don’t love him. I don’t LOVE anything about it anymore. The only time it kicks in is the odd game I go to and I’m back amongst the fans and it brings it back with the culture of it all. 

I fucking love Stevie. I’d be fully invested in him being here. I’m still gutted he’s not playing still. While we were always away from the real top level, I loved the time he was about. I’m a bit younger than him, but grew up with him in that way. The local lad, captain, best player, thunderous tackles, pile driver shots. If he gets announced back I will have kid levels of excitement again, and that’s what it’s all about. I only get anywhere near those feelings in flashes of reminiscent stuff when I’m at the 3 or 4 games a season I travel back for. 

Probably sounds selfish and detached from the club first mentality, but it is what it is.

edit - plus Kenny bought Suarez

How can you not love Jurgen Klopp? I haven’t been to a game since the late 00s, I never watch us on telly, I don’t even know who we are playing next, but I think Jurgen is ace.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It wasn't great, but that's just bollocks. Disaster?! Behave.

He's a winner and got us challenging for trophies in no time. He also had us playing some great football too at times.

The signings weren't good enough overall, but look at who had had pulling the purse strings for fuck's sake.

Comolli got the boot first and for good reason.

Plus, none of those signings were on big wages which is why we were able to shift them all without much hassle.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, m0e said:

It wasn't great, but that's just bollocks. Disaster?! Behave.

He's a winner and got us challenging for trophies in no time. He also had us playing some great football too at times.

The signings weren't good enough overall, but look at who had had pulling the purse strings for fuck's sake.

Comolli got the boot first and for good reason.

Plus, none of those signings were on big wages which is why we were able to shift them all without much hassle.

He bought Hendo too. That turned out ok in the end.

• Upvote 1

The biggest effect of Kenny's appointment was the huge boost it gave everybody. We were in a position where the home derby, which was only a week or two away, hadn't even sold out. Of course, he should have been appointed the previous summer. 

He did a really good job when he was here, though results caught up with him a bit. Some silverware and some great football with a patchy and unbalanced squad. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Some bad signings but hardly a disaster. When he walked onto the pitch at Old Trafford I had tears in my eyes. beating them fuckers at Anfield (Kuyt hat-trick) and singing happy birthday to him from the Kop was one of 'them' moments. Also won a cup. 

• Upvote 4

But for a shocking display by Reina for chelsea's first and, Carrol's header, Cech's finger tips and bar in the 2012 Cup Final, I wonder if some would still think the King's 2nd coming was a disaster?

Dalglish will take responsibility for all the signings on his watch. What I would say is we had Comoli and Purslow running the show. The pair of them were absolute nomarks.

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

But for a shocking display by Reina for chelsea's first and, Carrol's header, Cech's finger tips and bar in the 2012 Cup Final, I wonder if some would still think the King's 2nd coming was a disaster?

Dalglish will take responsibility for all the signings on his watch. What I would say is we had Comoli and Purslow running the show. The pair of them were absolute nomarks.

Agree with you on Purslow, but Comolli did okay in terms of signings.

Suarez for a relative pittance, Henderson, Ibe and Danny Ward for a combined £500k (we probably got £30m for the pair later). Bellamy on a free and Enrique for a small fee. 

Downing was an awful signing and we somehow got most of the Carroll money back.

HYPOTHETICALLY:

If Jurgen was to decide that he’d had enough and was off in the summer, whose out there better than Gerrard?

There seems to be a dearth of quality managers out there at the minute and unless Pep declared it was his intentions to use city as a stepping stone, then I’d be happy

bringing him home.

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

HYPOTHETICALLY:

If Jurgen was to decide that he’d had enough and was off in the summer, whose out there better than Gerrard?

There seems to be a dearth of quality managers out there at the minute and unless Pep declared it was his intentions to use city as a stepping stone, then I’d be happy

bringing him home.

It depends on what stock (if any) you put in the the quality of the Scottish league. Rodgers used it as a good stepping stone and seems to have improved as a manager. Really good achievement from Stevie this year, but Celtic were a shambles from top to bottom. They'd gone badly stale. 

In my opinion, he'd really need to manage somewhere else in the Premier League for a season or two to be even  considered.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

It depends on what stock (if any) you put in the the quality of the Scottish league. Rodgers used it as a good stepping stone and seems to have improved as a manager. Really good achievement from Stevie this year, but Celtic were a shambles from top to bottom. They'd gone badly stale. 

In my opinion, he'd really need to manage somewhere else in the Premier League for a season or two to be even  considered.

I used to think that about having experience in the prem but is it all it’s cracked up to be? 

Take away jurgen, pep, Jose, carlo and possibly Tuchel for experience I’d put him above all the rest of them. 

In fact, with our resources I’d fancy him to beat all of them mentioned above with the exception of pep. 

18 minutes ago, Red74 said:

HYPOTHETICALLY:

bringing him home.

I know it's a hypothetical but Pep wouldn't come anywhere near us with FSG in charge of the purse strings. 

34 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

19 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Agree with you on Purslow, but Comolli did okay in terms of signings.

Suarez for a relative pittance, Henderson, Ibe and Danny Ward for a combined £500k (we probably got £30m for the pair later). Bellamy on a free and Enrique for a small fee. 

Downing was an awful signing and we somehow got most of the Carroll money back.

Puslow was wrong for many reasons, but as he left the club when NESV took over, it seems pretty unreasonable to pin anything on him that has happened since. 

Our signings were on Kenny and DC. But considering what we've got out of Henderson and Suarez I don't think the fact we also brought in Carrol, Adam and downing is too big a price to pay, especially when you consider DC was new to the club and Kenny had been out of the game for some time, it was always going to be a bit hit and miss. 

• Upvote 1

Kenny's solitary League Cup was our best trophy return since Rafa. And a couple of top drawer signings. Plus who can forget the exhilirating football we played at the end of his season where he replaced Hodgson,it was fantastic. He was treated terribly by FSG yet his loyalty to the club has been unwavering and his support for it almost unequalled. A class act on and off the pitch.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Puslow was wrong for many reasons, but as he left the club when NESV took over, it seems pretty unreasonable to pin anything on him that has happened since. 

Our signings were on Kenny and DC. But considering what we've got out of Henderson and Suarez I don't think the fact we also brought in Carrol, Adam and downing is too big a price to pay, especially when you consider DC was new to the club and Kenny had been out of the game for some time, it was always going to be a bit hit and miss. 

Those summer signings were a disaster and set us back years. We finished the previous season in great form as well and went two footed into our usual mental transfer breakdown.

Heartbreaking to see it. 

• Downvote 1

In one of the Simon Hughes books he says that the players lost faith in Kenny quite quickly. Apparently he was on the golf course more than Melwood and left Steve Clarke to take the majority of the training. 

Think the foreign players who weren’t happy that they couldn’t understand his accent and he wasn’t getting through to them what he wanted and all of this got fed upstairs to FSG and they decided to pull the plug. 

32 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I hate saying this but it's true. That lot have fully deserved the title this season, they've been far and away the best side regardless of how bad Celtic have been. Their mentality is spot on and thats down to Gerrard. The absolute shower of fucking cunts. 

I think we all know its gonna be Gerrard after Klopp leaves but lets hope its not for another 300 years 

43 minutes ago, Red74 said:

In one of the Simon Hughes books he says that the players lost faith in Kenny quite quickly. Apparently he was on the golf course more than Melwood and left Steve Clarke to take the majority of the training. 

Think the foreign players who weren’t happy that they couldn’t understand his accent and he wasn’t getting through to them what he wanted and all of this got fed upstairs to FSG and they decided to pull the plug. 

Noise