You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Owners identify Gerrard as Klopp successor

TLW

4 hours ago, Juniper said:

Sorry but some success in Scottish football doesn’t cut it for me as, well, it’s Scottish football.  

I largely agree. However, domestic success with a club outside the Old Firm might tell you something. Or quite a bit further success with Rangers in Europe. Meaning a Europa League semi, say. Or a decent showing in the Champions League group stages.

6 hours ago, suzy said:

Would Klopp actually want to manage a national team?

Thought the same myself. I personally don't see his style of play/management being quite as suited to the international game. Whilst his infectious enthusiasm and ability to get players to buy in is nailed on for all the nationalism of a Euro or World Cup campaign, his tactics require high levels of fitness and that can just as easily go tits up depending on how the players turn up for the major tournaments in their respective summers. Also the team building thing might not be as easy as one would think with the stop start nature of international football.

Sure it's a different challenge and, on paper anyway is less intensive but I just think he's more suited to club level football and the ability to be with a squad day in and day out through out the season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Thought the same myself. I personally don't see his style of play/management being quite as suited to the international game. Whilst his infectious enthusiasm and ability to get players to buy in is nailed on for all the nationalism of a Euro or World Cup campaign, his tactics require high levels of fitness and that can just as easily go tits up depending on how the players turn up for the major tournaments in their respective summers. Also the team building thing might not be as easy as one would think with the stop start nature of international football.

Sure it's a different challenge and, on paper anyway is less intensive but I just think he's more suited to club level football and the ability to be with a squad day in and day out through out the season.

I thought he’d miss the day to day contact with players but perhaps if he wants to step back a bit it would work. Not that I want him to go.

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I think there would be a few surprises in choices of personnel if he took the national job. I'd be surprised if any of the German media darlings weren't overlooked in favour of a few lesser players but with a high work ethic. His style seems unsuited to just picking popular choices.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree. As I remember most were gutted Kenny left and Toshack seemed to be highly touted for a while,also Roy Evans to step in(which he did later anyhow.)

I remember wanting To shack at the time, wanted Kenny back first obviously

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree. As I remember most were gutted Kenny left and Toshack seemed to be highly touted for a while,also Roy Evans to step in(which he did later anyhow.)

Toshack was another name in the ring but everyone I knew wanted Souey especially as Tosh had turned down the role once before and I think said he was happy in Spain at the time. I did say most. If I remember right, Moran was put in temporary charge so had a stronger claim than Roy. What was it you were saying about literal?

4 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

I largely agree. However, domestic success with a club outside the Old Firm might tell you something. Or quite a bit further success with Rangers in Europe. Meaning a Europa League semi, say. Or a decent showing in the Champions League group stages.

Forget he's a club legend but going from Klopp, one of the best and most in demand managers in the world to a manager who's (in that scenario) been in champions league group stages/Europa League semi... etc just isn't good enough.

That's a massive step down and we'd be mortified if it was anyone else. 

I love Gerrard but I don't want him anywhere near the job until he's seriously proven himself at a higher level for a consistent period of time.

8 hours ago, Juniper said:

Forget he's a club legend but going from Klopp, one of the best and most in demand managers in the world to a manager who's (in that scenario) been in champions league group stages/Europa League semi... etc just isn't good enough.

I love Gerrard but I don't want him anywhere near the job until he's seriously proven himself at a higher level for a consistent period of time.

I'm not advocating his appointment (whenever Klopp chooses to leave) at all. Even in the scenario above. I'm just saying that level of achievement in Scotland amounts to... something! It's more than Rodgers achieved in Europe, for starters... 

• Upvote 1

On 28/02/2021 at 23:04, Juniper said:

I agree.

Without experience of management at the top level, I think the job would be too big for him and if it went tits up, well I don't want to even think about that as he's given so much, he's a fucking icon.

I was talking to someone a while ago and he said It didn't stop you from appointing Kenny when Fagan left, because he had no managerial experience, which is true, but Kenny got help and advice from Bob Paisley and had Ronnie Moran when he started managing. 

Stevie has no-one of that stature for guidance should he need it.

But anyway, for now, we still have Jurgen Klopp, hopefully for a few years yet and when Jurgen does leave, perhaps Stevie will have proved himself, or perhaps the owners will throw a curveball and appoint someone completely different.

Who knows.

21 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I agree.

Without experience of management at the top level, I think the job would be too big for him and if it went tits up, well I don't want to even think about that as he's given so much, he's a fucking icon.

I was talking to someone a while ago and he said It didn't stop you from appointing Kenny when Fagan left, because he had no managerial experience, which is true, but Kenny got help and advice from Bob Paisley and had Ronnie Moran when he started managing

Stevie has no-one of that stature for guidance should he need it.

But anyway, for now, we still have Jurgen Klopp, hopefully for a few years yet and when Jurgen does leave, perhaps Stevie will have proved himself, or perhaps the owners will throw a curveball and appoint someone completely different.

Who knows.

we don't know who SG would bring with him. these are also the owners who appointed kenny (legend) and rodgers (completely inexperienced), so it shouldn't surprise anyone if that is the path they take. 

Personally I am not too arsed about the idea that he has to have won 4 dutch leagues or something stupid before he comes here. There are 3 major parts of a football managers job imo, being tactically smart, have the ability to manage people and personalities, be able to deal with the weight of the club you manage and the media attention that comes with it. He knows only too well the last one. He can learn (if he doesn't have it naturally) the 2nd at Rangers. The only real issue he has is being able to be tactically smarter than the manager in the opposite dugout. he can learn some of that at rangers (especially in europe). and he might have klopp's team behind him if he is the one who follows klopp. when klopp went to dortmund, all he was was mainz manager and some fell off the telly. 

Personally, I dont give this story that FSG are looking at Stevie to take over from Jurgen in the immediate future with much credence. Yeah, Im sure they are keeping a watching brief, people would likely slate them if they didnt.

I think Stevie will be manager here one day but not just yet. it's  got to be remembered Neither Bob nor Kenny had any managerial experience and kind ofhad the job thrust upon them. Bob didnt even want the job.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

we don't know who SG would bring with him. these are also the owners who appointed kenny (legend) and rodgers (completely inexperienced), so it shouldn't surprise anyone if that is the path they take. 

Personally I am not too arsed about the idea that he has to have won 4 dutch leagues or something stupid before he comes here. There 3 major parts of a football managers job imo, being tactically smart, have the ability to manage people and personalities, be able to deal with the weight of the club you manage and the media attention that comes with it. He knows only too well the last one. He can learn (if he doesn't have it naturally) the 2nd at Rangers. The only real issue he has is being able to be tactically smarter than the manager in the opposite dugout. he can learn some of that at rangers (especially in europe). and he might have klopp's team behind him if he is the one who follows klopp. when klopp went to dortmund, all he was was mainz manager and some fell off the telly. 

Nothing would surprise me mate which is why I said the owners may throw a curveball.

Stevie's doing a great job at Rangers even though it is a weak league and if he ever got offered the job here, I would get right behind him as we all should.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's simply shoddy, lazy sensationalist journalism to create a headline that suggests a prospective bid by the German FA equates to FSG 'identifying' Gerrard as the successor to Klopp. 

Managing a two-bit club in a two-bit league is nowhere near the level required to manage Liverpool at any time. But especially now that we've re-established ourselves on the English, European and world stages. Gerrard needs to sit down, take his time, and properly cut his teeth at far bigger more successful clubs, if they are willing to take a chance on him in the first place. Let them take the hit on his managerial inexperience, not his beloved Liverpool. If he can show repeated success at progressively bigger clubs, then he'll be a contender, but not the walk-in many may expect.

Besides, what's the hurry? He will be all too aware of what's happened with Lampard, the man he's always been matched with and compared against. Would he really want that to be his fate if he were to return too early? Would he want to be responsible for another Souness style clusterfuck when he followed Dalglish and the years of instability that followed? Having left Rangers far behind, take at least 8-10 years to mature as a man and a manager, and if at that point there's an opportunity to return to Liverpool, then if he has developed as a manager, then he could spend the following 8-10+ years at Liverpool.  

In all circumstances, he must put the needs of Liverpool FC above his own, regardless of how he might want to step back into the club that he sees as his destiny, as a returning hero. I fear his ego and his misplaced sense of his own self worth and confidence may preclude that.

19 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

It's simply shoddy, lazy sensationalist journalism to create a headline that suggests a prospective bid by the German FA equates to FSG 'identifying' Gerrard as the successor to Klopp. 

Managing a two-bit club in a two-bit league is nowhere near the level required to manage Liverpool at any time. But especially now that we've re-established ourselves on the English, European and world stages. Gerrard needs to sit down, take his time, and properly cut his teeth at far bigger more successful clubs, if they are willing to take a chance on him in the first place. Let them take the hit on his managerial inexperience, not his beloved Liverpool. If he can show repeated success at progressively bigger clubs, then he'll be a contender, but not the walk-in many may expect.

Besides, what's the hurry? He will be all too aware of what's happened with Lampard, the man he's always been matched with and compared against. Would he really want that to be his fate if he were to return too early? Would he want to be responsible for another Souness style clusterfuck when he followed Dalglish and the years of instability that followed? Having left Rangers far behind, take at least 8-10 years to mature as a man and a manager, and if at that point there's an opportunity to return to Liverpool, then if he has developed as a manager, then he could spend the following 8-10+ years at Liverpool.  

In all circumstances, he must put the needs of Liverpool FC above his own, regardless of how he might want to step back into the club that he sees as his destiny, as a returning hero. I fear his ego and his misplaced sense of his own self worth and confidence may preclude that.

Gerrard's ego doesn't come into it. He can't rock up to Boston and force them to hire him. If he had that much influence he would have got the 2 year pay per play deal he wanted to finish his career here instead of them basically forcing his hand to leave the club if he wanted to play his final 2 seasons as planned. If Steven Gerrard is offered the job, it will be because FSG think he's the best option they have at that point in time. That doesn't mean the best manager available in the market, but the best for their aims at that point. If Gerrard is offered the chance, he should snatch their hands off - and that has nothing to do with ego, quite the opposite, the chance may never come again.

If Gerrard gets offered the job, don't be blaming him for taking it, absolutely anyone with the drive, belief and ambition required to do the job would take it, ego doesn't play a part. 

40 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Yeah you do know Dortmund appointed Jurgen as manager on the strength of his achievements of getting Mainz promoted from a '2 bob league'?

Honestly, some of the shite being spoken about Gerrard not being fit to manage Liverpool is just beyond comprehension. As for talk about his 'ego'? Dear, oh, dear, oh dear.

You can frequently identify managers who've been promoted beyond their competence. Managers such as solskjaer at Cardiff, Lampard at chelsea, Moyes at united. Conversely, you can see those who are cut out to be top managers.

Is Gerrard currently a good enough manager for Liverpool? Some people seem to ignore acertain Kenny Dalglish being appointed player manager at Liverpool despite having absolutely no managerial experience.

Some may say he had Bob and Joe to rely on. I dont think Kenny was constantly on to Bob and Joe what to do. He was his own man.

Whether Gerrard gets the chance to manage Liverpool before 2024 is, in my opinion, unlikely. He has another 2 probably 3 years before he gets the chance. If he wins another 2 or 3 scottish league titles, he'll be as good a shout as any out there to get the job. 8 to 10 years? People are having a laugh.

Ive seen people saying Lijnders should be our next manager. Based on what, a failed stint in Holland and being part of Jurgen's backroom team? Thanks, but no thanks.

• Upvote 1