You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Owners identify Gerrard as Klopp successor

TLW

Steven Gerrard is the man that the Liverpool owners see as the perfect replacement for Jurgen Klopp.

Reports coming from Germany say that their football federation are growing more confident that Klopp will say yes to succeeding current national manager Joachim Low.

The under-fire 61 year-old has a contract until the end of next years World Cup in Qatar but there is a strong belief that he will not get to that point if Germany struggle in the European Championships this summer.

Low has been in charge of Germany since 2006 and in that time has won the World Cup in 2014 and runners-up in the 2008 European Championships.

The defence to their World Cup triumph at Russia 2018 was shambolic to say the least ast they finished bottom of their group and the first time in 80 years that the powerhouse had been eliminated in the group stage.

Since that time, the spotlight has been well and truly in Low and results have been inconsistent,to say the least with their last game in the Nations League being a 6-0 humbling at the hands of Spain.

Klopp’s current contract with the Reds ends in 2024 and in the midst of the tough current run the team is on, there has been speculation that he may look to move on before then.

The man himself has categorically denied any thoughts of leaving, but if Klopp is lured to the national job before time, The Mirror reports it appears Gerrard is the man that John Henry and Tom Werner have identified as the successor.

This is certainly not the first time that the former talismanic captain has been linked to the post,and while at first it may have been purely on his playing deeds, Gerrard has certainly grown into his managerial craft north of the border after previously doing some very impressive work at the Liverpool academy.

The Champions League winning captain is on the cusp of guiding Rangers to their first league title since the 2010/11 season, ending the stranglehold that Celtic had on the league.

image.png

Gerrard has also done fine work in the Europa League as Rangers have advanced to the R16 stage for the second season in a row.

The argument against appointing Gerrard is somewhat valid when you consider the gulf in standard between the Scottish and Premier League and taking on a job as big as Liverpool at such a young age that could set him back immeasurably if it does not go well. 

We saw what happened at Chelsea when Frank Lampard took on the role which in hindsight was a bit too early in his managerial career.

Gerrard has not hidden his ambitions of taking over the managerial hot-seat at his boyhood club, but to this point in time he is going about things in a very considered fashion.

Whether he decides to build a culture of success at Rangers much like Brendan Rodgers did at Celtic before coming back to England will be interesting to note.

In a perfect world Liverpool will hold on to Jurgen until the end of his current contract but as we know all too well, things do not often go to strictly to plan.

View full article

Klopp is one of the best managers in the world.

I don't think this fact is really in question - even our deepest rivals would concede that he's in the top five, and most would say it's him and Guardiola for the best manager in the world right now.

If he leaves because he's fed up or sick of our injury situation or whatever, fine - there's nothing we could have done about that. But if he leaves because we decide that Gerrard might actually be a better manager than him, then whoever makes that decision needs their head examined.

In 5 or 10 years, if Gerrard keeps the level of what he's doing in Scotland, preferably if he's moved to an English club and continued to show the same level of managerial promise, then maybe you can start to compare him (as a manager) with Klopp in terms of who might make a better manager for Liverpool. Right now, it's not even close.

• Upvote 2

I’m not sure Rogers ‘built a culture of success’ at Celtic. It was already there and he skipped off well before the end of his 3rd season. From the same article “Champions League winning captain is on the cusp of guiding Rangers to their first league title since the 2010/11 season, ending the stranglehold that Celtic had on the league.”

As for Stevie G, if & when Jurgen moves on, I will welcome him with open arms.

The garbage these papers just come out with. It must be so easy being a journalist these days.

Just throw in a ‘believed to be’ or a ‘could’ and you’re immediately absolving yourself of any requirement to check sources or put your reputation on the line.

Of course they’d consider Gerrard if Klopp left, doesn’t mean he’d get it.

It’s all bollocks though, I’d love to know which manager in world football would have coped with the injuries we’ve had. Last year Man City got slack because Laporte was out for a lot of the season, we’ve had about 5 or 6 first 11 players missing for massive chunks at the same time. It’s ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

Personally I think the club wanted him there as the goldfish bowl experience is not dissimilar to here.

I've got to say I'm getting a little nervous around all this. First their was talk of klopp quitting, then the whole Rafa "I'll step in in a crisis" and now this. We need to get a load of wins on the board just to strangle the oxygen out of these stories. That's 3 in a fortnight. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I think the club wanted him there as the goldfish bowl experience is not dissimilar to here.

I've got to say I'm getting a little nervous around all this. First their was talk of klopp quitting, then the whole Rafa "I'll step in in a crisis" and now this. We need to get a load of wins on the board just to strangle the oxygen out of these stories. That's 3 in a fortnight. 

My thoughts exactly. Who will it be next week. Robbie, who I love by the way now as enough experience in India or wherever to warrant a crack at the job. 

4 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

First Rafa and now Jurgen. Dont want this Lampard-lite within a million miles of our team again.

Saying you don’t want him to manage us now is one thing, but to say you don’t ever want him here again is mind boggling. Based on what?

Also, with ‘Lampard-lite’ are you calling Gerrard a shit version of Lampard? If so...you fucking what??

At present I wouldn't want him anywhere near our first team as manager. He needs to go get some experience in a competitive league first at least. Even then I'm not at all convinced, afterall Joke Hole could do what Messi could with ease. 

In my view there is a few out there I'd pick before him at present and probably also in the future. Unknown entity, winning in Scotland means nothing these days. Celtic are a shambles at the moment and Rangers are like watching paint dry. 

But who knows maybe he's got it. I doubt it though big time. My money is on him doing the LMA tour at some point like fathead, Hughes and the rest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Saying you don’t want him to manage us now is one thing, but to say you don’t ever want him here again is mind boggling. Based on what?

Also, with ‘Lampard-lite’ are you calling Gerrard a shit version of Lampard? If so...you fucking what??

Lampard is twice the man Gerrard is. Deal with it.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Media deffo on the Klopp's in trouble,worn out train now

Gone from being the best in the world 3 months ago to being shipped out by them cunts. 

Yeah, it's a story that says the German FA will make an approach for Klopp and yet you say it's the owners shipping him out? You must live in an alternate reality.

• Upvote 1