You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group W (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group W (Vote for your top 2)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group W (Vote for your top 2)

• Joy Division - Closer
    • Bob Marley - Exodus
    • Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
    • The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/21 at 15:15

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bob and S&G by a mile. 

Can't wait for Tony or easytoslip to go "I've never heard of the Streets so I gave that song a go you facking caaaant"

Ha ha. I’ve heard of The Streets, although they’re not my cup of tea. About 18 years ago, at a music festival, I was ten sheets to the wind and desperate for a shit. I did the deed in some bushes, panicked and used my top to wipe my arse. I then bought a new t-shirt from a merchandise vendor. I woke up the next morning and realised it was a sodding Streets one!

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

There are some good songs on The Streets' first album but I think this one is pretty awful.

Hahaha I didn’t even notice. I thought it was the first album. An album with Dry your eyes mate and Fit but you know it has made it into a best album of all time competition. 

You can sign up here @Captain Turdseye

Gettin ever Closer to Exodus.

I know they are well liked held in high regard and will go through, but for me, S&G is, at least in an album form, always like a good cup of tea you forgot you already put sugar in so you solider on until you decide that is too sweet after all and chuck the rest of the cup into the sink.

Tried to listen to The Streets, at first I was intrigued, then bored, then slightly irritated. It for some reason reminded me of  Carter USM, though not musically. I guess you had to be there at 16 to have that on your top 10.  

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Hahaha I didn’t even notice. I thought it was the first album. An album with Dry your eyes mate and Fit but you know it has made it into a best album of all time competition. 

You can sign up here @Captain Turdseye

Can’t say I put much thought into this, to be honest. Haven’t listened to it for years. I was about 15 when it came out. Who seconded it?

On 09/02/2021 at 15:05, Red74 said:

Ziggy Stardust - Bowie

Exit Planet Dust - Chemical Bros

Vertigo - Groove Armada

Appetite for destruction - Guns n Roses

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

Grand don’t come for free - Streets

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Screamadelica - Primal Scream

Squeeze - 45’s and under

Sgt Pepper

38 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Can’t say I put much thought into this, to be honest. Haven’t listened to it for years. I was about 15 when it came out. Who seconded it?

Got to say I’m struggling to see how someone can have both Innervisions and that Streets album in their top ten of all time. 

57 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I grew up with Bridge over troubled water always on in my dads car.  The boxer is probably in my top 5 songs. 

When I was about 11 I got a copy of Sham 69's "That's Life" from Woolworths. Someone at the shop had put "Bridge Over Troubled Water" in the sleeve instead. With hindsight, they were probably trying to do me a favour and educate me, but - like a twat - I went back and swapped the absolute masterpiece for a piece of dreck.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Red74 said:

It’s albums not singles sir. 

I realise that but I haven't the time nor inclination to listen to that many songs. 

I've liked other Joy Division songs, that one didn't do it for me. I think I probably know loads of Simon and Garfunkel songs without knowing it's them but this one seemed like I was waiting for it to kick in the whole song. I already knew that abysmal Streets song, absolute muff garbage and has no right to be mentioned in this contest. 

Unfortunate if they are unrepresentative of the rest of the album but shot happens.