You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group S (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group S (Vote for your top 2)  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group S (Vote for your top 2)

• Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    • Paul Simon - Graceland
    • Nirvana - In Utero
    • AC/DC - Back in Black

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/02/21 at 14:12

Just voted for Paul Simon. I do like some Nirvana songs,they made some cracking individual efforts but I dont think I'd like too many apart from the well known ones. AC/DC and The Stone Roses are two of my least favourite acts when I've heard their songs. I'd much rather listen to any Oasis song than a Stone Roses effort.

Stone Roses must be the most overrated band in history.

And that album is massively overrated.

I understand what it was like at time - i was about 17 when it came out, and i lived in that time, its good (mostly) they were OK....but for me the almost mythical status of them and it is way OTT.

• Upvote 2

In Utero (See my post in teh NErmind Group) and Graceland.

Stoen Roses- While this is a good album, and I am an admirer of them. The Roses are one of the most over-hyped bands (Well mainly Ian Brown being overrated) I have ever heard. And Second Coming is better IMO.

AC/DC - Never been a fan. Listened to loads of their stuff and used to have Live at Donnington but they just don't do it for me.

Stone Roses, no idea why they are getting a bit of a pasting on here so far, that debut album is easily in my top 10 of all time and every single second on that album is absolutely glorious. Alright, replace Elizabeth My Dear with Where Angels Play and you've got the perfect album. We know Ian Brown was always a bit of a creature, but he was on top form on that album and Fool;s Gold apart, he never reached that form again.   

Going with Graceland as my second pick because it's just a great, feelgood album.  

I don't mind Nirvana and AC/DC but i much prefer Nevermind to In Utero and the Bon Scott era AC/DC to the screaming horror of Brian Johnson.

As mentioned in the other group I prefer In Utero to Nevermind so that gets one vote.

Second vote goes to Stone Roses, I echo some of the comments on here about the hype exceeding the bands output, that stuff they put out a couple of years back was awful and I also prefer Second Coming to this one. That said this album was era defining so yeah it gets my vote but against a tougher group it may not have done.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The Stone Roses and In Utero.

I listened to Graceland again now, it is very easy on the ears except for that one song I can't stand, but it is ultimately a bit too starbucksy for me. Stig says Back in Black is going out anyway.   

The introduction to the RoW of master musicians like Ray Phiri and Kumalo as well as Ladysmith Black Mambazo was as far from Starbucks as you could have got at the time. 

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The introduction to the RoW of master musicians like Ray Phiri and Kumalo as well as Ladysmith Black Mambazo was as far from Starbucks as you could have got at the time. 

I don't know what was Starbucks playing in 1986, but the final album still sounds a little bit too cute for me.