You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Balague: Benitez has a desire to manage Liverpool again

TLW

Rafa Benitez feels he has unfinished business at Liverpool and would love to manage the club again one day.

The 60 year-old Spaniard is currently out of work after latest club Dalian Pro in the Chinese SuperLeague in late January.

The well-travelled manager is known as someone who loves a project and Journalist and close confidant Guillem Balague has said that he would love a return to Liverpool although it is not on the cards at this time.

The Echo reported Balague as saying:

“There is a feeling of unfinished business with Rafa and Liverpool, I've always said that.

“Rafa would love to be the Liverpool manager at some point. Maybe in a time of crisis, proper crisis, not what's happening now.

“Maybe in a time where there's a need for a strong personality to steady a ship. But right now in the way that the owners are behaving and Klopp and everything, that situation doesn't exist.

"How can we think that Klopp has reached the end of an era? Look at the bigger picture, how can anyone suggest that?

"It's laughable. It's stupid and absurd to be talking about a future without Klopp."

The issue regarding who will succeed Klopp when the time comes has sprung to life during the last few weeks.

Unsubstantiated rumours a few weeks ago that the German was considering his position due to the significant drop in form by the team turned out to be just that, as it was revealed he was dealing with a personal tragedy with the passing of his mother.

There will come a time when Klopp does decide to walk away from this fantastic team that he built and while it will be a incredibly sad day, there will be no lack of suitors for the role.

61617127-jurgen-klopp.jpg

The main question is would they look to bring back a manager past or look at someone with progressive Football philosophies.

Benitez unquestionably won the hearts of a lot of Liverpool fans with his ability to connect with the fanbase on and off the pitch and restoring Liverpool’s name as the pre-eminent team in Europe.

He fought the good fight against Liverpool’s rivals, never taking a backward step ruffling plenty of feathers and creating everlasting memories along the way.

His disputes with the owners at the time will go down in Anfield folklore, but his pre-occupation with what was happening off the pitch ended up affecting performances on it and his own judgement when it came to buying and selling players.

It would be harsh to say that Benitez’s best days are behind him, but would he be able to re-invent and alter his pragmatic ways, something that his old sparring partner Jose Mourinho has failed to do?

At this stage it is nothing more than a hypothetical scenario and may very well remain that way. 

But like many things in Football, it presents itself as an interesting talking point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

I reckon Rodgers gets a second crack of the whip before Rafa does and both of them would be panic acquisitions when Stevie has us hovering above the relegation places come January of his first season.

i wonder if perhaps they would see him as an advisor to stevie - a little like paisley was for kenny. i know slightly different as kenny hadn't managed at all. 

anyway, fingers crossed it's not a fucking discussion and klopp is around for some time yet. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i wonder if perhaps they would see him as an advisor to stevie - a little like paisley was for kenny. i know slightly different as kenny hadn't managed at all. 

anyway, fingers crossed it's not a fucking discussion and klopp is around for some time yet. 

Stevie would probably ring Woy for advice before he took any from Rafa. Not exactly the warmest relationship.

5 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Stevie would probably ring Woy for advice before he took any from Rafa. Not exactly the warmest relationship.

it's not about having a mate. it is about having someone around you who can help. i always find it strange we all think people in football need to have great relationships. i am sure it helps at times and i can see why many would sooner play for klopp than rafa, but ultimately like any of us going to work, you need to work with the right people and not just the ones you like otherwise we'd all go to work with our mates.