You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Job with no qualifications.

benwasmydog

6 hours ago, benwasmydog said:

Don't know if anyone is interested in a career at sea with no qualifications needed but the Royal Fleet Auxiliary are recruiting. Go to the Royal Navy website and read up. Hope this helps someone.

My mates partner has just been accepted to join the RFL as a trainee chef and is hoping to be in the next intake in May. He did try to join the Army and Navy but having had a bout of depression 10 years or so ago, got turned down.

23 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Harsh!

Its a tricky one, you're told to talk to people when you think youve got depression, so he went to the doctors. Obviously its then on his medical record so then the Navy and Army see this they dont want to know. I guess they dont want someone with mental health issues in charge of a weapon.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I smell a press gang here. Get to the docks and get knocked unconscious with a big cartoon hammer before waking up in the hold surrounded by loads of others miles out at sea. Its the new Royal Navy recruitment campaign. Bumming is optional.

Apparently the glass bottomed tankard was invented in Liverpool. Press gangs used to drop shillings in people's pints and when they picked it out the gang would collar them for 'accepting the King's shilling', so scousers started putting glass bottoms in them so they could check the bottom before they had a drink. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

Its a tricky one, you're told to talk to people when you think youve got depression, so he went to the doctors. Obviously its then on his medical record so then the Navy and Army see this they dont want to know. I guess they dont want someone with mental health issues in charge of a weapon.

Its never stopped them before.

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

weapon

They’re the weapon if this is the case. A ‘bout’ of depression ten years ago shouldn’t be a full stop for any future career in the armed forces. Reasonable adjustments could/should come into play here.

Of course, we don’t know the details of your mates partners specific case but generally speaking...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Apparently the glass bottomed tankard was invented in Liverpool. Press gangs used to drop shillings in people's pints and when they picked it out the gang would collar them for 'accepting the King's shilling', so scousers started putting glass bottoms in them so they could check the bottom before they had a drink. 

Every day is a school day. Very interesting.

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

They’re the weapon if this is the case. A ‘bout’ of depression ten years ago shouldn’t be a full stop for any future career in the armed forces. Reasonable adjustments could/should come into play here.

Of course, we don’t know the details of your mates specific case but generally speaking...

Its a really difficult one, I didnt know him when he had depression but I'm led to believe it was over the death of his best friend. His current partner says that there may have been a bit of attention seeking rather than full blown depression. Either way it didnt last that long and its bitten him on the arse 10 years on although hes happy to be going in to the RFA.

8 minutes ago, A Red said:

Its a really difficult one, I didnt know him when he had depression but I'm led to believe it was over the death of his best friend. His current partner says that there may have been a bit of attention seeking rather than full blown depression. Either way it didnt last that long and its bitten him on the arse 10 years on although hes happy to be going in to the RFA.

I guess it should fall into some kind of mental health assessment at the time of application, in the same way you’d have to complete a physical one. If this was done and it raised a red flag then fair enough, if it was simply based on a ten year old medical record then it seems a flawed and not particularly enlightened process. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I guess it should fall into some kind of mental health assessment at the time of application, in the same way you’d have to complete a physical one. If this was done and it raised a red flag then fair enough, if it was simply based on a ten year old medical record then it seems a flawed and not particularly enlightened process. 

It was my assumption that if you looked into peoples history for anxiety and depression from any time, you'd be ruling out about 50%+ of the population.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

A job at sea with no qualifications? Yeah, sign me up. As long as it doesn't involve doing all of the shittiest jobs on board and being outranked by a mop.

Better be good promotion prospects too. If I don't make Admiral inside of 3 years, I'm going back to McDonalds.

No mop, just knee pads. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

A job at sea with no qualifications? Yeah, sign me up. As long as it doesn't involve doing all of the shittiest jobs on board and being outranked by a mop.

Better be good promotion prospects too. If I don't make Admiral inside of 3 years, I'm going back to McDonalds.

First day.

"So when do I get to steer this thing and use all the cool gadgets?"

"You're on shit bucket duty. Indefinitely."

• Upvote 1