You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group Q (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group Q (Vote for your top 2)  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group Q (Vote for your top 2)

• David Bowie - Low
    • Human League - Dare
    • Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    • Miles Davies - King of Blue

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 14:26

39 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Jazz is pretty varied. Afro Cuban Jazz, Gypsy Jazz and Cape Jazz are ace. Avant Garde Jazz is insufferable. 

Agree with the first parts there but there is some amazing avant garde jazz out there too.

This was certainly considered avant garde when it was released...

Just now, Mook said:

Agree with the first parts there but there is some amazing avant garde jazz out there too.

Not for me. 

When It starts becoming weird I can't be doing with it. I don't like Jazz that is firmly up its own arse. 

I appreciate that you may feel a certain anus related admiration for it. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I think its more the fact that people realise that one of the most influential and acclaimed figures in the history of jazz and 20th-century music is better than "Don't you want me baby? Don't you want me? ohoooohhoh Don't you want me baby Don't you want me? ohooohhohoho" ........... probably. 

One of my favourite songs, that.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Do people actually listen to Miles Davis and other jazz because they genuinely enjoy it? Or is it some badge of cool that I don't really understand?

I find a lot of the faster jazz mainly unlistenable but Kind of Blue is an absolute masterpiece.

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think jazz guitar sounds brilliant to listen to for short periods. It can get a bit self indulgent though.

You may well dug this then mate, Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrel.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0hMuKAciHKinu4L3R4Ojjl?si=4d7ZsQMOSWOBq9zZ88e0CQ&utm_source=copy-link

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Do people actually listen to Miles Davis and other jazz because they genuinely enjoy it? Or is it some badge of cool that I don't really understand?

Kind of Blue is one of the very few jazz albums I've ever listened to right through, much less played again. Like you perhaps, I've never gotten past The Jazz Club's take on the genre.

• Upvote 1