Quantcast
Greatest Album Ever - Group P (Vote for your top 2) - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group P (Vote for your top 2)

Greatest Album Ever - Group P (Vote for your top 2)  

58 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group P (Vote for your top 2)

• Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang Clan
    • The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    • Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness
    • Portishead - Dummy

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 09:07

The Queen is Dead is the best Smiths album IMO. Struggled between Wu Tang and Portishead but went with Enter the Wu Tang Clan. Just. 

‘I See A Darkness’ is the greatest album written about depression and despondency ever, no exception.

I don’t expect it to win, nor even make the cut really, but at least a few more people will listen to it and hear its beauty. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

‘I See A Darkness’ is the greatest album written about depression and despondency ever, no exception.

I don’t expect it to win, nor even make the cut really, but at least a few more people will listen to it and hear its beauty. 

Grace ? 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Grace ? 

Grace is wonderful, but it’s a little indulgent and feels a bit forced and knowing at times.

ISAD Is genuinely in the pits of depression and seeking clarity, it’s a true testament, in my opinion, with none of the edges smoothed.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

ISAD Is genuinely in the pits of depression and seeking clarity, it’s a true testament, in my opinion, with none of the edges smoothed.

Is that why you haven't voted for it? 

14 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Was listening to Wu Tang last night, miles ahead of anything else in this group. 

Yep.

Apologies, Stig, would be chucking away a vote if I bothered with one of the other three.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is that why you haven't voted for it? 

I've not voted on any.

Nomintated it as I saw somebody else had and thought I would as well so it made the cut and a few more people might hear it.

I think it's as close to a masterpiece as you can get.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yep.

Apologies, Stig, would be chucking away a vote if I bothered with one of the other three.

Nonsense 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

I've not voted on any.

Nomintated it as I saw somebody else had and though I would as welll so a few more people might hear it.

I think it's as close to a masterpiece as you can get.

Just vote or it might get a duck 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Stig, I've no idea who or what Bonnie Prince Billy is and I think the other two bands are utter shite.

Haha fair enough 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just vote or it might get a duck 

Considering it's subject matter that would be quite fitting...

I used to go in a pub years ago, every now and again, which we nicknamed 'God's waiting room' as it was filled with old, sad, soaks waiting around to die, but they knew how to choose their staff, if you know what I mean.

Before I left everytime I'd stick a quid in the JB and play 'I See A Darkness' five times on repeat.

I still think the depression in that place was so entrentched that they just assumed it was their internal monologue...

• Upvote 1

39 chambers is great, but I can't think of Wu-Tang without all their side projects coming to mind.  Went for TQID and Dummy. The Queen is Dead is their best album. Dummy could have been released anytime after 1994 and still hold its own against pretty much anything released in the intervening years. Such an amazing album with a sound all of it's own. 

I have a friend who was into Palace Brothers (that's early Bonnie Prince Billy) from the start and regularly raved about them and brought their albums round, but although it should sort of be up my alley, I could never stand Oldham. I found his voice and the songs just so irritating that I mostly avoided his later works.

I am playing Wu Tang's album now and it is pretty good, nice to bob your head to while I'm working and here and there add an occasional fist in the air, but Dummy was something special when it came out, even though it was outside the area of my immediate interest. The Queen Is Dead is a personal favourite, so voting British here.  

15 minutes ago, cochyn said:

39 chambers is great, but I can't think of Wu-Tang without all their side projects coming to mind.  Went for TQID and Dummy. The Queen is Dead is their best album. Dummy could have been released anytime after 1994 and still hold its own against pretty much anything released in the intervening years. Such an amazing album with a sound all of it's own. 

Was this that secret album that absolute cunt bought a while back?

36 Chambers is a masterpiece and C.R.E.A.M. is magestical.

That and Dummy for me.

• Upvote 1

This is one of the great things about these tournaments. The Smiths are an easy No.1 choice but arriving at a No.2 will require me having a listen to artists I’ve never heard of, or have rarely listened to.

I’ll be back. 

23 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Was this that secret album that absolute cunt bought a while back?

36 Chambers is a masterpiece and C.R.E.A.M. is magestical.

That and Dummy for me.

Haha. Got my copy from Chester market, mate.  The photocopied cover is getting hard to read.

• Upvote 1

Probably the hardest group so far for me. The Wu is quite possibly my most listened to album of all time, and both Dummy and The Queen is Dead could easily have made my top 10. Went with The Queen is Dead, but feel dirty given what a complete tool Morrissey is.