You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

(Re-Run) Greatest Album Ever - Group N - Vote For Your Top 2

Bjornebye

(Re-Run) Greatest Album Ever - Group N - Vote For Your Top 2  

71 members have voted

1. 1. (Re-Run) Greatest Album Ever - Group N - Vote For Your Top 2

• Bob Dylan - Blond on Blond
    • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    • Steely Dan - Aja
    • Oasis - Definitely Maybe

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/21 at 10:45

Listened to Definitely Maybe all the way through for the first time this morning.  I was not impressed.  Don't get me wrong, I like catchy riffs (even if some of them are nicked) and mindless first-rhyme-that-pops-into-your-head lyrics. There's definitely a place for that sort of thing; it's basically the backbone of rock and.  But a whole album? Not for me, Clive.  I just got bored. 

Two out of three it is, then. 

23 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Listened to Definitely Maybe all the way through for the first time this morning.  I was not impressed.  Don't get me wrong, I like catchy riffs (even if some of them are nicked) and mindless first-rhyme-that-pops-into-your-head lyrics. There's definitely a place for that sort of thing; it's basically the backbone of rock and.  But a whole album? Not for me, Clive.  I just got bored. 

Just listened to Aja.  Snoozy pop-jazz of the kind that oozed out of late-night radios throughout the following decade or so. Another album that's just got one pace. They could do with a bit of what Oasis had too much of.

Blonde On Blonde and Rumours it is, then. 

Rumours - I just don't get it. I know it is the ultimate AOR megaseller, remember reading about the marketing campaign pulling all the stops, "put one in every home", but there must have been a considerable initial attraction. Listening to it now, it's just so professional, polished, expertly written blandness. Bland on bland.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Rumours - I just don't get it. I know it is the ultimate AOR megaseller, remember reading about the marketing campaign pulling all the stops, "put one in every home", but there must have been a considerable initial attraction. Listening to it now, it's just so professional, polished, expertly written blandness. Bland on bland.

The songs were/are played non-stop on the radio too, which always helps sell records.

Does absolutely nothing for me I have to say.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yeah, there's about four good songs on it, would back a cracking EP.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

The songs were/are played non-stop on the radio too, which always helps sell records.

Does absolutely nothing for me I have to say.

There's some good tracks on it, though i never bought it and it's not one I'd listen to at home, it's OK when your out and on the jukebox I suppose. 

It's not as polished as Tonight's the Night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Still think Definitely Maybe is absolutely brilliant, no matter how awful much of what followed turned out to be. And though I am well aware that it contains plenty of stream of consciousness nonsense lyrics – and that Noel became an undeniably 'will this do' lyricist from Morning Glory onwards – being 16 when it came out and growing up in a boring small town, there have been very few albums that have meant more to me lyrically. 

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

I'm always amazed when I hear stories about the making of that record.  The band were putting themselves and each other through emotional torture, but nothing of that comes through; the record is painless, polished and pretty, while their lives were anything but.

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm always amazed when I hear stories about the making of that record.  The band were putting themselves and each other through emotional torture, but nothing of that comes through; the record is painless, polished and pretty, while their lives were anything but.

I disagree. “Dreams” and “Go Your Own Way”, for example, document the breakdown of Nicks and Buckingham’s relationship.

16 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don't mind Rumours but it's pretty bland isn't it? Can't understand the shouts that it might win the whole thing. I fucking hope not anyway. I accidentally voted for it instead of Dylan but doesn't look like it'll make any difference anyway. 

Rumours is my favourite album of all time. It’s pretty much a flawless soft rock/pop album. It has got no chance of winning this tournament, though. I’m surprised it has received as many votes as it has, given most of the previous discussions on here about Fleetwood Mac have been in relation to Peter Green rather than the Buckingham Nicks era.